Clubs

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Philbertsmum

Clubs

Post by Philbertsmum »

Just wondered what clubs there were for cross stitchers, both internet and postal and if anyone had any reviews and ideally a website

thanks
freelady

Re: Clubs

Post by freelady »

Sorry but I have no idea. There are local clubs in some areas, but I'm not sure how you'd find them.

This forum is my stitchy club. I get help and support here. Still, it isn't the same as meeting people for coffee, a chat and stitching.

Hope you find what you are looking for soon.
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

I'm the same - this is where I come for stitchy chat etc. Actually not sure I'd want to go to a club for cross stitching... surely wouldn't be able to concentrate properly?! :thinks:

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I heard of one stitching circle in my area from the newspaper last week! It was an article about how these ladies have been togethr for 45 years! :shock: I would love to start my own circle but there's only friend of mine who stitches quilts..hardly a circle with two people lol
This is the closest thing I have to a stitcing club as well
Faith
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I often think it would be nice to have a stitching circle locally. I'm not sure how much would get done, but it would be nice to meet people locally who share the same hobby. I love coming on here and chatting and seeing the projects but when we're all so scattered, except for stitching shows, it's only virtual meeting that we can do. I've heard of various knitting circles but there doesn't seem to be much out there for stitchers.
Nachstenliebe wrote:I heard of one stitching circle in my area from the newspaper last week! It was an article about how these ladies have been togethr for 45 years! :shock: I would love to start my own circle but there's only friend of mine who stitches quilts..hardly a circle with two people lol
This is the closest thing I have to a stitcing club as well
Faith
Faith - I know how you feel. The only other friend I know who stitches regularly also quilts!
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I found groups near me at our State Fair this year. They had a booth in the crafts building. I also asked one of the stitching shops I get supplies from- but they did not have a "club" as much as they have classes they offer on various techniques. I am looking more for a social stitching group to chat around a circle, ask for help, marvel at various projects and patterns... basically the same stuff that happens on this site, but in person.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I found one at the adult education centre in our nearest town (Rugby) -- it's a very informal group who meet for two hours on Monday afternoons during term time, there's usually somewhere between 7 and 12 of us. At 39 I'm definitely the youth element :-), but it's a lovely and supportive group of stitchers. We mostly do cross stitch, but several of us have also tried beading, hardanger, canvas work, ribbon embroidery, blackwork and all sorts of other things. It's my "me-outing" every week and I love it :-)! Next Tuesday we've got the annual Christmas lunch -- my first so I'm looking forward to it.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kell

Post by kell »

I don't have a local club either, but would love one as I don't really know any local stitchers (I know a couple of people who occaosinally get out a nedle and floss, but nothing regular). It would also be nice if a group did "show and tell" type stuff, like if someone did hardanger they could teach the rest of the group, or if someone was into quilting they could show everyone how to do that, that way everyone tries something new occasoinally and perhaps finds they love other kinds of needlework. That would make my day if I found a group like that locally! :)
Granny

Post by Granny »

The physical hands on show and tell is the element that is missing in virtual groups. Also the sounds of voices and laughters. Maybe you don't get much done in group but the motivation carries me a long way.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
frankattleborough

Post by frankattleborough »

If there is a local forum in your town/city you could put a message on that. Where I live there are two forums, one is attached to the local council which nobody seems to use (there is a reason for that which I will not go into), and another one which is extensively used. :D
Smile and the world smiles with you

Work in progress

Family Coat of Arms - Finished
Spike in Charge (Kit) Restarted
Water Garden - Tapestry - will take about another year!!
Norwich Cathedral
Philbertsmum

Post by Philbertsmum »

Thanks All

I don't think I have explained myself as I meant to! I'm not looking for local cross stitch clubs, more postal or web based, I used to be a member of a postal one some years ago but can't remember what it was called :(
jphill11

Post by jphill11 »

I just joined a couple of cross stitch Yahoogroups, but they're extremely chatty and go off topic a lot. It's overwhelming to have all that in your email. I like this group a lot better.

- Judy
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

jphill11 wrote:they're extremely chatty and go off topic a lot.
Whereas we only ever say what is absolutely necessary and NEVER stray from discussing cross stitch :-) -- but you're right this is the best ever forum!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Sarah Gixxer

Post by Sarah Gixxer »

I agree, Mabel, there's none better than this one. I've been members of a few forums in the past, one other stitchy one and a couple nothing to do with stitching and not liked the others half as much so I stopped visiting them.

I was pointed in this direction by Stephany in summer 2008 and I was addicted right away! I don't think a day has gone by since when I haven't been on here, except for when I was camping or during one particularly insane week where I couldn't find time to log onto anything at all.
CURRENT WIPs
HAEDs - Bubble Telescope, Floatilla, Rainbow Embrace, Ray of Light, Iron Dragon, Newport Lighthouse
Fractal 239 Aero Chocolate
agi

Post by agi »

May I ask what a postal stitching club is? I can't really imagine it.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog