Framing

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ann_

Framing

Post by Ann_ »

Just a simple question. Do you all do your own framing or send it to a professional? I have been doing my own but want to know what you all do. If you do your own and the frame has a glass do you use it to protect the finished piece or do you just use the frame without the glass?
minij

Re: Framing

Post by minij »

I do my own framing, I know it is nothing like the way the professionals would do it but it is too expensive to get them framed. Yes I do protect it with the glass but I always photograph them without the glass so I don't get a reflection.
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

minij wrote:I do my own framing, I know it is nothing like the way the professionals would do it but it is too expensive to get them framed. Yes I do protect it with the glass but I always photograph them without the glass so I don't get a reflection.
Almost word for word exactly what I was about to type.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have done both there have been some pictures that I have wanted to have a more elaborate frame so I have paid the price to have it framed professionally. There are others that I have found the prefect frame in a shop and I take the time and frame it myself.

Depending on the picture sometimes I use the glass to keep it clean but if there are beads or some other embellishment that I don't want squashed then I will leave the glass out.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
maggs

Post by maggs »

I frame them my self. I have always used the frame with glass in. I suppose if i had got beads I would try and double mat to see if this kept it off the glass.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
crafterglen

Post by crafterglen »

I am like Rose, if it is a really special one I get it done proffesionally, the ones I do myself I feel are fine so have a go at it, I have got one I did about twelve years ago which did not have glass in and still looks in perfect condition, I had thought I would have had to wash it frequently but found this not to be the case.
Happy Stitching
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

RosemaryH wrote:
minij wrote:I do my own framing, I know it is nothing like the way the professionals would do it but it is too expensive to get them framed. Yes I do protect it with the glass but I always photograph them without the glass so I don't get a reflection.
Almost word for word exactly what I was about to type.

Rosemary
me too
Linda
freelady

Post by freelady »

I'm another in the frame it myself gang. I'd have it done if it were really special or I felt I couldn't do it. So far I've left the glass in.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I get mine framed professionally. In fact, one of my pieces -- the blue and yellow hardanger for the baby -- is in the process. I'm not having this one glazed, so hope that keeps down the cost, and it will be only single matted (because it looks better that way).

This is the first time I've used this framer, so I'll report back! I hope he's good and reasonably priced, because I have a whole bunch of things that need framed (Venice... Blackstone Garden... )
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

I do my own framing, too. I can get the different color mats that are scrap from the framing area at the Joanns down the street. If I need a special cut, they cut the mat for another $5 (mat prices vary between $1-3).
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
Pengwenn

Post by Pengwenn »

I get all my stuff professional framed. I just figure the cost into the total cost of the project . . . and I only get things framed during sales so that helps. I think I got 4 items framed one xmas for around $135 total. That's the power of 50% off sales. :D
current project rotation:
Twilight Balloon Flight
The Accolade
Faces of Faery 89
Dad's Flower Pot
mags

Post by mags »

I usually do it myself with inexpensive off the shelf frames, except for special projects which I have done professionally. I have just found a local framer that I am very happy with.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I do my own. I just use second hand frames as it's the cheapest way, but it must be great to get something special professionally framed. It's the prices that put me off.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog