Poll Dec 11,2007

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

What do you do on Christmas Eve?

Go to church
No votes
Open packages
40%
Watch Christmas movies
40%
Decorate Tree and wrap presents
20%
Shop til you drop
No votes

Total votes: 10

Rose

Poll Dec 11,2007

Post by Rose »

Sorry girls/boys this should have gone up yesterday.

This is for those that celebrate Christmas. Sorry but the holidays are on my mind.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Rose

Post by Rose »

When I was little we would go to mid-night mass. But now days it isn't at midnight and it just doesn't feel the same.

When the kids were little we would let them open one package on Christmas Eve and so to keep them occupied until it was late enough to open them we would stick in a Christmas movie. Then around 7 open the package and get that out of the way. If they picked a good one they would have some thing to play with but if they picked clothes or something less interesting, it would be time for another movie. When they got older the opening was an after thought, the movies were the main thing and so we watch Christmas movies all night. The last one always George C Scott in A Christmas Carole.

I have never shopped or decorated a tree Christmas Eve but I have heard of others doing it that night.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

What happened to the go to work option :lol: :lol:
After a day of card and last min Tatty Teddy selling, I will be watching Raymond Briggs-The Snowman, possibly The Muppets Christmas Carol,and I hope The service from Kings College Chapel Cambridge. Listening to the service on the telly was the last thing I was able to do for my Dad,I phoned the home he was in and asked them to put him near the telly so he could hear it, he sat totally still until the very end, then tried to get up. they were convinced that he listened to it, and so was I.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

Normally, we would have our Christmas Eve dinner at around 10PM; no shopping or anything else. Just cooking and setting the table, etc.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

We don't do the church thing here,we have already done all the shopping,and we don't open any presents until christmas day,I used to work christmas eve,so the last year was wonderful not working.We just watch movies or go visiting relatives dropping off pressies!!
Big Hugs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Hmmm, none of the above. We have a family meal on Christmas Eve, and listen to music and probably have the box on. Fill the boys' stockings. Not to mention a bit of stitching. We are also planning the logistics for the big meal we share with our neighbours on Christmas Day.
Last edited by Serinde on Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I'm usually found trying to do all the last minute wrapping of presents till some silly hour of Christmas morning, putting together toys with anoying parts, getting food stuff ready to take to MILs for Christmas day, etc.

I can't remember the last time I had a relaxing Christmas Eve! :lol: :lol: :lol:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Christmas Eve I always go to my late brother's wife's for a gathering she and her partner have every year. It is also her birthday so she says its for Christmas eve but we all doubt that story :lol: :lol: They alwys have Christmas movies on the TV in the background, keeps the kids from bouncing off the walls. :o
Linda
Stitchindude

Post by Stitchindude »

On Christmas Eve, I dress Miss Daisy in a red nose and antlers, and I put on my Santa suit as so I can deliver presents to all the little children, Nah just kidding!! I hang around the house, and wait for my kids to come a calling, with all kinds of goodies! We have a nice visit and enjoy each others company, good food, good conversation, we sing Christmas carols, and exchange presents! That is what we do at our house!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

It's so interesting to read how people spend Christmas Eve. We do any last-minute shopping and collect the turkey from the butcher. Then I often make some mince-pies and try not to eat them all as they come out of the oven. We have a nice meal, watch a film - maybe 'It's a Wonderful Life', which is one of my all-time favourites - wrap last-minute presents and put them under the tree, then go to bed early so that Santa will come sooner!

This year our eldest will be arriving on Christmas Eve, hot-foot (or hot-board) from his snow-boarding holiday in Whistler, Canada - complete with dirty washing, which he won't have had time to wash! Our youngest is coming home next week to have an early Christmas with us. It's lovely to see them whenever they arrive! We will also be celebrating my DH's birthday on 23 December.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

You really needed a "Spend Time with Family" option... :wink:

Normally I'd do my rounds celebrating with family at their places for a few hours each, but this year I'll be spending it with my fiances Dad & SO, since our plane leaves Calgary at 8 am.
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

Here in Austria, you're opening your gifts at Christmas eve.

My sister is going to church with my nieces in the afternoon while my brother-in-law and I, we are putting everything in the right place. Usually we are decorating the tree and putting the parcels under it. When they are coming home, my nieces are not allowed to go into the living room until they hear a tin bell. This means that the "Christkind", something between an angel and the baby Jesus, has been in and brought the parcels.

Then we'll sing a few songs and have dinner. Afterwards we are opening the gifts. Well, my nieces are opening a few before dinner :-)

At 10 pm or later there is a service at church but I usually don't attend because I'm to tired.