Trying a project design of my own

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

fleur

Trying a project design of my own

Post by fleur »

Well I thought I might try and design a project piece of my own

Well have decided to design a cross stitch project on my own.......we have lost of my husbands work collegues over the last 4 months and would love to stitch something to pass on....this is what I was thinking

Will post a pic once I have finished designing it......

It will have the WA police badge at the top in the middle and then a ribbon look around the words....the ribbon will be the blue and white check.....the police check you see on their uniforms and vehicles...then at the bottom I am thinking the ribbon will join under the bottom of the verse and then maybe a police man's hat, maybe his glock and his black shiny shoes (this will all be stitched)......What do you think?

Most cross stitch pieces on the subject of police are all american...which is ok sometimes, but would like to do something more WA....IYKWIM....that can also be adapted for other states in Australia

This is the verse.

The Final Inspection.
The policeman stood and faced his God, which must always come to pass. He hoped his shoes were shining just as brightly as his brass. "Step forward now, policeman. How shall I deal with you? Have you always turned the other cheek? To my church have you been true?" The policeman squared his shoulders and said, "No Lord. I guess I am not, because those who carry badges can't always be a saint. I've had to work most Sundays, and at times my talk was rough...and sometimes I've been violent because the streets are awful tough. But I never took a penny that wasn't mine to keep...though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills got just too steep. And I never passed a cry for help, though at times I shook with fear. And sometimes, God forgive me, I've wept unmanly tears. I know I don't deserve a place among the people here. They never wanted me around except to calm their fear. If you've a place for me here, Lord, it needn't be so grand. I never expected or had too much. But if you don't...I'll understand." There was silence all around the throne where the saints had often trod, as the policeman waited quietly for the judgment of his God. "Step forward now, policeman. You've borne your burdens well. Come walk a beat on heaven's streets. You've done your time in hell. "Author unknown".

'Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful'
RosemaryH

Re: Trying a project design of my own

Post by RosemaryH »

What a lovely thoughtful idea. Have you worked out what size it will be because the verse looks very long.

I am sure that it will be welcomed by them.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
fleur

Post by fleur »

No not yet....designing on photoshop first and then will put it inot the cross stitch program to chart it.

thinking 18ct aida or maybe even on linen....not sure yet.

xx
'Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful'
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

That will be a lovely projec, and I can understand you want to make it appropriate to your police rather than the police of another country!

As for the verse, it is very long and might be difficult to get done legibly without making the whole thing huge -- so I was thinking, what about printing the verse in a decorative typeface (printing can almost always be done smaller than stitchign and still be legible), then making a frame of your stitching? (I mean have a frame or mount the right size and aperture for the verse, then cover that with your stitching)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

That sounds lovely Mabel.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

A picture is supposed to paint a thousand words :-), so here is one showing the sort of thing I mean (no, it's not one of mine, it's one on my some-time-to-do list)

Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Violet

Post by Violet »

Well Fleur... I believe you can do it. However, it IS A HUGE Cross stitch project that will take a lot of planning and designing. But when you look at the "Michelangelo" thread, it seems to be totally do-able!

I design all my own work. I have only really thought about this since I have joined this forum, but I bought a kit in 1988, learnt how to cross stitch, then started designing on graph paper. Since then, I have only stitched 2 pre-prepared kits, the rest of my stitching has been my own designs for family and friends. I get as much of a thrill in the designing as I do in the stitching! Obviously, I have used parts of commercial graphs within my designs, but they always finish up being totally personal projects.

In recent years I have started to design my own graphs, and hope to improve my style enough to share with other stitchers... I just love this craft!

I say, give it a go Fleur :) It may take you a while, but I know how much it means to you to stitch something that touches your heart.
Vi believes... happiness is a finished project!
fleur

Post by fleur »

Thank you Ladies, and violet for sharing your own designing journey.....I must say you have all inspired me so much since I joined this forum....I have expanded my stitching and am excited about my HAED's arrriving (still waiting) and also to design my work and think out side the box....IYKWIM.

Thank you so much...even DH says thank you as I have been alot more relaxed at home and work since stitching more........it is a great stress relief and take every opportunity now to fit a few stitches in :D

So thank you so much

xxx
Violet

Post by Violet »

Fleur, I have been thinking about the verse you want to stitch, and here's what I think...

I presume your husband is a Police Officer? If so, I would stitch the verse for yourself... and your Hubby. It's way too much work to give away (the first time at least)

I think it is a wonderful verse... well worth preserving in Cross Stitch, but you may only ever stitch it once, so why not make it for your Husband?

Just my thought... :oops:

Then, if it's not too much work, you could give it to others?
Vi believes... happiness is a finished project!
fleur

Post by fleur »

Too true, I'll do that actually. Thanks

xx
Rose

Post by Rose »

That is a beautiful verse and so appropriate for a fallen officer. The design you have descibed sounds very personal and lovely. :wub:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror