Afghans after stitching

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Mabel Figworthy

Afghans after stitching

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I managed to get hold of two small 'alphabet afghans', you know, the ones with a big panel in the centre surrounded by 26 squares, and I've found a wonderful floral alphabet to use with one of them -- it's going to be my long-term project, I think, and will end up as a keeping-my-legs-and-feet-warm-when-snuggled-up-on-the-sofa sort of rug.

But what do you do with an afghan after you've stitched and fringed it? Leave it as it is? Iron Vilene onto it? Back it? Quilt it? If so, how?

My stitching tends to be quite neat and tidy at the back so it wouldn't look too awful but I worry about threads getting caught or working loose, especially if I want to wash it.

Any advice or precious experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

I'll be interested to know the answer to this, too. I can see the possibility of children's blankets and such needing to be stitched in the future, so this will be a question answered.
I have come across this: www.serve.com/marbeth/afghan.html
and this: www.cameoroze.com/101/tip_afghan.htm
wendywombat

Post by wendywombat »

I stitched an Alphabet Afghan for my G'son. He used it as a play mat to start with but now has it hanging on his bedroom wall. I backed it simply with a piece of cream poly-cotton. It washed well and no chance of shrinkage.
You can see it on my 'wendystitch' page link below. It's under 'Furnishings'
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I haven't done an afghan yet, but hopefully I can buy one next week when I visit family in the USA.
I've read that you can back it with whatever you think practical, just as long as it doesn't shrink. I guess you could see into those fleece type fabrics, cut out to measurments, leaving seam allowances, then sew on, eaither by hand or machine. I know it sounds simple, but never having done one, this is just a thought.
HTH!