Wanted - Some advice

Post your wanted list here

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

laird-jim

Wanted - Some advice

Post by laird-jim »

Hi Guys,
I hope you and your families have had a really good Christmas and are set to have (or had if reading this after the 1st of January) a great new years day.

My question isn't about a specific cross stitching project, but about an idea I am playing with for a website. Before I go further, if this is the wrong place for this post, then I totally apologise and ask that somone direct me to the best category for it - I'm new to using these forum thingy's so again, sorry.

What I am trying to determine is, would people (ie you guys that are reading this post) be intersted in a membership website that allowed for unlimited downloads of custom designed cross stitch charts.

Further to the above question, if you said yes - how much would you say is a fair price to pay?

I don't have a site up and running as yet that offers this, but am asking aournd to get an idea of the general response from people before locking myself away in a room for a month to design and create it.

Let me know what you think.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Hi Jim,
do you mean charts from photos or original art type of thing? I know there a couple out that do the conversion from a photo for you that you could check out. As for original art....wow, not sure. I know that I've paid about $30 for one I commissioned from a lady on eBay that took a piece of art and converted it for me to a needlepoint canvas. Not sure how she does it though and that wasn't her original art either.
Alyson
Rose

Post by Rose »

Alyson is right I would need to have a bit more information about what you mean by custom designs. Are you talking about your own designs or what? If you are thinking about using designs that have a copyright to them then you would have to get permission to make patterns of the designs.

Are you talking computer generated or are you going to make these pattern indivdually the difference being the price I would pay for the patterns. If it is computer generated that means I would payless for the product as it does not have the detail I would expect from a designer.

What would I pay for a membership site again it would depend on the quality and quantity of the patterns and how many new ones would be available each month. And since there are already so many good quality sites out there I'm not sure I would want to be required to pay a monthly fee for unknown work.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I don't think I would ever pay a membership fee for something that is available with a search on the net. Your ebay shop offers individual works from artists, these artists have given permission for their work to be used by anyone, so I would assume that anyone with a cross stitch program would be able to get the chart without being tied to any monthly fees.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I probably won't pay for membership either as I already have more than enough patterns and stash to last me my lifetime but then I also have a tendancy to just see patterns that grab my interest and I buy them.
hada56

Post by hada56 »

there are other sites with this same idea: artecy is one that comes to mind.
perhaps you could give the option of a year-long membership and buying just one or two. I've never stitched up one thos computer-generated charts, so I can't help you there, but I do know that there is a lot of people who like those kind of designs. If you could manage to "hire" an artist just for your cross stitch designs, that would help you out inmensely. (this is just my point of view, which sadly is very limited! :wink: )
good luck on your site!
henrietta

Post by henrietta »

I would not pay to join a site either. I prefer to know where my money is going & select patterns that I want to buy on a pattern by pattern basis not on a membership fee. If you are going to set up a site, you can start by using Freewebs or Zoomshare. Both are free services & help you learn about creating a site. Then you can move on with your plans once you gain some experience. If you are making patterns already, there are various established sites you can contact about marketing your products but remember they will all take their cut.
I use software to plot out my charts but don't like "digitalised" paintings or drawings. That is just personal preferences. There are designers that offer customised chart services already & they set their own prices so you will need to do some market research to come up with your pricing based on what you want to offer.
Tam.