finish

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

agi

finish

Post by agi »

I wonder if someone can help me...
I have done several (small) pieces recently when I had the feeling that my finishing skills don't do justice to the stitching... I don't know if I am expressing this right... So, the stitching was OK, then I made a card of it - and it didn't look as good as I expected.

So any advice on making a perfect card welcome. :lol:
Thank you
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/557100664GQGdtI
here are my cards..if u pick one you want instructions on how to finish yours like that one of mine..ill be happy to tell you..
that is if you think mine are good :lol:
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

Agi,
I understand. I avoid some things because I have not idea how to finish them.
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

My first attempts at cards were terrible - I'm fairly adept now, I always use double sided tape from Craft Creations to stick them together.

It is trial and error sometimes, a tip I use is I stick tape around the aperture first, place the stitching on a flat surface and then stand up before I try and centre the design in the aperture - I know magazines recommend using pins to mark out your design but over the years I just rely on what I think looks OK - some magazines do a step-by-step card finishing instruction for beginners, that might give you some tips too.

I always back my work with interfacing before I put the card together - I've found stickers are easier to attach with tweezers - the amount I've ruined by sticking them to my fingers! Inside cards I mark a faint pencil line to make sure I get them level but again it's trial and error.

One thing I avoid like the plague are cushions - I just can't do the mitred corners properly - the last design I did I bought a cushion and wunda-webbed the design to the front and then edged it with ribbon - it looked OK!

Paula xx
mags

Post by mags »

I personally don't like to use sticky tape any where near my stitching as the ones I have used all seem to go yellow with age. I have just dismantled a couple of Christmas cards (made by a friend) to make an ornament out of her wonderful stitching and the fabric is quite yellow where the stickly tape was. I'm hoping it will wash off :shock: I have not tried the Craft Creations tape.

On double fold cards with a window, I just use a dab of pritstick in the furthest corners on the back. I don't stick the fabric to the front at all. I don't make a stuck together sandwich of it all, prefer it to hang naturally.

I have made some what I call bookmark cards where I have just tacked the fabric in hidden areas to a piece of paper and then stuck the paper onto the card. All the recipient has to do is to snip the tacking stitches and voila a nice bookmark to keep and use.

On single fold cards I have just frayed the fabric (aida) and stuck to the front of the card with pritstick.

I always put a separate paper insert into the card with a greeting printed from my pc on it (sometimes deckle-edged with scissors) - it makes it a bit more classy somehow.

Whatever I do, I usually know how it is going to be finished before I start a project, so there is less 'making-do'
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

Thanks for all your comments.

Coffee_freak, I have looked at your pictures. They are great! What I couldn't make out was if they can be opened or not.

I write about my experiences with card maki9ng, perhaps you can tel me what went wrong.

I have tried to make cards similar to the ones with the little mouse and easter eggs in your collection. I didn't cut the "window" myself, but bought ready-made cards. I glued the stitching in the window. Then I tried two different methods:
1. I glued the whole card together, and wote my message in the bottom - the edges weren't really nice, and the person I gave it to, tried to open it, he almost tore apart the whole thing. :(
2. I glued another sheat of cardboard paper at the back of the stitching, and wrote the message inside - I couldn't cut the carboard nicely, the edges, where glued together, were uneven again.
Though I did iron the stitching well before putting it in the card, the final result still was wrinkled.

I also liked your first one, named "aoycard" how did you make that? It seems that the stitching is on top of the card. And the little friendship card - how do you prevent the edges of the stitching from fraying? And what glue do you use?

Thank you for your help!
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."

My blog
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

yes they do open.

ok the one on the left...white 5x7 card...
then i use a stencil to cut a window out of a piece of red cardstock to frame my stitching..
I then glue the stitching to the red cardstock centering the design.
then the whole thing gets glued down to the top of the white cardstock.
i always let then stand up, open , to air dry before try to lay then closed.

the center one...
i used scrapbook scissors to cut a piece of printed paper after i glued the stitched piece down....then that got glued to the top.

i found these were easier and kept the glue from going anywhere near the inside.
I USED to cut a window out of the top of the actual card..
and then open the card and glue the stitched piece inside facing out...
then glued a piece of paper over the back of the stitched piece...
this worked ok if left to dry but then i found that in transit sometimes the humidity got the glue sticky again and the card was glued shut..lol

i hope i explained this ok..

this one is using the 2nd example..the way i don't do anymore..
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you so much! :lol:
Yes, it makes sense. I am going to try this new method out, it sounds so simple. Still I need to learn how to cut nice and straight. My problem was probably that I do not have very good accessories to do this. I bought a good paperknife to cut with, but I will need a board and some liners too.

I will show when I do something. Thanks once again :D
Agi

My blog
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/s_sh ... tools.aspx
Ultra ShapeXpressâ„¢

and

http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tools/s_sh ... lates.aspx
templates

these are what i have..not the exact shapes but i couldn't find the templates..
you can find these at most craft stores in the scrapbook isle.
they work great! there is a whole kit that comes w/ the mat, the cutter and 2 templates..squares and circles of different sizes.

if you plan on doing cards a lot...i recommend these..
the cutter is easy to use and the whole kit runs about $30 but you can use a 40% off coupon if you have a micheals or ac moore craft store..
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

i just saw where you lived..not sure if you could get these there..maybe off the net somewhere..or the site directly..

good luck!
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you! I am not sure either if I can buy them in Hungary, but there are some really big hobby craft shops in Budapest, I just haven't looked around them too much.
I will also take a look around on the web...
Thanks. :lol:
Agi

My blog
PaulaH

Post by PaulaH »

I'm terrible with scissors - I usually buy aperture cards. I did recently get a mini guillotine but that was for some flyers for our carer forum.

Paula xx
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

I use aperture cards too. SewandSo are pretty good and have their own selection at a reasonable price.
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I like aperture cards but they are quite expensive and unless you get a whole range they're not always the right size, so I got some reasonably cheap plain cards in 10 different colours (£5 for a pack of 50, including matching envelopes -- there a bit more expensive now) from Liz's Craft, and a circular cutter which I can set to any size I like.

Admittedly this means I can't do ovals, but if I have anything that really won't fit into a circle I'll cut a rectangle with a craft knife.

I do use double sided tape, mostly because it is so convenient and it does seem to work well so far; also, my mother-in-law likes to use the stitching from cards I send her for patchwork and this way she can get them out of the cards easily :-).

You're right that people will sometimes try to open a stuck-down card; I haven't found a solution for that yet. I really like the double fold ones, with the aperture in the middle panel so you have your backing card as part of the card (does this make sense?)

Craft Creation do some lovely ones where the aperture has a deckle edge. Unfortunately they don't come with envelopes, and they're about 25p each for a postcard-sized card, though you do get discounts for quantity. I may treat myself to some of these for my birthday (now there's a good idea).

Sometimes I just don't bother with apertures at all, but stitch the design on aida, cut and fray it and stick it to the front. Actually I sometimes do this with evenweave and linen as well. Much the easiest option, but on the whole I think I prefer the aperture ones.