Surface Embroidery?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Genevieve

Surface Embroidery?

Post by Genevieve »

I'm hoping to teach myself surface embroidery in the New Year - that's the plan anyway! I've got some books and material, so I'm all set. However, as I'm very much a newbie, I wondered if anybody else does surface embroidery, e.g. silk shading etc.?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oh wow!! as you know I have only just learnt Hardanger, I haven't done any surface embriodary,but can't wait to see your projects!!!
Good luck G!!
Big Hugs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I keep thinking I'll try crewel work again or, more probably, start working on canvas because I love the textural nature of the stitches and how you sort of build them up.

The problem is, of course, I'm going to need to live healthily until I'm at least 110. At least. :?
mags

Post by mags »

I used to l o v e embroidery but as I have hand troubles I am sticking with Aida for the time being (no force required to shove the needle through :wink: ). I could perhaps try a loose weave fabric but am happy to explore all the stitches that can be done with aida for now.
Rose

Post by Rose »

So I went to and googled and read what they have as an explanation but I am still confused by the term aren't all embroidery surface stitches?

What is the major difference between the two. In the wikipedia description it said that cross stitch is a surface embroidery? So what am I missing? I am so confused. :?
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Rose, I suspect it's rather like bugs and insects. (All bugs are insects, but not all insects are bugs!) It seems to me that hand embroidery is divided into two large groups: counted and uncounted. It's all embroidery, but many types of surface stitching do not depend on having such an open weave to keep the stitches the same size or demand precision counting. So, for instance, silk shading depends on the embroideress being able, first, to stitch an outline and, second, to have the eye to fill it in using a series of long and short stitch to create a realistic, almost 3-dimensional picture. Way, way out of my league!
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Thank you for your explanation, Serinde. You're quite right, Rose, all embroidery is 'surface' embroidery, but some is 'counted'. For the non-counted embroidery, first you have to trace the design onto the fabric and then fill it in, as Serinde described. It's can also be called 'needle painting' or 'thread painting'. More years ago than I care to admit to, when I became engaged to be married, I began to embroider a tablecloth for my bottom drawer. I told you it was a long time ago! :shock: About 20 years later my DH finally finished it for me! The design was printed on the cloth and was mainly satin stitch, lazy daisy stitch and chain stitch. Anyhoo, I thought I might give it another try. I did buy the kit for 'Silken Sweet Peas' from New Stitches 173, but haven't begun it yet. I found a link which shows 'needle painting' - lovely designs aren't they?

http://www.berlinembroidery.com/needlep ... m#wildrose
Rose

Post by Rose »

I guess I didn't explain myself very well in my original post. What I was asking is what is the difference between "Embroidery" and "Surface Embroidery" I thought maybe it had special stitches that differed from the embroidery stitchs ie lazy daisy, satin stitch.......I know that the cross stitch is a hybrid of embroidery. I was more asking if the Surface Embroidery was another such hybrid, like crewel.

Sorry I wasn't more clear, but I knew what I was asking. :D

:shock: I know you believe you understand what you think I said......But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. :shock:
This saying hangs in my house, I think it applys.
Last edited by Rose on Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mags

Post by mags »

:shock:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Rose wrote: I know you believe you understand what you think I said......But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. :shock:
This saying hangs in my house, I think it applys.

That quote is my life, the hearing problem I have is just what the quote says.
What I hear and whay your say is not the same thing. So frustrating for my friends, you wouldnt beleive the answers I have given in my life to questions I thought were asked, too funny. It is a family problem and one day my mom was talking to a friends 10yr old, after the conversation he said to his mom that "that is one strange lady", I can only imagine how the converstion went, cause she had the worst hearing of us all.

Now that I have gone completly off topic I will say "goodbye" :lol: :lol:
Linda
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I didn't realise that anything WAS off topic in this forum... :lol:
Rose

Post by Rose »

Yeah since when have we not hi-jacked an innocent post and ran a round willy-nilly with it. :whistle:
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Big Hugs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Rachael! where do you find all the wonderful thingys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Yes, I'd like to know too please, Rachael. They always make me smile. l :D
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Photobucket~ in the search box I just put say happy emoticons...or sad emoticons and it comes up with a selection and I save to my album on their!!

Big Hugs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Cool 8)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Those are just to funny. I love santa!!!!!!

Is photobucket free?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Rose Yep it's free!!
Big Hugs
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

In words of one syllable, Rachael :doh: how do you then put the images onto the forum, please? I've registered and have downloaded my first pic to my album - now what? :?