Finding the right coloured aida

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I like that green, but I also think the suggestion Jilly made of a light blue would be lovely. Blues and greys can look so soft and gorgeous together.
:D
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yeah i only stitch on 16 or 18 ct because i like my stitches to be nice and tight..no aida
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Jayms_fallen_angel wrote:*nod nod* That's me too. Ok I've ordered a few in 16 count to try. We shall see if that's enough to make the picture and not the x the focus. What size do you use?
I tend to use 32 count over two or 28 count over two. I like the tightness and non "x" look. I prefer the focus on the picture. I will do some things over one to refine the look, like for skin. I like the contrast.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

One over 2 threads helps with perspective and especially adds depth in architectural designs.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Ok im really confused, what do u mean by over two???? please
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Sorry! :oops:

I was describing using two floss threads over two threads (or one Aida block) on your fabric, but doing only a half-cross stitch. We get so used to 'painting by number' that it's easy to forget the differences you can achieve by varying the number of floss threads you use (1,2,or 3 for example) or stitching with two floss threads over one evenweave thread instead of the usual two (as is typical in Heaven and Earth designs). Or just doing half cross.

I have seen amazing designs where one half of the cross is one colour and the other half of the cross is another colour. This design gave the illusion of a perfect reflection in water. Now, that's clever!
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

The two different colors if a very interesting idea. I've never heard or seen that. I may have to give that a try on something.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Thanks i think i no lol. Im doing a cross stitch now that says to blend colours and i dont really see y i have to but maybe i will when i do them stitches.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Thanks guys, I ordered quite a few different aidas, including quite a few suggested here, by my sister and some I ordered on a whim because i can use them in other things. Laid them out on my kitchen side with the threads and asked mum which colour she liked that would go with the colours.

My mom has finally picked one. She loved the light blue but we looked with the threads and some of the colours were so similar we chose against it and it turns out she actually hates the colour green. So I'm using a peach for this one.

Thinking of blue for a medium ebony chinchilla and black for a silver mosaic chinchilla.
My mum has all three of those colours so I think it'd be nice to give her all three stitched.