Tools of the trade!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nosnin

Tools of the trade!

Post by nosnin »

I'm curious about what fellow stitchers use. And maybe I could learn something new!!

I use a plastic bag binder for my DMC floss. But I use cardboard bobbins for my other embroidery thread (the floss is cheap and I don't care as much about it).
I have a whole three drawer Starelite (plastic) container for all of my books, kits, fabric, floss, and others of the like. It is hard to open because it's crammed so full of stuff! >_<
When I stitch I like to copy my chart so I can mark with a highlighter on what I have done. I usually date my projects just to see how long it takes me. I'm known to stop working on a project for days at a time.
I have a small pair of travel scissors that fold. I have a Hello Kitty cellphone charm on them so I can find them.
I use a hoop, I can't bring myself to try a scroll frame of q- snaps, just not ready. I tape the edges with masking tape.
I keep the project that I'm currently working in a small plastic bag (you know the ones that are stiff and you usually take to the beach). I keep it under the coffee table and I have an iRobot Roomba, so it's all tucked away so it won't eat my project.
I want one of those daylight lamps but I don't have the room for it currently...
I also have a stand stand that you clamp on a project to but I find it so hard to flip it over to cut thread or start a new color. It's too much effort. I wish that I would use it more because my hubby bought for me. Maybe if I did some thing with a lot of the same color...
Ok, I'm done nerding out. LOL!
mags

Post by mags »

My floss is kept in plastic boxes, dmc and anchor together, just sorted into colour groups and I wind onto bobbins when I've started a skein, otherwise they are left whole.

My little craft room is awash with magazines, books, kits, fabric, sort of organised (I know where things are :lol: ) but I am currently sorting it all out.

For a large project I copy my chart and grid it off into 10x10 squares and cross of the 10x10 squares when they are done.

I have a lovely pair of small embroidery scissors, very pointy and sharp, which I keep in an old plastic cotton bobbin (it stays in nicely) to protect the points. I intend to make a cover to hide the bobbin :?

I have got hoops frames and a stand but don't get on with any of them so I just stitch in hand.

I have a lovely dmc travel bag that I keep my current project in, it sits on the settee with me and ready to be opened at a moment's notice. If I go away I usually take small projects in plastic bags that I can carry in my bag.

I have a standard spotlight behind the settee - I want to get a daylight bulb for it.

All in all I am sort of organised but want to sort all my stuff out - I tend to start designing a project or download freebies and it is this stuff that is in a bit of a mess :shock:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I keep my DMC and Anchor skeins in A5 plastic ring binder sleeves in numerical order.

Oddments and left overs from kits are wound onto bobbins in separate boxes.

Fabric sorted by type and count and kept flat in a storage box.

I have a bureau in which I keep my to do projects, most of the threads, fabric cutting scissors, completed projects waiting for frames, and anything else I need to keep handy.

I have recently found a large Knitting bag to keep my WIP's in, I keep everything needed for the projects in there, (I have two on the go at the moment). It is easy to keep out of the way of my Granddaughter, my workbox was too easy for her to ransack :D

I nearly always copy charts and mark off in pencil, easy to rub out if the Frog visits me.

I use different size hoops to work with. I have a stand but only use it if I am couching and need both hands free, I also find it hard to turn the work, and it is a pain to put away every Day. (Granddaughter fingers)

Nerding out is compulsory on here :lol:
Angel

Post by Angel »

I keep my threads on bobbins in a plastic box! Of course I rarely put all the floss on bobbins right away so I also have two re-sealable bags. One for threads waiting to be put on bobbins and one for when I accidently get more than one skien of the same colour. I'm not the most smartest person :P

There's also a space for my doodahs...
A pair of orange handled sewing scissors. Small enough to fit in the doodah section :P
Thread heaven (still working out what this is supposed to do, but I'm probably doing it wrong.)
Thread winder. To put my floss on the bobbins neatly. You do NOT want to see me do it by hand.
Some very strong, very tiny magnets the size of a watch battery, but strong enough to wipe a computer :P These are for the needles also in that section.

I have several books and charts which are loose ATM due to staying at my moms.

