Quilting help please

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

19Roland19

Quilting help please

Post by 19Roland19 »

I made a denim rag quilt. I enjoyed making it and like the end result enough that I'm making another one.

My squares are 6.5 x 6.5. But since I'm actually using old clothing, I'm running out, so I decided to make some rows 6.5 x 4 inch blocks instead. My problem is....will sewing an X through them look OK? Is there something else I could do instead? (Keep in mind, my sewing machine and I do not always get along. Sometimes, I think she drinks.)

Here's a picture of my first quilt, where you can see some of the X's.

Fairyflossalot

Re: Quilting help please

Post by Fairyflossalot »

That is such a fun quilt.I think it looks great.
Rose

Post by Rose »

This type of quilt is always so cute!!!!!! Yours looks great!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Thanks. :)

When I decided to make it, I was asking everyone for old jeans...to small, worn out knees, etc. my son dug through his clothes and brought me some. Then gave me big puppy-dog eyes and asked who I was making it for...him maybe?

It was supposed to be for me...but he got it. And he wanted pockets. Lol

The one I'm working on now, is denim, but the back is old pj's and receiving blankets, and lumberjack shirts. Should be interesting. Pj's include spiderman, blue's clues, and scooby doo. Lol. And this one is mine....but I bet my son tries to trade.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

That looks greeat!!I have a huge pile of denim I have been collecting to make a quilt as well and I just can't deide what pattern to use. Part of me things a denim quilt needs to be simple and rustic like yours, but the creative side of me wants to make something more elaborate. But yours looks so effective I'm considering copying it, and mixing in patches of khakis in varying shades from tan to olive. Did you use any batting in yours or is it just denim and a thicker backing layer? And are the seams uncomfortable to sit on? I sit on my bed to watch TV and stitch quite a bit, so I don't want something that's going to feel lumpy to sit on.

As for the extra row.. maybe get one more pair of jeans from a thrift store to stretch it out so you can do full sized squares? I would end up always being a bit twitchy if the last row of my quilt wasn't the same as the rest unless I'd done that on purpose and put a smaller row on all sides as a design feature. But if you had enough fabric to that, you'd have enough fabric to do full size squares. But from a technical standpoint the Xs will work fine on a narrower rectangle, they'll just be at a different angle instead.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I did not put batting in it. Just the denim (and other thick materials) on one side, and flannel on the other.

I've never sat on it. DS put it on his bed as soon as it was washed, but I would think you would feel the lumps sitting on it. I'll try to check and let you know.

As for my current project, if I use some smaller blocks, it will be entire rows, and, let's say I'm short two rows of big blocks, then I would use four rows of the small blocks. So, I might do two rows big, one row small, two rows big, one row small, two rows big, one row small, two rows big, one row small, two rows big. It would have to follow a pattern, or I would go crazy. even in the dark.

Last time, I had all the blocks sewn with the X's, and DS and I laid them out on the floor. We spent about an hour, moving them around until we were happy with it. All the pockets opened on the same side, there weren't all the light colours in one area, etc. then, we pinned a label to each block so I knew where it belonged.

This time will be harder. First I have to put the denim pieces down. Then the flannel. Then label, then sew the X's. That's going to take at least two days. Thank goodness I can leave it on the basement floor that long.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

NeedleAndFork wrote: And are the seams uncomfortable to sit on? I sit on my bed to watch TV and stitch quite a bit, so I don't want something that's going to feel lumpy to sit on.
I told my son about your question. He said he sits on it to read and to watch things on his computer and never found it uncomfortable.

Then we both sat on it in various positions...with his other quilt under, and also with this quilt right on the sheets. He and I both found it comfortable and not lumpy. He also said when he has bare legs it doesn't bother him. The fray is soft,
Tia

Post by Tia »

Definitely looks great! :applesauce:

I didn't notice the Xs until you pointed them out.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I ended up not needing to use the smaller blocks.

Here are all my cut square blocks.

