Odd question

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Angel

Odd question

Post by Angel »

Ok so this is an odd question, but does anyone have any ideas on how to attach an aida design to wood?

See I saw these adorable name tags with bunnies on them in the world of cross stitching (The front cover had somebunny on it, so I HAD to buy it), and I thought to myself "Those would make great bunny tags on the buns hutch" So now I want to make them, with the buns names and put them on the door of the buns hutch...but don't know how to attach them.
Jilly

Post by Jilly »

As the hutches are inside, would it work to mount the bunny tags inside cards, the card would stick on without much problem, and inside each card you could write about them.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Could you mount them in acrylic name tags or key rings (or fridge magnets)? That would mean you would be gluing (or whatever) the name tag and not the stitching.
To see what I mean: http://www.willowfabrics.com/acatalog/c ... gnets.html
Rose

Post by Rose »

I saw at my Michaels store a glue that you could use to attach most anything to wood but as I don't use wood for my stitching I can not remember the name of it. I don't know when I will have a chance to get to the store again but I will try to remember to look when I do.

Have you tried googling wood glues and reading what they say about different ideas for attaching things. You may have to google attaching glues rather then wood glues though as wood glues usually mean attaching wood to wood. :roll:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
agi

Post by agi »

I did two little boxes for the tombola at my school's annual ball, one with cross stitch and the other with my first and only blackwork piece on top. (Forgot to take pictures :( )
I used a very simple glue I bought in a hobby craft shop, which is good for wood, leather, paper and textile, and it creates a thin colourless film, so it doesn't show through the fabric.
It has no brand name, it only says "hobby glue". But I am sure you can find something similar to order on the internet.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Angel

Post by Angel »

I suck at googling. I was hoping someone here would know the answer, but if not it doesn't matter. I'll just ask my dad next time I see him and in hobbycraft.

My dad works with glues a lot and has been my dad for twenty years, so he can find me a glue, or alternate method to attach almost anything. But I don't see him often anymore.
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I've used PVA glue before - that dries clear, that was from Craft Creations but I'm sure most craft shops will have it. I've also got some 'sticky dots' I got from QVC, they are seriously sticky!

Paula xx
Angel

Post by Angel »

hmmm PVA. I should have thought of that. Will it work on stitching?

I fear our Destiny would make swift work of sticky dots though. She likes to pull things down.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I've heard of people using PVA on the front of stitching to make it waterproof -- is that what you're thinking of, or using it on the back to attach the stitching?
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

Just another thought, what about taking the stitching to a copy shop and getting them to laminate it, then stick it to the wood.

I've seen that done for coasters and it works really well, I keep meaning to buy a little laminater, they're quite cheap in Argos.

Paula xx