Number of threads

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

ivanputz

Number of threads

Post by ivanputz »

I am new to the forum but not to cross stitching. I have stitched a number of pieces on 14 count aida (or 28 count evenweave) using 2 threads for crosses and 1 thread for backstitching. On other pieces, I have used 3 threads for crosses and 2 for backstitching. The pieces with 3 threads always turn out more vibrant looking than the 2 thread pieces. Just curious why so many only use 2 threads for crosses on 14 count fabric?
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

I don't know, but I wholeheartedly agree that with three threads it looks better!

Pretty much, I take a look at the design, and decide if I want to use up that much thread... Unless it's a kit, I tend to do three.

But maybe there's a reason I shouldn't be... Any other advice on this perplexing question... :wink:
Ernie2jess

Post by Ernie2jess »

Of course if it is a kit...I'll do what it says, but I've always wanted to try more thread. Yet, they don't give you enough to do extra so I don't. I have done it once,...and it does turn out much fuller and vibrant. I'll probably start doing some with more thread though.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I have also noticed that free kits often say to use single thread for the cross stitches, I have never tried that as I tend to give any freebies to the local charity shops.
Single thread does look right as shading and contrast though, Dimensions kits in particular use that technique, it works well.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

There's no reason why you shouldn't use three strands instead of two when stitching on 14/28 ct. It's especially useful if you are stitching on dark fabric because it covers more fully. It does give a chunkier, more tapestry feel to the piece.

I note here that HAED suggest the stitcher use two threads over 1 on 25ct, which is VERY chunky! And it works.
ivanputz

Post by ivanputz »

I agree about the finished product looking sort of chunky. For me the thickness is far outweighed by the color brightness. Also I meant that backstitches are either in 1 or 2 threads. I personally like 2 threads because stuff pops more. Also I took a look at some of the pics on the web site. Very nice pieces.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Most designers tend to suggest that you use just 2 threads this is do to the fact that kits only send enough thread for this type of stitching. It all has to do with marketing. If they want their kits and their individual pattern to be competitive they make all of the suggests for stitching to be the same. They want to get the biggest profit they can from kits so they tend to use 14 count aida and 2 strands to cross and 1 to backstitch. Also remember the marketers are in it for a profit.

Since this is an individual choice we use what we think is the best look for our personal preferance. I tend to back stitch with 2 threads for the same reason, it tends to give a better outline.

Welcome to the looney bin ivan, it is great to have a new memeber. I hope you will join us often.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

Mmmm, note to self, must try 3 strands instead of 2. Had not thought of doing so :?
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Choosing between one or two strands for backstitch also give you the chance to change the perception of depth and definition in the object outlined. You can get some interesting results this way.
crossstitchpro

Post by crossstitchpro »

It all depends on the look I want....if I want the design to be light and airy, then I use 2 strands for stitches and 1 strand for backstiching. (14 count)
If I want it to be chunky, bold, and bright, then I use 3 strands and 2 for backstitching.
Several years ago I tried using all 6 strand on 11 count. It looked quite rustic. (that was the look I was trying to get...)

Also, if I'm making a bookmark, or something where thickness really matters, then I use 2 strands on 14 ct and only 1 strand on 18 ct.

Lori
www.crossstitchpro.com
Hundreds of Patterns to Download.
jc

Post by jc »

What about some patterns where they use 2 different color strands for the crosses ? Do we use 4 strands then, so as to even out the colors ? Would it be too bulky on 14ct ? Just curious. :roll:

Thanks ! :)
just me :)
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Where two different colours are required in the needle, use one strand of each colour. I have an example of this sort of cross-stitch in my gallery (the blue boat).
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I agree with crossstitchpro. I, personally, don't care for the "bulky" look, but rather the lighter, more airy, feel, although then it does depend on the design. I once did a small sachet, using the 3 strands as stated in the instruction, and it looked awful! I really didn't like the way it looked, but then I guess it's the way I stitch.
In the end, it all depends on one's personal tastes.
Alexanie

Post by Alexanie »

I usually use just 2 strands only 3 on dark coloured fabrics. I've got a kit for a talbe cloth that told to use 4 strands becauase it was stitched over 4 linen threads but I've used only 3 strands beacause I didn't want it bulky. It's just how you prefer your work.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I'm still new to stitching, I tend to use what the pattern tells me to. My current pattern is saying 1 thread but it looks so... >_< I can see the aida through it. It looks pretty bad. I recomend never crossing in 1 unless there's no other choice. But I've not done a 2 or 3 one yet...
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I agree Angel, follow the kit but I've never liked the look of one thread. I'm not partial to "seeing" the x's either and the one thread lends itself more to that. I haven't done a three over either but would think it could get bulky if the fabric size isn't big enough.
Angel

Post by Angel »

I have some Aida from my gramma and it has three lines in it, so out of curiosity I went to see how many strands she used... six! it looked great though, really thick.