I use my art pen for marking off my chart copies.

Oh and I use a hoop.

Last edited by Angel on Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Oh my, so many questions to answer.

My thread is kept in various ways. My DMC is on paper bobbins in number order in an antique thread cabinet. The silks are kept on plastic bobbins in individual bags. The rest of my threads for lace, etc are kept sorted in plastic bags and stored in an antique tack chest.

I have one of those plastic drawer systems in my craft room closet that is a mix of stitching and lace accessories.
My fabrics are laid out in a plastic box in the closet. The mags and patterns are stored in binders in the same closet. The kitted patterns are in the envelop type bags in folder box. All books and bobbins are on a bookcase.

Copy and highlight

Multiple, different type of scissors for different uses. some for hardanger, some for stitching and some for lace.

Most in hand, some frame, hoop and qsnap use...never tape, stitch or use that edging gluey stuff whose name is escaping me.

I have project bags that hold various projects. And I have a Dyson Animal.

I have an Ott floor lamp for next to my chair, an ott table for taking to laceweekends and a desk lamp on my craft table.

I have a stand too that I'm still getting used to but finding that on the larger project that need the qsnaps it really is helpful.
Alyson
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Ok lets see if I can remember everything.

I have DMC all on plastic bobbins in 5 plastic containers. They are kept in a three drawer plastic tower. (first drawer) I also have small ones for my WIP colours.
Second drawer I keep all my duplicate colours arranged in plastic bags according to colour along with a list of numbers and amounts. Also in there I have all my beads, extra scissors and small bits of aida that I save for biscornu or bookmarks.
In the bottom drawer are finished projects I havent framed yet, Some are 10 yrs old. (I have about 15 to frame). Also my DMC colour chart, extra & hoops.
Hanging on the side of the tower are all my rolls of extra fabric. and on the other side more scroll frames.
I have two plastic containers that hold my magazines. A plastic box of fabrics, blank cards, black pot holders, etc. Two Kits yet to do.
I have my sets of Qsnaps in another box along with scroll frames in different sizes.
I am currantly using the carrier of my walker as a magazine holder.( Its great cause it has a handle) In it are the mags with the next project I want to do (a street of 5 shops) along with my travel case and A folder of freebies and alphabets and other assorted small projects I want to to for exhanges.
I also have a great floor stand. This one allows you to turn the scroll to end a thread with out removing it. But I just hold my Qsnaps cause the stand is annoying and bulky.
Beside my chair is a table that holds my chart (on a magnet board and stand) Along with what I might think I need (lots of usless stuff usually). I have my needle magnet holding the pattern stilll, a pair of pink plastic snips. the kind you just squeeze together. (It is too difficult to put my thumbs in small scissors of which I have 8 pair) Also thread heaven, an orts tin, and a pincoushon.
On my coffee table I have a small 5drawer unit with little things in. Buttons extra beads, needles, rullers, and on and on.
And last but not least, I have my Ott lite

Yep, we are nerdy :shock: :shock:
Linda
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Nerdy is as nerdy does.......

Nerds of a feathter.........

If I'm a nerd what are you?

Hey I work with (and live with) scientists........we ain't nerdy by any stretch :D
Rose

Post by Rose »

Well I was going to do it the easy way and tell you to go look at my webshots to see how I keep my stuff but it is down and they are making repairs and updates so I guess I will write it out.

My Floss are on plastic bobbins. I keep them in a four drawer tool box that I found one day will shoping with my husband. I looked at it and thought :thinks: floss storage. (Nerdy...yes)

I like my projects to be in a frame or hoop. I use hoops occasionally. But now mostly q-snaps for me they are the best. :whistle:

My fabric are in plastic drawers as are the kits I have bought mostly for Christmas gifts or because at the time it was the only way to get the pattern.

My books and Mags are on a shelf and in some sort of order that only I can understand. :roll: ( Nerdy...yes)

I have a daylight lamp with a tray for floss and scissors and my needle threader and ripper. I love my light and would be lost without it.

