WIP - Why so many?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Violet

WIP - Why so many?

Post by Violet »

I am new to the forum and I and having a lot of fun going through all the topics etc....

What has really amazed me is how many projects some of you are working on AT THE SAME TIME! What's going on?

In all my years of enjoying this wonderful craft, I have never worked on more than one thing at a time. I start a project (big or small).... finish it, then move on to the next.

Am I missing something? Please explain??? :?
Vi believes... happiness is a finished project!
crazycat

Re: WIP - Why so many?

Post by crazycat »

Violet some people like to work on more than one project at a time to save them from getting bored or frustrated. When i started coming on here i only did one at a time currently i have 3 wip on the go with one more to be added soon.
http://stitchycorner.blogspot.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Wip
Celtic fairy
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

When I came on here I too was only one at a time and I've stuck to that way until recently.
Now, because of this forum, I've branched out into trying different fabrics and threads and it's such temptation to have a few things on the go at once because there's so much to try out and do!
:lol:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

Welcome to the forum, Violet. Hope you're not affected by those dreadful bush fires!

I used to be like you, one project started then worked on until completion. Now I pick up and put down the big stuff and do little bits in between like cards and bookmarks. Like T'bear i love using different fabrics. I keep one piece in the car too for those 'waiting' times!!! :lol: :lol:
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I find it impossible to work on more than one project at a time. Due to doing the celebration sampler I thought that it would encourage me to have something else going at the same time but I cannot.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Violet

Post by Violet »

Thanks Girls,

I may have to get involved with a SAL to increase my WIP's! :D

I am working on a "Family Tree" (of sorts) that's going to take me months to complete, so maybe I will have a list soon!
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Can you put a photo of the family tree on fr us al to see, please.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

i too was a 1 project girl. but the daffodil has lots of blended colours :cry: the card has lots of jumps across the fabric, the cut thru has lots of details, the celebration sampler is a group thing, and im more intrigued with the mystery sal as I dont know what it will look like.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Can you put a photo of the family tree on fr us al to see, please.

Rosemary

Will do Rosemary... as soon as it's something to see! I have nearly completed the first stage, but the rest is in my mind (and on my computer) so I will post photo's when I have done enough for you to see the concept! :thinks:
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Maybe you could make a SAL on it and we can follow along the progress with you?
:dance:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
K1nS

Post by K1nS »

Well I have only been stitching a few months and when I first started I would only take one project on at a time but now I like to have a change, its good when you get bored with one of them :P
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Violet, I'm one of the several-projects-at-the-same-time sort of people -- my record was seven, although in my defence I must say they were all small projects :-). With me it's not so much because I get bored (most of my projects aren't big enough to get bored with) but because there are SO MANY wonderful things to stitch, and having started a collection of silk threads I often want to try them the moment the postman delivers them :-). I'm trying to restrain myself from having too many on the go, but at the moment there's a slightly larger Kingfisher design which I work on when I go to my stitchers' group, some white-on-raw-linen coaster designs which I keep in my handbag for when I'm stuck in a waiting room or suchlike occasions, and several monochrome squares which I'm trying out with various silks. And several projects lined up for the not too distant future, like the afghan I'm hoping to do a SAL on with two other afghanners :-) and the Ink Circles design that Agi, Wendy and Serinde are doing at the moment. Otherwise I haven't got much on at all....
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Violet

Post by Violet »

Woooooh Mabel!
So much to do..... so little time! :D

I think I will stick to one at a time for now, only to keep from getting "Cross-Eyed"!!!
LOL
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

Oh dear Violet. I have to tell you that I too was a 'one-at-a-time' person until I joined this site! I used to start stitching, get bored after a few months and put it away until I happened to come across it again months or sometimes even years later. But since joining here I've discovered so many different fabrics, threads, techniques and charts that I just have to try out and now I stitch at some time every single day. And as for my stash and how much that has increased - well that's probably better left unsaid :oops: :oops:

You have been warned :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
lwelizabeth

Post by lwelizabeth »

This one-at-a-time concept is one I've NEVER been able to master...this forum certainly isn't helping, either, but then again...I'm not complaining about it. :wink: I get rather bored after a while with my stitching, so I'll stitch something else until that bores me or I get frustrated with it.

