Tread pre-treatment

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

sassylittlewitch

Tread pre-treatment

Post by sassylittlewitch »

Does anyone pretreat their tread before you start a project? My mom tells me I must pretreat all my thread in a solution of white vinegar and water before I begin a project or my colors will run. However, I was under the impression that dyes are very permanent now an do not run if you have to clean a project after its has been completed.

Maybe some of you have a receipe for your treatment of threads or maybe you don't do this step at all.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I've never done this. Most dyes are stable, although there are some hand-dyed threads (Carrie's Threads, eg) that aren't and you are advised to rinse them before you use them. (I don't do that, either... :oops: )
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Nope, me either, I've never pre washed any of my threads and to date never had a leak. To be honest I'd have never even given it a thought before I read your thread!!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I've never pretreated my floss, either, and have never had a problem. I've only used DMC and Anchor floss, plus some domestic brands.
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have never pre-treated any of my thread but I have been told to do it by some die hard stitchers that would never think of starting until every thread was treated. It is the same with cloth and quilting. Some tell you if you don't pre-wash it will ruin yopur work. So far nothing has been destroyed but I only use DMC and Anchor if I am forced to.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

The only thing I treat the threads with is Thread Heaven. I have never had a problem with dyes running. But I only use DMC.
Linda
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

Never done anything to the threads before I stitch with them and touch wood never had any problems. Now that I have said that something will happen :lol:
sassylittlewitch

Post by sassylittlewitch »

So nobody pre-treats their floss but do you all wash your projects after your finished...before they are framed?
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Yep, I do, I'm a dirty mare, and no matter how hard I try end up getting at least a couple of marks on my bigger projects!

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sometimes.
I've been really, really careful with the Ink Circle design, because they suggest you rinse the threads and i, of course, didn't do anything of the sort. :shock:

I always wash my hardanger, though, because it has to be handled more and does get a bit grubby.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yes I wash everything and I just throw it into the wash machine in the gentle cycle with liquid tide and downey softner. I hang it out on the clothesline to dry and if I think it needs it I will iron.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Like Serinde, it depends what it is. I handwash it very carefully in handwash liquid and then let it dry naturally. Then I usually iron it on the wrong side on top of a soft towel, so the stitches aren't flattened.
lindagibb

Post by lindagibb »

I do wash my work once I am finished. Wash it in handwashing liquid, such as stergene or woolite, soaking it first for about 30 minutes then gently rubbing focussing on any heavily soiled areas then rinse in clean water. Then roll it in a towel and gently pressing to get out the excess water. Then iron dry on a towel on the reserve side of the work. Finally leaving it about a day to make sure it is properly dry before thinking about getting it framed.
rubyviolet

Post by rubyviolet »

i've always been scared to wash my own projects, but at the same time i don't want to take them to a dry cleaners. i didn't know it was as simple as woolite...
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

I've stitched a table cloth which I'm putting into my washing machine every time I've used it (ok, it's just once a year). I'm washing it at a low temperature and the wool settings and I'm ironing it on the left side. It has also metallic threads but didn't change anyway.