Any quilter's around here . . .

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

kkwalrus

Any quilter's around here . . .

Post by kkwalrus »

Hi,

I am returning to quilting after a 10 year break and ...mannn... am I rusty!!! I know that the standard size for a crib mattress is 28" x 52". Could anyone tell me exactly what size quilt I should make. I can see making it 28" wide perhaps adding an extra inch or two on each side but I cannot see making it 52" long or perhaps I am wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Even when I quilted I never made a baby's crib quilt so I am just not sure.

walrus
Squirrel

Re: Any quilter's around here . . .

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Walrus,

I am a recent quilter - got talked into it when I joined a sew and chat group at a quilt shop.

I've just looked up one of my books which gives sizes.

Baby 36" x 45 so make it 45"x54"
Crib 42"x46" 54x60
Nap 54'x60 68"x76

and so it goes.

I guess it all depends on how deep the mattess is as to how much extra you add on the sides and length. 52" does sound long though.

Maybe you could go to a baby shop and measure a crib mattress which should give you a better idea.

I made a "play" quilt for a great nephew and from memory it was 46" square.

Hope this helps
Squirrel
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
kkwalrus

Re: Any quilter's around here . . .

Post by kkwalrus »

Squirrel: Thank you for the information. Hmmm, I hadn't taken the thickness of the mattress into consideration. This was supposed to to be a small project to ease me back into quilting it's getting bigger by the minute. Back to the drawing board . . .