My friend who actually taught me how to stitch has been trying for about a year and half now to get me to do one at a time... :thinks: I don't think that's ever going to happen so she's got her work cut out for her :lol:
Current Projects:Majestic Eagle
Finished: See Hear Speak Love, Pooh 123
Blog: Speakin Up Now

Wake up every morning with the thought that something wonderful is about to happen.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i also was a one at a time type of gal..
but the more i got into the craft..the more variety of patterns there are..I chose ones, usually only 2 big and a small here and there in between..to work on at once.
keeps me from getting bored w/ the same colors..etc..

like the dragon i'm working on..lots of hard 3/4 stitches and blended colors.
the sampler..full stitches..softer colors..etc

and then I'm doing cutesy easter things in between for cards and stuff..

variety!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

I used to do one at a time, many moons ago and then I stopped stitching for about a year. Then I joined the forum and got back into it and I find that there are just so many great things to stitch (I think Mabel said the same) that I can't just stitck to one any more. I don't really get bored with any of the things I'm working on, I just love the variety. I like working on different fabrics and with different themes so having a few on the go at once means I satisfy all my stitching desires at the same time!

My HAED is humungous and will probably take a year or two to complete, it's on 25 count fabric, has 90 colours and loads of detail, so I love all that about it.

My dolphin project is fun and brightly coloured and intended for a birthday gift.

My Chinese dragon is also bright and colourful and a different style.

I love flitting from one to the other. I'm just trying to restrain myself from starting another new one just yet as I need to get the gift one completed on time first!
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I was always a one project person, too. If an occassion came up that I needed a gift for, I would put away what I was working on to finish the other project (usually wedding gifts). I do have a small trivet project that I have in a travel case that I take when I'm at DD's gymnastics or other times when there's a lot of waiting time because I mainly only do large projects that are too big to travel with. It is pulled out once every couple of weeks to do.

I started doing 2 projects at once when I was doing a secret xmas gift for hubby. I'd work on it during the day and another project at night. As for what I have going on now, the English Garden Sampler is a year-long project--one 20x20 stitch pattern released a week so it only takes an hour or two a week to do. The Celebration Sampler is the group SAL that I wanted to join in on so it's getting all the attention right now. I've been working on the fractal since August or so, so it really only gets attention when I'm not working on another big project or get bored with the colors in a current WIP.

Just like everything with this craft, it's personal preference. I'd really like to finish the celebration sampler & fractal before I start on any other project, but I'm not sure that's going to happen since there's a gift that I want to start on that will be a big project. Plus a mile long list of other things I'd like to finish by the end of this year.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

SusanF wrote:Oh dear Violet. I have to tell you that I too was a 'one-at-a-time' person until I joined this site! I used to start stitching, get bored after a few months and put it away until I happened to come across it again months or sometimes even years later. But since joining here I've discovered so many different fabrics, threads, techniques and charts that I just have to try out and now I stitch at some time every single day. And as for my stash and how much that has increased - well that's probably better left unsaid :oops: :oops:

You have been warned :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Susan could not have said it better. It's all the fault of this forum. I cannot tell you how my stash has grown - no, ballooned! - since I joined. I had no idea there were so many fabulous threads/fabrics/beads/charts out there ... I pray the postman doesn't deliver my orders on a Saturday so I don't have to explain (yet more) purchases to my husband!!

I have three projects on the go. No, 4 now I think about it. Whoops. I would prefer just the one but hey. You only live once!!

You'll be the same soon. Give it time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
SusanF

Post by SusanF »

Slinky wrote: I pray the postman doesn't deliver my orders on a Saturday so I don't have to explain (yet more) purchases to my husband!!
@rotfl: @rotfl: @rotfl:
Me too!!!
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)