Am I the only one?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

~threadbear~

Am I the only one?

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Am I the only one who doesn't like colour charts?
I have a couple of kits that I would quite like to start but I really don't like the colour charts and find them harder to follow (especially the darker 'blends').
I was browsing through the cross stitch magazines my friend gave me and noticed loads of colour charts there too!
That made me wonder if others felt the same or if it's just me, as they are obviously popular layouts in there (mags).
:thinks:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I guess I mostly do pieces that are just patterns and b/w so I'm not sure what my thoughts are on it. If I had to think hard about it I would probably say that it's not an issue since the lace patterns I'm used to doing are colored. Doing the lace I kind of got myself into the mental place of another language when I'm reading the charts. Definitely not the language that normally surrounds me so I have learned to surrender myself to the new language to learn what they are communicating to me. Sounds kind of strange I guess.
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I dont mind the colour charts, actually I like them beter.
Linda
Rose

Post by Rose »

I am of a mixed mind(don't anyone laugh) :? about the charts. If I am creating a pattern then I do like the colors charts as it keeps me in the right place in the creation portion of the pattern. If I am doing a pattern from a book or a mag I like the black and white pattern as they seem to be more clear. I don't like patterns that are black and white and red they are just to @#*&@ annoying for words, and my angel patterns are like that. So I cuss at them alot when I am stitching.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

My new project is one of those black, white and red charts Rose. First time I've tried that type.
As to the colour ones, I've never tried to stitch from one yet, I just dont like the look of it. I guess alot of it is because I cant see the 'aida' squares clearly, so I'm finding it harder to follow along.
I will try one at some point, maybe after this new project, but I don't feel as if it will be easy to follow them.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I like symbols best, some with colour +symbols are OK too But I Hate charts which just have colour blocks! :evil: Even if I liked the design I wouldn't do them! :(
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

I am working on a Dimensions kit at the moment, it is not full color, it has different color symbols on white squares, and only in black,green,red and blue, so it is very easy to see where to stitch, The ones I hate are the ones that are just colored squares with no symbols, they look Ok on the key, but colors close together change how they look and it can get confusing, especially if the kit has subtle shading.
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Yes, that is what the dolphin kit is like, the blues etc are very close shadings and it is all squares of colour, not symbols. That's why I'm :( about even starting it.
I shall probably have a go of it in the end, but I wish it was a 'proper' chart.

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Stitchindude

Post by Stitchindude »

What I do when I have just a color chart is scan it, then load it into my PC Stitch program, and presto it prints out a chart with both colors and symbols! (I love that program!)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
mags

Post by mags »

I prefer colour+symbols. My cat and owl are both just black symbols but are quite clear and you wouldn't see the difference in the shades which are very close :shock: My UFO is black symbols but is not ever so clear, difficult to work from and will probably remain a UFO.

While we are on the subject I have seen in magazines and on websites apologies and corrections to charts, at least one where a whole column or two have been left off the chart! If the chart is just symbols and no colour then the error may not be apparent. Imagine doing a large picture only to find an error like this. For someone who has not got access to the internet or doesn't buy magazines and didn't find out, this would be a bit devastating.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Hmm, yeah, that would be awful. :( I think I'd cry! lol
Maybe thats the answer then, a mix of the two.

Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I don't care for coloured charts, especially when there are no symbols. I lke the B&W charts, with symbols only. Although, saying this, there are charts, espcially in the british magazines, that sue both symbols and colour blocks, but the colour is very light, almost transparent, so you can still see the symbol very clearly, but still have an idea of the colours.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I prefer b&w charts, but don't have a lot of trouble with the ones Hada describes. Can't work with charts which are only in colour, though.

Dude, that prog sounds awesome. Is there a Mac version?
Stitchindude

Post by Stitchindude »

I don't think so Serinde. But you can check at PCStitch.com

:thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks: :thinks:
A Day Without Crossstitching, Is Like A Day Without Sunshine!
Rose

Post by Rose »

I may have miss lead you all when I said I make my own charts in color I mean the box is the color but there is also a symbol on the top of that. I have never done just a plian color only chart. Sorry didn't mean to miss lead anyone as to what type of chart I prefer. :oops:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
ConnieO

Post by ConnieO »

I prefer a chart that is a mix of colours and symbols. I find some all B/W charts hard to follow and easy to lose your place on. But I'm also the kind that won't mark a chart as I go.
A stitch in time is my idea of a perfect day!
Connie :-)
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

I dont really mind tbh, but i prefar b/w and symbol charts to just colour. As trying to sort the colours out take forever.
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

I'm a b/w girl. For the larger kits I do, I photocopy the pattern and highlight the squares once I've done them.

One of the smaller kits I did had 2 versions of the pattern, one with just the cross stitches and one with both the cross stitches and back stitches. This had it's good and bad points, you could tell exactly what stitch fell under the back stitch, however it was really easy to lose where you were.
jc

Post by jc »

I too would prefer a chart with a mix of color and symbols so that I can make a copy of it to work on. :wink:
just me :)
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yeah if the symbol is a color square only..i detest that..but work through it if it is worth it...but i love b&w symbol charts..or color w/a black symbol..then i can deal..

and yes..i have subscribed to a mag and that is how the patterns came. i just collect them and sold the whole thing on ebay...didn't make all my money back :roll: but eh.

good luck!
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend