Removing creases?

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Wot No Stitch

Removing creases?

Post by Wot No Stitch »

OK I've got a brand new blackwork kit and the aida fabric is folded in four and quite creased. Would you wash or iron it at this stage or see what it looks like when it is finished?
SusanF

Re: Removing creases?

Post by SusanF »

It'll probably loosen up a bit as you work the project. I'd probably iron it with a damp cloth for now (but that's because I wouldn't have the patience to wait until it was washed and dried :D ).
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)
Granny

Post by Granny »

I haven't done it with Aida yet but it will happen. I use the following all the time on quilting fabric with fabulous results. I keep a squirt bottle with half vinegar/half water by my iron. As I'm pressing and come across a fold/crease that doesn't want to budge with steam I give it a generous squirt, press and it's gone. I have even taken out creases in fabric that I have pressed in with steam for bindings and then want to use the leftover bits in my piecing. My mom used full strength vinegar but then it really smelt like a pickle factory for a bit. I find the dilution works just as well.
Agnes (Granny Agnes)
Wot No Stitch

Post by Wot No Stitch »

Oh gosh, not sure I dare try vinegar simply because the smell of it makes me heave. I can also tell if someone has put it in something I'm eating - makes me really quite ill. So thanks for the idea but I think I'm going to have to pass on that one.
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

I can never seem to get the creases out of the aida that comes in kits. I've tried wetting it and pressing it, but the lines are very noticeable. For the last several years I buy the aida cloth in a tube to avoid having creases. I am using the aida that came in the kit I am doing now because all of the crease will be covered by stitches.
Pam
kathryn

Post by kathryn »

I usually wait until I'm finished stitching and then wash and iron it, that works pretty good
ImageImageImageImage
Angel

Post by Angel »

Chalk up another victory to vinegar!

I love vinegar. I can't eat it because it makes me ill, but it's just got so many uses. I keep it alongside all my cleaning products. I'm sure one day someone's going to ask me why I have vinegar in with the detol and mr muscle :P
chicksmama

Post by chicksmama »

I totally agree about vinegar. My daughter wanted me to make her some sheers to cover her skylights, I put it off as long as possible because I was afraid of the slippery fabric and not making nice even seams but I was told to use the vinegar/water mixture and soak a cotton towel in it and iron in the creases. It worked like a charm, she also told me the same trick will work to iron out the creases. I love it.