Signing your project

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Ann_

Signing your project

Post by Ann_ »

Do you sign your work? How do you think - whether the signature should be same everywhere or it should match each specific project?
JennyB

Re: Signing your project

Post by JennyB »

I usually forget! Sometimes, if I remember, I stamp something on the board at the back of the frame or put a note inside the frame for future generations to find :) When I first started I stitched my initials and the date but dont bother now.
Jenny
kell

Post by kell »

I'veonly recently begun to initial my pieces, but only if there's room to do so unobtrusively (e.g. I didn't initialthe keyring I just stitched for a fried asit's so tiny).
Rose

Post by Rose »

I don't stitch anything on the piece as i don't ever remember to do it until it is to late. But if the piece is frames I put a sticher on the back with a few details about the project.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Dazbo666

Post by Dazbo666 »

I've stitched my initials (and a date/year) on to a couple of projects, usually only on the rare occasions that I remember to do it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

See my Stitching Projects - LOTS of project pics updated 12 July '09

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I should do it, but I don't.... I think I will start though
Faith
Kute Kitty

Post by Kute Kitty »

I sign mine, usually with just my initials. Sometimes I date them too, more often I forget! I have dated all my Christmas coasters, which is nice because it's a collection I'm intending to add to for years to come so it'll be nice to be able to track the growth :) It's always the same signature because my initials are CWMD so in backstitch they make a nice little not-quite-symmetrical design which could just be a slightly weird little shape if you don't know what it is.
WIPs:
Snow Princess and the Polar Bear HAED

Plans:
Twinkle twinkle cushion for nephew's third birthday (September 2015)
Man U crests for husband and brother-in-law

meerkat

Post by meerkat »

I stitch my initials if I remember, which isn't often, but on my framed projects I use one of the info sheets I printed from this site although they are occasionally a little to big to use
http://www.stitchingthenightaway.com/pr ... sheets.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank
:ratherbe:
:tea: :cake:
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

I put my initials on only one of my projects. Some of the others I put the start and finish dates on the back of them after they were framed.
Pam
daydrmsgrl

Post by daydrmsgrl »

I always put my first name Michelle and the year like '10 of when i finished. Even if it takes like 5 years to get it done :D
WIP- HAED- Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
Soon to start- HAED- Ships and Shells
Raven

Post by Raven »

I usually put my first initial and last name with the year the work was completed in the lower right hand corner of my pieces if I remember.

Raven
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I always put my initials and date in the lower right corner. I try to make it unobtrusive.
Linda
stitchingmae

Post by stitchingmae »

Just an idea. my great aunt used to take a small peice of fabric and write her name and date on it in permanent ink and then sew it to the back of her quilts....i wonder if you could do that but use some sort of glue...or maybe that steam a stitch stuff??
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

meerkat wrote:I stitch my initials if I remember, which isn't often, but on my framed projects I use one of the info sheets I printed from this site although they are occasionally a little to big to use
http://www.stitchingthenightaway.com/pr ... sheets.htm" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks for the link - I've been looking for something exactly like that to put on the back of some Christmas presents (yes Christmas 09 :oops: ), its the only thing left to do then they can be given to the recipients.

I've put my initials and the year on a few things - some invites I did to an afternoon tea I had, my HAED QS, and I plan on doing it for the rest of my HAEDs if I ever get started/finished on them. I tend to do it in the bottom right corner where it will be hidden by a frame.
agi

Post by agi »

I always mean to - and then usually forget. I think I only signed one... no, wait, there is a full signature in my Stitichers Sampler :)

Raven wrote:I usually put my first initial and last name with the year the work was completed in the lower right hand corner of my pieces if I remember.

Raven

Raven!!! So good to see you again! How are you? :hug: We expect a full report!
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hey Raven! :wave:

Hmm, I don't ever sign my projects, I haven't really even thought to until I read this! :lol:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Happy Stitcher

Post by Happy Stitcher »

I usually forget to initial my larger projects. :doh: But with the cards I put my initial and the year on the back.

Sue :)

Lisa

Post by Lisa »

CrossStitcher magazine also had some free labels

http://mos.futurenet.com/pdf/crossstitc ... hedfor.pdf" target="_blank
Angel

Post by Angel »

I've only actually signed one...my stitchers sampler and I actually designed two of the areas to incorporate a name and date as part of the design. I'm not sure about signing other things though.
Play Outside

Post by Play Outside »

I never have, and my grandmother was always very insistent that I should sign and date. I started to understand why after she died. She had lots of things that her aunt had stitched (my great, great aunt), which were probably 80-100 years old. It would have been really nice to have a name and date on them. I'd always though "well, I know I did it, so who cares?"...I hadn't realized needlework can last that long, and I might not be around or remember when I did it. Must resolve to do this in the future, at least for big projects.
Current WIP's:
Fall Lake (GK)
Crackling Silence (Mystic Stitch)
Hidden Spirits (Dimensions)