New to the forum, new to cross stitching

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

New to the forum, new to cross stitching

Post by Angel »

Hey there, I'm Angel, 20 years old and from England.

I recently moved out of my parents house and you know whenever you go through stuff you find the most unusual things? Well amongst my stuff I found a cross stitching magazine from 2001. There was some huge canvas poked inside it and instantly I remembered my gramma had given it to me. Why? It was on the page "stitch a star" And had David Boreanez. Of course my gramma had given it to me, but I'd never had the cotton to stitch it.

So Then I found some gorgeous bunny designs in it and got the stitching bug. I had no cotton so I went out and bought a random cross stitch magazine with a free gift of cross stitching a Christmas card, canvas, card, envelope, design and thread included. I'm thoroughly enjoying myself BUT I have a pressing question I'm dying to have answered. So I've found a forum to answer my questions, and hopefully meet some young and older stitchers too. For me cross stitching has always been my grandparents hobby so now I feel old :P

Angels question:
You know how you use this special canvas thing to stitch on so your stitches are all the same size? Well I want to put the bunny designs I've found on my pillow case and that canvas is scratchy. How can I do this? I'm still new so I still need the canvas spacing help.
:oops:
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

Hi Angel, Welcome to the forum.
I'm Jilly, good at stitching, hopeless at explaining things.
As it is Christmas most of the clever folk are not around today, but if you have a good poke around the forum posts you may find some answers.
I have never stitched anything onto an item of clothing, but I know waste canvas is used, it can be removed after the stitching is done.
Stick around and join in the fun :D
Jilly
Angel

Post by Angel »

I was thinking maybe what you do is put the canvas behind the fabric and sew as normal, then simply pull the canvas to pieces, but I'd hate to ruin something trying that :P Ah well, I'm not even finished my first pattern yet. It's only a 6.5 x 6.5 cm piece.

Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be many people online today, but as I can only get online during work hours and I'm doing a 12 hour shift today, I figured I'd post now, someone may answer during my shift and then I won't forget to do it :P

Thanks for the welcome. I plan to stick around. I hope to get to know some of you.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

A 12 hour shift sucks!
I would not risk trying to stitch the way you described as unless it is waste canvas it would never come out.
I know a lot of forum members sew onto items,they will help you.
I am off to baste a duck.
Chat to you soon.
Jilly
Angel

Post by Angel »

I do 3 12 hour shifts a week and 1 8 hour shift. It's ok, because I do the time so I get a coulple extra days off... sorta.

Waste canvas is another type of canvas?
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Angel,
Here's a good description of waste canvas and how it works. Sounds easy enough but I've never done it before so can't really say.
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/m ... gory_Code=

Stick around, it's a really good group of people. Also check out the galleries to see what you're in store for. It's not an old persons hobby. I've been doing embroidery and needlepoint since I was about 10 but took up counted cross stitch when I was about 25.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Excellent. Thank you! I'll get some and give it a test on something before trying to embroider my pillowcases :P Maybe try a hankercheif...

Nice to meet you and thank you for all your help so far ^_^ I will most deffinately stick around. This place looks good and you have both been so friendly.
mags

Post by mags »

Hi Angel and welcome

Saw your message earlier but sorry didn't have time to answer as I was in the middle of cooking christmas dinner but I see you have had some excellent advice.

Look forward to seeing you again around here

mags :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

hehe it's ok. I hope you enjoy it. I'm doing some noodles *is at work*
Thanks for the welcome ^_^
Rose

Post by Rose »

Hello Angel and welcome to the forum you have come to a wonderful and informative place. In the Glossary thread you can find a brief description of the waste canvas. I have used it many times and I really enjoy stitching with it.

Some tips for you is you MUST use a hoop or frame to hold the canvas and the material together.

Find the middle of the fabric and the waste canvas and mark both of them. Starting in the middle and working to the edges pull the fabric and the canvas taut in the hoop/frame. Make sure that the fabric has NO creases or folds behind the canvas.

Then just stitch as you would normally do.

If you would like to see some examples of this type of stitching then you can go to my webshot gallery and look at the Angels they are all done on cotton fabric and using different sizes of waste canvas.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you very much for that, it was most informative. When I've finished my current project I will certainly try this...on hankerchiefs before my pillowcase though. Thank you very much.
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Welcome to the forum, Angel. We're a friendly bunch, so look forward to seeing you post often and I hope you enjoy your time here. :D
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thank you ^_^ From the few people I've spoken to so far it certainly does seem like a really friendly place. I'm looking forewards to getting involved here.
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Hi Angel and welcome from Norfolk!

I've used waste canvas, it's pretty easy once you get started with it. You just have to be patient when you start pulling the canvas threads out when you are finished stitching the piece. Good luck with it! :D
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)