Evenweave

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

jakeybaby0211

Evenweave

Post by jakeybaby0211 »

I would like to try stitching on evenweave, but i'm apprehensive about it, I don't know if it's because it's a 9 holed square rather than 1 square, any tips or feedback about how easy it is to use. Thanx. :?
raelou

Post by raelou »

Only take your time,stitch in good light and not when tired,and stitch only a small design for your first go. :)
jakeybaby0211

Thanx

Post by jakeybaby0211 »

Thanx, I will try that.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

I was quite nervous about it too when I first tried it, but now I prefer it to 14ct aida. Rather than counting over two threads - which you may find mentioned - I find it easier to count a 9 hole square. You'll soon be able to 'see' the squares. I think the effect is lovely, much finer than 14ct. Good luck. :D
jakeybaby0211

evenweave thanx

Post by jakeybaby0211 »

thanx, i will let you know how i get on
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Genevieve wrote:I was quite nervous about it too when I first tried it, but now I prefer it to 14ct aida. Rather than counting over two threads - which you may find mentioned - I find it easier to count a 9 hole square. You'll soon be able to 'see' the squares. I think the effect is lovely, much finer than 14ct. Good luck. :D
I have to total agree with Genevieve. I only stitch on aida now if I really have to.
merrywether

Post by merrywether »

I am the same. I used to stitch only on aida, but a couple of years ago decided to give it a try. The first project was challenging because it took a little while to adjust to thinking 9 holes instead of 4. Now I pretty much only stitch on 28 ct or higher. Evenweave would be a good start before you try linen. I agree with Genevieve, try something small first. I bet you get hooked just like the rest of us! :)
rubyviolet

Post by rubyviolet »

i tried it the first time a couple projects ago. you'll find that once you stitch on it for a bit, it's really easy to pick up. as genevieve said, you'll be able to "see" the squares pretty easily.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'm afraid I count threads. :shock: However, evenweave and linen is really so wonderful and satisfying to work with once you are in the rhythm. You'll enjoy it, you'll see.
rubyviolet

Post by rubyviolet »

heh sorry! for some reason when i saw genevieve's post i read serinde. :oops:
whiskers12

Post by whiskers12 »

Hi there, I've just started stitching on evenweave myself and it's really not that difficult. My advice would have to be count carefully to begin with and don't pull the thread too much as it will warp the fabric. Also ensure you hem the material as evenweave has a higher fraying factor than aida.

Juts think of a 'hash' # symbol when stitching; stitch over 2 horizontal and 2 vertical threads. Also it's probably best to complete your pattern as you go rather than do individual colours in larger sections, as this way you really don't have to worry about miscounting stitches.

Good Luck :lol: