Curious about threads

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

MaggieM1750

Re: Curious about threads

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I buy standard DMC at JoAnn's usually. Without coupon or sale, I think they are $0.39 a skein. When I buy them at my stitchy store, I think they are $0.45-0.50.

Just bought some Weeks Dye Works floss for $2 a skein. Dinky Dyes were $3. Silks can be anywhere between $4 -6.50 depending on the brand.
talenaya

Curious about threads

Post by talenaya »

I get most of my floss (DMC solids) at JoAnns and Michael's down in Jacksonville, FL so I'm usually paying 35 to 37 cents unless there's a sale. In the pass when I've needed a color immediately and didn't have it I'd have to go to the embroidery store and pay 64 cents.
On different threads on the forum the cost of floss usually gets mention. I was curious after reading that DMC is raising their cost about what everyone tends to pay.
:kitty:Victoria :kitty:

:wip:
HEAD: Nala
Trylla

Post by Trylla »

Up where I am in Ontario, Canada, I get DMC at Michael's for 49 cents each unless I happen to have a % off entire purchase coupon. If Michael's doesn't have what I need, then I pick it up at my LNS for 75 cents per skein.

It sounds a little expensive, but since I only seem to use DMC for my HAEDs and instead use over-dyed threads and silks for my other projects, which run $2.55 - $3.50 per skein, well, it's not so bad.
Trylla
WIP
Drama Queen - custom chart (skitzzzzz)

My Blog
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Silks and speciality threads are generally so expensive here (UK) that for some brands it is actually cheaper to buy them from America or Australia :shock:
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
kell

Post by kell »

Yup, locally, I can only buy Anchor and DMC - they retail at about 85p-90p per skein. There are no speciality threads or silks available local to me (you can't even get Madeira or Venus, which aren't speciality at all!). This is why I get almost all my stash online where the threads still average 60-70p per skein, but when you're buying a few, that 25p-30p difference is huge! I did find one online place based in the UK with cheaper pricesfor threads they're currently retailing at 37p per skein, but they don't always have all the colours in stock, so you sometimes have to wait a little while to get them.
zoe marie

Post by zoe marie »

kell wrote:Yup, locally, I can only buy Anchor and DMC - they retail at about 85p-90p per skein. There are no speciality threads or silks available local to me (you can't even get Madeira or Venus, which aren't speciality at all!). This is why I get almost all my stash online where the threads still average 60-70p per skein, but when you're buying a few, that 25p-30p difference is huge! I did find one online place based in the UK with cheaper pricesfor threads they're currently retailing at 37p per skein, but they don't always have all the colours in stock, so you sometimes have to wait a little while to get them.
Which online shop as I may need to find some colours at those prices? he he he
ladymyste

Post by ladymyste »

I buy my DMC glosses at Joannns but lately I don't enjoy them. I've started using the Carries Threads Silks and love them. I buy them from Stitching Bits and Bobs at $2 each but they are great to work with.
Debbie
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

the only place near me are michaels and acmoore craft stores..usually the DMC are 39 cents a skien..don't buy anything else...sometimes they go on sale for 26 cents..but with the price increase coming i'm not sure what they will be...
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
helbel

Post by helbel »

A little comparison for you all,

I just checked Sew and So and they sell Anchor at 62p and DMC at 65p. So lets say if you bought at a store you'd pay 70p per skein. I'm probably being optimistic there!

At today's currency rates:

£0.70 = $1.10 USD = 0.83 EUR = 1.12 AUD

(all conversions GBP into other currency)

I'm beginning to think of stocking up on threads when I visit the US in a few months!
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Wow I can't believe how expensive it can be over the pond! :shock: I think it evens though... I may get floss cheaper.. but I have to pay quite a bit if I want to purchase one of the imported magazines :wink: I usually get my floss for .36 at AC Moore.. Sometimes Michaels for the same the price if I'm going to the bookstore afterwards (usually for cross stitch magazines :wink: )
Faith
kell

Post by kell »

zoe marie wrote:
kell wrote: I did find one online place based in the UK with cheaper pricesfor threads they're currently retailing at 37p per skein, but they don't always have all the colours in stock, so you sometimes have to wait a little while to get them.
Which online shop as I may need to find some colours at those prices? he he he
Have a look HERE.
kell

Post by kell »

Nachstenliebe wrote:...I usually get my floss for .36 at AC Moore.. Sometimes Michaels for the same the price if I'm going to the bookstore afterwards (usually for cross stitch magazines :wink: )
Faith
I only wish we could get those prices over here - that works out at, like, 22p-23p per skein. We currently pay 3-4 times that in shops over here! :(

This is why so many LNSs are going out of business - people can't afford the prices when they're stitching a large project with many colours, such as a HAED, so they're forced to buy online for the cheapest price they can find and pad the order out with fabric etc to make it all worth their while, meaning there's nothing left to buy in the LNS. There's also usually far more choice in threads and fabrics online. I'm terribly disappointed with our local Hobbycraft, as there's only a very small needlework section with only Anchor and DMC threads, and limited fabrics (only the basics in very few colours).

It's sad, because one day in the not too distant future, there won't be any LNSs left as a result! :(
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

helbel wrote:At today's currency rates:

£0.70 = $1.10 USD = 0.83 EUR = 1.12 AUD

(all conversions GBP into other currency)

I'm beginning to think of stocking up on threads when I visit the US in a few months!
I believe we have the wonderful EU to thank for this price discrepancy. I am sure I read it on this forum something to do with some dyes being banned in the EU and more expensive alternatives have to be used.

By all means do stock up overseas (Asian countries are also bargain basement for DMC/Anchor) but be wary of mixing same colour skeins from different continents as the actual colour might differ slightly. I have Anchor skeins from Asia and the colours differ by a fair amount against the same skein number from the EU.
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
XandraS

Post by XandraS »

My DMC solids were all bought in Abu Dhabi for 2 Dirham a skein (that's about 34p), I need to get some more for future projects, but luckily I have friends there who will buy them for me and send them over. I can get both anchor and dmc in Liverpool but the prices are ridiculous
XandraS...
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Lacemaker was a stash fairy for me and it worked out alot cheaper than buying here in the UK. I also use ebay. Sadly buying at the local needle shops work out too expensive.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Here in Aus we pay around $A1.30 - $A1.45 per skein for DMC. I usually only buy when they are on special.

At present the Aussie dollar is almost on parity with the US, at about 99c last night, so it is a huge difference for us to buy locally. Very tempted to buy online from the US next time I do a restock.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

Given the price discrepencies and the fact that someone else mentioned the US threads being wound differently resulting in easier stitching I will definitely be placing a significant order from the US while the exchange rate is good.

And it's spot on that's why our local sewing supplies are going out of business - they don't stock the range, they charge too much and they've got bupkiss product knowledge.
Myst..
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

Some of our lovely members did the 'floss fairy' thing for a few of us awhile back and when there was a good sale on, they took orders and we got threads at a great price. I think the exchange rate was really good at that time and that was what made it such a good deal.
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Parksfarm

Post by Parksfarm »

I'd be willing to buy floss and send it overseas for folks. It was $.37 or $.39 at our local fabric stores last time I was there which was last week... Not sure how much shipping will be but I can look into it if anyone is interested. I suppose it will depend on how much you want... :)
Dana

WIPs

HAEDS
Lovers, Christmas Fairy, Goblins Fae Guide, Autumn Pears, Ride the Wind, Chimera Black Rose, Surfers Dream, Witching Hour, QS Nostlagy, Lg Treasure Hunt Bookshelf, Owen

Chatelaine
Konstantinople Hamam, Serengeti, Alpine Seasons
Genevieve

Post by Genevieve »

Have a look HERE.[/quote]

Wow, I wish I'd found this shop earlier - I've bookmarked it, thank you, Kell. I've just bought some threads from The Happy Cross Stitcher at 61p each. However, the postage is free, which is good. I can't find the postage costs on the Across Town Stitching site - do you know what they are, please?

eta - Just had a browse and found that the postage is £1.50. I would have saved about £3.