Three piles of denim and three piles of flannel. I took that picture this afternoon. Then I spent the evening...first I laid out the denim, moved a few pieces until. I was reasonably happy. Then out a piece of flannel on top of each. Again, moving some around, so none beside each other were the same. Next, I labeled each block and pinned the two pieces together.

Next up is the X's.
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Alright.. your thread has me motivated to DO something. Even if that something is just tossing all the piles of jeans I've collected into the wash this weekend so they're all clean and ready to start cutting. I managed to cut my indexfinger of my left hand pretty badly 2 days ago (hasn't been a good year so far for me in the knife and blade department) so using a rotary cutter is out, but I can atleast get myself organized and clear off my cutting table!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
richardandtracy

Post by richardandtracy »

:thinks:
All my un-wearable clothes end up next to my lathe as cloths for wiping off oil, cutting fluid or any other noxious fluid. I wonder if I should have a quilt as a stage before that...
I'm not sure if I can cope with a sewing machine that well. Might have to try.

I don't know.
I usually discard clothes when they are more of a collection of holes defined by a few strands of fabric. I have never had a thrift shop accept any of my discards. Wonder if they're too far gone for even quilts.

Must give it a try one day.
When I have time. (never, then!) Or when I make time.

Richard
http://www.chestnutpens.co.uk
Free Charting Program for PC's Info Zip Installation
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

richardandtracy wrote::thinks:
All my un-wearable clothes end up next to my lathe as cloths for wiping off oil, cutting fluid or any other noxious fluid. I wonder if I should have a quilt as a stage before that...
I am making the world a little warmer one quilt at a time...some I make....some I encourage others to make. :tizzy: (A few people from other forums decided to make one when I was posting WIP pictures of my first quilt.)

I'm not sure if I can cope with a sewing machine that well. Might have to try.
I'm self-taught with a sewing machine, which means I'm not very good. But I occasionally challenge myself. I taught myself to follow a patter and a dress. I didn't enjoy it enough to do it again.

This quilt...I enjoy.

Next, I want to incorporate cross stitching into a quilt.
Brekkana

Post by Brekkana »

19Roland19 wrote:Next, I want to incorporate cross stitching into a quilt.
You might be already aware of this, but I would encourage you to check out Love Quilts photos :)

http://public.fotki.com/LOVEQUILTS/

I am working on a couple of squares now (cross stitch wise) but these can give you an idea of maybe how to piece them together? Unless I am way off base lol ...
So many HAEDs I couldn't possibly list them all. Current favorites are Dragon Kin, Sea Unicorns (QS), April Fairy, What's This, Dahlia, and so many starts going on. Love to cross stitch! Find me on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/brekkana.kultiras
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Brekkana wrote:
19Roland19 wrote:Next, I want to incorporate cross stitching into a quilt.
You might be already aware of this, but I would encourage you to check out Love Quilts photos :)

http://public.fotki.com/LOVEQUILTS/

I am working on a couple of squares now (cross stitch wise) but these can give you an idea of maybe how to piece them together? Unless I am way off base lol ...

Those are "real" quilts and therefore quite intimidating,

However...I found a bunch of patterns that would make an awesome quilt.
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

Finally! Finished and washed. Picture is bad....quilt is good,

I've already started my third. it is a rag quilt, but very different. It's church windows. Also, number three is crib size.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:applesauce: :applesauce: Congratulations on finishing your quilt!! Very pretty! Looking forward to seeing the next one.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: How pretty!!! :wub:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

jets

Post by jets »

I love your quilt. Well done. I'm new to patchwork and quilting. Just finished my first which is single bed size. Started another one which I'm hoping to make approx 95 inch square. Hope it looks good as yours. Look forward to seeing your next one.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: WOW that is a real beauty of a quilt. Well Done, it is gorgeous. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
19Roland19

Post by 19Roland19 »

I'm surprised how warm it actually is. And my son is right....soooo soft.