A "small" suggestion from DH for a new project....

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Lessa54

A "small" suggestion from DH for a new project....

Post by Lessa54 »

Hubby and I were watching a history programme the other night and the programme started talking about William the Conqueror and the battle of Hastings in 1066. The presenter was then shown in Normandy with the Bayeux Tapestry. Hubby then came out with the suggestion that as a future project maybe I should cross stitch the Bayeux Tapestry :shock: According to him it wouldn't take that long :thinks: :doh: :lol:
nikecam

Re: A "small" suggestion from DH for a new project....

Post by nikecam »

it's 1.6 by 230 ft long! what does he consider a long term project???
April

Nora Corbett Winter Fairy, started Jan 2013
Family Reunion, Rosewood Manor, waiting on fabric
topbiddy

Post by topbiddy »

A few years ago we visited Normandy and went to see the real thing. It is an outstanding piece of work. We were there for two hours as I couldn't stop looking at all the stitching. There is a gift shop outside ( which was also featured on the programme you mention) and hub bought me a kit. It is done with very fine wool on tent or half cross stitch. Alas, mine is only 18x10 I think and shows the arrow in the eye scene, poor old Harold! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: The shop does have a website I think, I can dig it out for you :dance: :dance: :dance:
burgundyice

Post by burgundyice »

Do we know what count fabric it was stitched on? :thinks: so how many stitches??!! :lol:

Louise
HAED WIPS: Too many to list!
megandmog

Post by megandmog »

Well someone has done the Sistine Chapel ...
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

burgundyice wrote:Do we know what count fabric it was stitched on? :thinks: so how many stitches??!! :lol:

Louise
According to wiki it's stitched on linen with wool yarns. So that must be at least 28ct then. Hmmm, a forum project? If we each stitched 1 ft..... :D
nikecam wrote:it's 1.6 by 230 ft long! what does he consider a long term project???
He's very supportive and likes all my projects, I just don't think he's quite realised the work that's involved. Education still progressing :D
topbiddy

Post by topbiddy »

I know that it was stitched on linen. It was done in eight different sections and sewed together by nuns. There are only eight colours in the whole tapestry - Dark blue, blue green, grey blue,light green,dark green, tan, buff and yellow. It was done in dyed strands of wool and essentially embroidered in just two stitches - stem stitch and Laid/Couch stitch. I don't know how many stitches!! When you look at it you would swear that there are loads and loads of different stitches and colours, it is so well done.
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I'd take it as a compliment. He obviously thinks very highly of your skills ;)
Faith
maggs

Post by maggs »

You should ask him when you are moveing to your new house, so you know what sort of deadline your working to. You will need a wall to put it on when finished.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I've seen the tapestry too, many years back and I remember it being awesome! I didn't stitch back then so as we now live in France we shall have to go back and look again!