Precious Metal Clay (PMC)

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

richardandtracy

Precious Metal Clay (PMC)

Post by richardandtracy »

My wife didn't want to go to a Precious Metal Clay Jewellery Making course on her own at the local Adult Education Centre, so volunteered me to come with her.

Precious Metal Clay is a fairly new material where you obtain something rather like modelling clay, and mould it like kiddies clay. Then after it dries out, it can be cooked, and the polymer binder burns off, leaving a precious metal powder to sinter together to form a solid metal object. This is most commonly done with jewellery metals, gold, silver and sterling silver. There are other options too, like bronze and possibly stainless steel. The fine silver (99.5% silver) clay can be fired with a blow torch, while the others need a kiln.

Now, my interest in making jewellery is, frankly, nil. However, there are other things that can be done with the stuff, so I thought I'd investigate the possibility of making some pen parts from the clay. Particularly a pen clip and a decal to go on the end of a pen cap. Trying to get an Anglo-Saxon theme to the clip decoration, I ended up with this from bronze PMC:
(The CP on the decal is for 'Chestnut Pens')

It seems the material has possibilities... But for bronze it needs a kiln, and the firing cycle is
room temp -> 350C for 30 mins to burn off the binder,
back to room temp, cover with coconut charcoal,
room temp->810C, dwell for 20 mins,
ramp to 830C for 30 mins, dwell 30 minutes then natural cool to room temp.
Not possible for someone without a kiln. The course ends 17 December. Guess what Tracy wants for Christmas!

Regards,

Richard.
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
wendywombat

Re: Precious Metal Clay (PMC)

Post by wendywombat »

Impressive!! You've made something unique and attractive there, Richard....it also has a real use! :applesauce: :applesauce: My hubby would approve of that! As for me I love the beauty of it and I can see a really nice set of 'adornment' made in a feminine style by/for Tracy!!

I think a kiln is an excellent idea...you may pass that message on!!! :wink: :wink:
richardandtracy

PMC can be pricy. The bronze is £0.11p/gram (approx. US$5/oz) while the silver clay is £2.00p/g (approx US$90/oz). I have never looked for the gold stuff!

The kilns themselves are not cheap either. The most sensible and easy to use ones to use seem to be the 'Paragon SC2', made in the US, rough price US$590 in the US or £610 in the UK, despite an exchange rate of roughly £1=US$1.60. Import taxes & postage mean a direct import is no cheaper...

Ho hum. That's going to be one heck of a Christmas present. Imagine the discussion at work, first day after the Christmas break:

'So, Tracy, what Christmas present did your husband give you?'
'A 25kg Kiln'
'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

They already think Tracy is a saint to put up with me, and that'll make it worse.

Regards,

Richard.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

OK!!! but I still think you've made something attractive and functional. :applesauce: :applesauce:

I agree the prices of these kilns is a real luxury and out of the range of mere mortals and often of limited use, too.

I'm sure that whatever you Do buy Tracy will be much appreciated. :D
Ainjel333

Post by Ainjel333 »

You've made some gorgeous little decorations there! Years ago, I used to do a lot of polymer clay and the PMC just came out and I thought 'oooo, I've GOT to have it', but of course, as you have done, I looked into the price of all involved and decided it just wasn't worth it. You really have to ask yourself how much will you really use it and for how long? Will it be a passing hobby? Will it be something you just play with or will you make things that you will sell and make your money back or at least some of it to justify spending that much? Myself, I wanted to play around with it and make myself some silver jewelry and IF I could make something worth looking at, perhaps sell a few pieces, but not likely enough to cover the cost of the equipment or the clay, so I didn't go there.

I'm sure the workshop is very fun, and she is very appreciative of you going with her which makes it all the more fun. :D And whatever you get her for a pressie, she will love! :D
richardandtracy

The useful thing is that the company I work for is giving everyone a bonus this Christmas. If this happens, Tracy & I agree that it's to be used on a luxury we'd never get otherwise. I think a kiln could come into that general description!

Regards,

Richard