Slowly getting back into old routine

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Busy_B

Slowly getting back into old routine

Post by Busy_B »

Hello everyone! I'm sorry I've been quiet for so long! I've still been poking my head in about once a day, but haven't really been able to post.

As some of you may remember, I help take care of my grandmother during the day while my mom is at work. I've been doing that since mid-March. since there's no internet at the house, it's taken away from my forum time. Unfortunately Grandma's dimentia has snapped to the next level over the last three weeks, and she's had to have 24 hour supervision, so I was at the house even more. She's been in the hospital since Sunday, and will be released to rehab this week because she is so weak.

Now, you'd think that this would give me more time to stitch and chat on here, but I'm starting to doubt it. I've taken a new part-time job that will last for about 3 months. I have to go for training at the beginning of December in LA. (Little worried/nervous about being away from the munchkins since I'll be gone for 6 days/5 nights and I've only been away from them for less than 2 days but still in the same town.)

I'm still working on the dragon model that I started in July (I think) in my spare time which isn't there with all of the cake orders, kids' activities, and everything I do at school. I've also started a project for DS's first communion which will be in May. I'm having a hard time getting into it though. I'll try to post pictures of that one soon.

I hope to be more active in the very near future! I miss seeing everyone's work and chatting about things going on.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
agi

Re: Slowly getting back into old routine

Post by agi »

Hello, good to hear from you, and we have been missing you too.
Sorry about the degrading health of your grandma.

Hope you will get through this hard patch soon and find more time for stitching and for us as well. :hug:
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Rose

Post by Rose »

Good to hear from you B. Wow that is sad that your grandma has had a set-back. So hard to see our loved ones in this type of condition. :hug:

Good Luck with the job I am sure the munchkins will be fine while you are away. :)
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Thanks for the update! I'm sorry your grandma took a turn for the worse :hug:

good luck with the training for the job, and finsing just a little bit of time to stitch (I've been admiring the design you picked for your DS)!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Thanks, everyone! Unfortunately the hospital hasn't found anything major wrong with Grandma. Her pancrease isn't acting correctly, and she has a weak heart, but that's all they've found. She is 86 years old. The last few weeks have just been challenging because she basically turned into a 2 year old with the demanding, temper tantrums, and defiance.

This morning I have to stay home until my laptop for work is delivered with my training manual. :thinks: Maybe I need to pull out the eagle for DS......
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
maggs

Post by maggs »

BB sorry to hear about your grandmother. :hug:

Good luck with the new job. :shamrock:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
WIP
Birds
Water Tiger
Millenium Sampler
Xmas stocking

2010 Finishes
Alphabet afghan
ATC 7&8
Egg swap
Forgotten Cart
KK/Kearbear cards
Sweet Dreams sampler
xmas Biscornu
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

Sorry your Grandma is going through this :hug: Hope your job training goes smoothly.
Pam
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Sounds like you're keeping true to your name :wink: Hope everything is ok with your grandmother. That has to be really tough. :hug:
Faith
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. But hopefully everything will work out with this new job. If you have a laptop and if there's a camera on it you can always use Skype to keep in touch with family.
sammy_v

Post by sammy_v »

Sorry to hear about ur grandma hunni, really hope they can find out whats going on soon. Hope everything works out with this new job. x *hugs*
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Well, so much for getting back into the old routine! It has been absolutely crazy lately!

Grandma has been settled into a memory area of a rehab facility. In case she doesn't get strong enough to come home (most likely the case), she'll be able to stay where she's at as long as she behaves herself. :x: :x: :x:

I'm trying to keep up with everything for the kids' school when it comes to the PTO activities and running a challenge for fundraisers, but I feel like it's burying me at times. DH and I have spent at least 10 hours over the last 4 days or so cutting out Box Tops so we can turn them in. I shouldn't complain because the kids have turned in about $500 worth of Box Tops in the last 4 weeks. It's just a lot of work when each box top is worth 10 cents.

On top of all of that, I've been doing at home training for a new temporary job. I leave Wednesday for Los Angeles for 4 days of training. I'll be back on Monday. I am taking a small project (well 24 small projects) with me to work on on the plane and in the hotel during down times. They're parts of an advent calendar I'd like to eventually finish. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to show when I get back late Monday.

Hope everyone is doing well! I have my fingers crossed that I'll be more active shortly. :?
Like_Fine_VVine

Post by Like_Fine_VVine »

:hug: I hope your trip goes well; stay safe!
~~~~~~~ :toast: ~~~~~~~
WIPs
A Treasured Time
2010 Completed Projects

"Summer Breeze" - Paula Vaughn (Aug)
"Brighter Tomorrows" - Breast Cancer Awareness Sampler (Sep)
"Rooster" (Oct)
~~~~~~~ :toast: ~~~~~~~
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hope the trip and the training go well and good luck with the stitching time too. Hopefully you can fit in a short stitching time each night to help you unwind after all that training.

Fingers crossed that your grandmother behaves herself.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Hope you'll manage a bit of you-time in all this hectic business!

Good to know that your Grandma is in a place where she'll be looked after permanently should it become necessary.
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

I hope everything is well with your grandma.
I cut my own boxtops down because I remember the last time you had to do this.... I dunno if I'd want a hobby involving scissors after an ordeal like that! :shock:
Faith
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Hello again everyone! I've been around a little more the last day or two, so let's hope that life won't get in the way so much for a while.

Just to bring everyone up to date....I finished my part-time job at the beginning of March. I enjoyed the job even though it kept me very busy! I liked going around to different schools to assess the students. I have another week or two before I start scoring essays online. At least it's working from home during set times and only goes for about 3 weeks.

My grandmother is still in the nursing home. About mid-December she started getting very agitated and somewhat violent at times. She would hit and try to bite people (not hard at all at her age/strength). My mom made the decision to send her to a transition unit in a hospital that helps people transition from living in their homes to an institution. She was in there for almost 3 weeks while they did their program and worked out her medications. She has definitely settled down at the nursing home again and seems to be doing well. She's started eating more, which is wonderful because she was only eating about 10% of her food. However, she has no desire to walk any more and stays in the wheelchair. She will be 87 next month and still has a strong will at times. Unfortunately, we know that we'll never be able to bring her home again. There is no way my mom and I can care for her. We knew it would come to this one day and have come to terms with it. My mom is still living in Grandma's house and will until the time comes that we need to sell it.

As for my extra activities, my kids' school keeps me busy between being the Box Top coordinator, PTO president and other things. I'm also the volunteer coordinator for our soccer club, and soccer season starts next month so all of that picks up. We've got 2 wedding cakes ordered for next month along with a few other cakes almost every week. I'm hoping that with all of this going on that I can still be more active than I have been in the last 5-6 months.
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

nice to see you! my grandmother is just about on the same place as yours..it's not easy...i don't live that close..about 6hrs away..but I know what my aunt is going through right now dealing with that..
hang in there and pop in when you can :wub:
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend