Something Strange

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mauveme

Something Strange

Post by mauveme »

Yesterday at work I was finishing up the last dog of the day and my boss (who is my BF) was cleaning up. She ate some of her HoneyCrisp apple and not two min later she was throwing up. I thought she would never stop!! When she came out of the bathroom her face and her hands were so swollen she could hardly see, her eyes were just slits, and her throat was so constricted all she could manage was a squeek, it took about 15 min for her to speak a little. I checked on her later at home and it was gradually going away. The only thing we can figure is that it was an alergic reaction. All she ate was the apple, she had one the nite before with no problems. I think it must have been a reactiion to something on the apple. Really strange and scarry when she had a hard time breathing. Have you seen the carvings on Easter Island? Well that is what her face looked like. Just wierd!!!
Linda
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Goodness, Mauverne, that sounds really scary. Yes, it does sound like an allergic reaction. Is she going to go to the doc? I think she should, as I believe an allergic reaction like this could herald anaphylactic shock if she has another bad reaction. I wonder if she had come into contact with anything else other than the apple? When I was in hospital I was asked if I was allergic to latex, as this can cause problems - so a bad reaction like this could come from something she had touched or inhaled, not necessarily something she had eaten. Did she wash her apple before eating it? You never know what pesticides are on things these days. Hope she sees the doc as this reaction sounds pretty serious and, hopefully, he/she should be able to do tests to determine exactly what has caused it. Let us know.
Last edited by Genevieve on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Is it possible that the apple came into contact with something in the shop?

I agree she should go get it checked out by the doctor. :shock: :shock: :shock:
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

That certainly sounds like an anaphylactic reaction. It is unlikely to have been the apple (but not impossible), but as Genevieve says, there are a host of chemicals and materials in your workplace that are capable of making your body go into protective overdrive. She should definitely go and see a doctor about it. In the meantime, try to go over in your minds and write down everything she came into contact with (and I mean everything, down to the last glove and dog). This may give you a clue, and will certainly help a medical practitioner.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Absolutely go to a doctor, this type of reaction is serious and possibly dangerous. To ignore it and hope it does not happen again is asking for trouble. All of the previous suggestions will help the doctor figure out what could have possibly caused such distress.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

My friend is terrible for going to the doctor but she just happens to have an apt on Thurs. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for her to get in to him.

We have gone over everything, all the dogs were regular, nothing was used in the shop that hasn't been used before for the past 35 years, She wasn't even wroking on anything for at least 15 min before she ate the apple. And it was within two min of eating it that it all started. I think it was something on the apple.

It certainly was scary for her.
Linda
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Yes, it was definitely something she ingested. Tell her to ask her doctor about the epipen. There are too many times when people do not take action appropriately and the results are sometimes fatal. I have to be very careful with my son. He is severly allergic to milk, so just like you said...after a minute or so, he starts throwing up and breaking out in hives. After an episode, I give him some Benadryl. If I know that he is breathing okay then I don't have to take him to the hospital.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Oh :shock: how scary for both of you!!!
Big Hugs
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

That sounds so scary, i really hope u get to the bottom of it.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Everything is back to normal, she went to her doctor and he said it was an allergic reaction to something on the apple.
I have a message from her to you all

"make sure you wash your fruit and veggies" :lol: :lol:

At least we were able to laugh about it today.......
Linda
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Glad she's ok Mauvme! :D :D :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
Ekidna

Post by Ekidna »

Goodness mauveme!! That was awful for her, and you witnessing it. The worst part is not knowing what it was on the apple that gave her such a reaction. I am plaesed she is feeling better now.

Facebook: Sarah-Kay Scholefield
Twitter: purplechidna

My WIP's
Home Sweet Home Cushion Sets
Flower Set - 2 to go
Olga Gostin Australian Houses Set - 4 to go
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Im so glad shes ok now and she went to the docs to make sure.