Backstitching on Tatty Teddy

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Sounie42

Backstitching on Tatty Teddy

Post by Sounie42 »

Hi everyone

I am fairly new to cross stitching and have finished all of the cross stitches of the tatty teddy design. However I am a bit confused about the backstitching for his tatty fur as it doesnt seem to correspond to holes on the fabric.

I dont want to start doing something and mess up the design which is lovely.

Any tips would be great on how to deal with Tatty Teddy's tatty fur.
karen4bells

Re: Backstitching on Tatty Teddy

Post by karen4bells »

Hi
First of all, welcome to the forum. Great to see you here.
Having stitched a few dozen of the tatty teddy designs over the past few years, I do have a few hints. First of all, you are correct, the backstitching does not correspond all that well to the holes in the fabric. To do the backstitching more easily for the fur, I would recommend using a sharp needle--just be careful not to poke yourself with the point or you will have to deal with blood stains on the project. Next, I would highly recommend making a photocopy of the backstitching chart--and if at all possible, enlarging it so you can see the exact points of where the stitches are. Then I would make sure, not to worry if it's not exact--as after all, it is just fur. I'd also suggest using a highlighter or marking pen on that copy, so you can mark off as you stitch, and try to take breaks from the stitching. Most of all, try and have fun with it--tatty teddy is such a favorite of mine!! Hope this helps :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

zoe marie

Post by zoe marie »

Thank you Karen for the tip as I have almost finished a tatty ted & was stuck on the backstitch! Does anyone want to do mine?
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:) Hope it helps you Zoe--main thing is to just do a bit at a time and don't worry if the fur is perfect :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

zoe marie

Post by zoe marie »

Love Ted but not liking cross stitch one & have sitting ted with heart balloon to start & do by March 9th for sister's 18th!
caz78

Post by caz78 »

My first cross stitch was a tatty ted and the fur drove me nuts! In the end i sort of used the chart as a 'suggestion' and put the back stitching on pretty randomly. you know what, it looked great! :lol: x
Completed April 2011 HAED Garnet QS
WIP HAED Wrath - started 14/4/2011
zoe marie

Post by zoe marie »

I started the fur around Tatty's ears and so far it looks ok! Use a sharp needle to get through the aida without messing the stitches up and don't worry if it's not the exact same as the chart as the fur looks rough on them anyway!

Thank you for the advice Caz78, it really helped me to remember it doesn't have to be perfect 24/7!!!
Jaki :)

Post by Jaki :) »

I start off Tatty backstitch with good intentions of following pattern, then lose the plot halfway thru & make it up as I go along :)
Jaki x

2012 WIP Gothic fairy

2012 Finishes...Sara Moon
Sounie42

Post by Sounie42 »

Thanks very much to everyone for their hints - and the fact that some of you went off chart and he turned out ok. I have had to put him to one side to finishe a project for a friend who is moving house at the end of this month - a month early!!!!! :shock: Ill get back to ted soon.
Ingahaim

Post by Ingahaim »

well, I'm a lazy tatty teddie stitcher. What I do is stitch the little squares and so as they have to be, and the threads that have to be his fur, I just don't use the pattern for anymore. I just stitch a bit here and a bit there in different lengths.

Jacki

Post by Jacki »

I bought several Tatty Teddy kits in a half price sale. I felt quite smug until I came to do the backstitching! I do about half an hour a day which makes it bearable.

I find that some of the backstitching seems to "disappear" and I wonder what I am doing wrong? Any advice anyone?