I have a stand that holds my magnetic board and it is on there that I put my charts. They stand at eye level and make it very easy to mark as I go. I mark with a pencil because I am visited by the :ribbit: fairy.

My current project is in a basket on the floor by the chair I use and my light stand. I sit there when I stitch or crochet. My kids are old enough to know not to mess and I have no grandkids to worry over. The animals have never messed with that basket even when they were little.

Now that my daughter is gone to school I am in the process of stealing her room for a craft room. It is the biggest bedroom in the house. I am going to spread my things out and set up the way I have always wanted to.

When I get it set I will put up pictures.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
hada56

Post by hada56 »

where to start LOL..
I've put all my DMC floss onto bobbins, and have those in boxes: 3 are plastic and one a recycled cookie/biscuit cardboard box. I also have 2 more, recycled, carboard boxes with the specialty-type floss: one for rayon, and one for the metallics and special effects,any and all brands. All extra, duplicate, floss I have in plastic bags sorted by colours and in a shopping bag. I also have another shopping bag with some card making supplies, plus another with envelopes,A4 paper, cards, etc. Yet another with kits (not many of those). I keep my fabric rolled up and in a small suitcase (the carry-on size), along with other bits and bobs, and some hoops (I never use). My magazines are in magazine holders, a couple bought and a couple recycled cereal boxes. all other loose charts are in folders, sorted by themes, and these are in 2 very large binders (they're called "dead archives" binders here). Plus, all my charts on the computer are also sorted by theme, etc. Since I also crochet, that, too, is sorted out.
I like to put my on-going projects in a single container: these vary, but the smaller ones are in those free cosmetic bags my husband gets in 1st class when he travels by plane; very handy! Anything larger, I do have a Flower Fairie WIP, is just placed in a plastic bag all together.
I guess that's it. I tend to put like with like, but sometimes I have crochet with cross stitching together, and there I am, looking like mad for a certain chart, only to find it inside a crochet magazine I had been looking through! :lol:
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

Gosh, you guys are too organised for me! LoL!!!

My newer DMC threads are all on stitch-bows in the DMC Gold Concept plastic sleeves in the binders that go with it. My older threads are wound onto plastic bobbins in a shoe box, but they are in number order.

My fabric and spare frames etc are currently in a old chest of drawers, no particular order. I've moved around a lot and they've had lots of different homes depending on space etc.

My WIP are kept next to the sofa so I can get to them whenever I have a spare minute.

I have hoops and frames, but love my clip scroll frames best.
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
agi

Post by agi »

I started doing cross-stitch last May. By the end of the summer I had so much stuff that I had to find a way to organize them.
I have my floss sorted by colour, not number because I have different types (DMC, Anchor, Rosace and Puppets), but nowadays I only buy DMC and/or Rosace, depending on where I do the shopping. First I made some bobbins out of cardboard, and put them in plastic bag. But it wasn't enough.
I had a quite big plastic container for knitting, which I emptied and use for storing pieces of Aida and other canvas (knitting kinda forgotten these days - well, not altogether, but mostly). I bought another box or rather a set of boxes in the Ikea - it's difficult to explain... so there is a small box with a handle that fits in the big one, sort of sits in the upper part - so I can store floss and WIP in the bottom, and current project, floss, needles, scisors in the top. And there is a cover for it that I put on when I finish every day (almost). I also use smaller plastic boxes to sort out floss for each ongoing project, they can also sit in the upper part.
I hope I could make myself understood.
So when I am not doing stitching and want to put the room in order, I only have two big plastic boxes to store - they go to the top shelf.
I also have a binder for printed out patterns, and a pile of magazines on the shelf.
I don't have a real place to stitch since we are living in a rented flat for a while - we are selling our house in the suburbs and looking for a smaller place, a flat in Budapest at the moment. But I have already planned to have my own corner in the new place: with shelves, grandmother's beautiful old round table, a new armchair and a lampstand. Now I stitch wherever I am - in bed, on the sofa, in an old (but not comfortable) armchair, and I move my box with me all the time.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

Looks like we all have the same basic principal, make do with what you have. and do what we do naturally, be creative with what you have. :idea:
Linda