Heart Attacks

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

lacemaker2004

Heart Attacks

Post by lacemaker2004 »

My Stitching Friends,
I wanted to tell you about my mother-in-law who had a heart attack last night. She's in good health and eats fairly well but this was one she didn't see coming. One of her arteries was completely blocked. She went upstairs to hem a pair of pants last night and started having intense pressure (like an elephant sitting on her chest were her words). She came back downstairs and tried to relax thinking it would pass. When she because sick after dinner (nausea an vomiting is a sign they don't necessarily talk about much), she decided to go to the hospital. They thought it through enough to luckily call 911 because the parametics started her on meds.

As of this time she's in good shape, they put a stint in and is off all the iv's. She'll most likely be moved from ICU this afternoon. She sounds good but still it was close.

My desire for you is to know the signs. Remember the signs are different for women versus men. The best thing you can do is prevent it by exercising, watching your weight and diet but if you have any of the signs, get medical attention. Don't just put it off, thinking it will pass. The longer you wait the more damage that is caused.
Alyson
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

So sorry to hear of your mom-in-law. Glad she got help quickly. A lot of women don't know the signs. My BF's mom had one and the symptoms were strange. Ache in her jaw and backache were the two she had. We must educate ourselves. Even bypass surgery is harder for women cause our arteries are smaller than men.
All the best to your MIL and I hope she gets out of hospital soon. Linda
Linda
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I am so glad she is making good progress. You never know what is round the corner.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Linda,
You're right. The following is taken from Mayo Clinics webpage:

Common heart attack symptoms in women
Women may have all, none, many or a few of the typical heart attack symptoms. For women, as for men, the most common symptom of a heart attack is some type of pain, pressure or discomfort in the chest. But women are more likely than are men to also have symptoms unrelated to chest pain, such as:

Neck, jaw, shoulder, upper back or abdominal discomfort
Shortness of breath
Nausea or vomiting
Abdominal pain or "heartburn"
Sweating
Lightheadedness or dizziness
Unusual or unexplained fatigue

The sad thing is women are more likely to die from heart attacks because the symptoms are so vague and unusual.
Alyson
mags

Post by mags »

Hi Alyson

Thanks for posting the symptons - you never know do you ?

Glad your MIL got treated quickly and is on the mend.

Mags :)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Wow such a close call and we are never sure of when or who it might happen to. So glad that it all worked out for your MIL. Since I have a family history of Heart Attacks and High Blood Pressure I have to be extra careful. Already have to take a pill a day for the blood pressure. Thanks for the heads up and the extra information to help us all be more aware.

Good wishes for a fast recovery.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Glad to hear your MIL is ok Alyson. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks for the list of symptoms, I didn't know that.
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i had often heard that women differe greatly from men...and that women tend to die from heart problems more then men..makes you really pay attention..hope for a speedy recovery for her!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Thanks for the list of symptoms, Alyson - very useful - and I'm so pleased that your MIL is progressing well.
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I hope that your MIL continues to recover well.

I used to work in CCU and know only too well how different symptoms can be experienced. Thanks for the reminder.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Best wishes to your MIL, and thanks for that heads up.