What to do with finished projects

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

gyork

What to do with finished projects

Post by gyork »

I know this seems a daft one, but what does everyone do with their finished projects.

I want to display mine, but going to run out of wall space by the time I am finished them all, what to do (dilemma).

:doh: :doh:
Gillian

W I P
The astronomer HAED - started 13.02.16 (paused)
Wedding Flowers - started 25.04.19
koko

Re: What to do with finished projects

Post by koko »

I give a lot of mine as gifts, but also have been trying to find alternate finishing methods because I don't have a lot of wall space left either. I can't afford to buy a new house to get more wall space :lol: so I figure I need to find alternate uses for my cross stitch projects. Right now I am making a bag for my sister out of one piece, and I found a website that has a lot of "stitchable" items - mostly items that will hold your stitching like coffee mugs, jewelery boxes, etc. They are only good for smaller projects though, so I am still trying to find things to do with larger projects :)
Kim

2011 Projects:

Current:
Floral Hand-Towels
Various Christmas Cards / Presents

Long-Term WIP's:
Chatelaine Hummingbird Mandala
Dunnotar Castle - 23,718 of 60,368 stitches
pamelam

Post by pamelam »

I know what you mean, Gillian. I've got mine all over the house, and lots more unframed that I don't know where I'll put them.
Pam
gyork

Post by gyork »

I want to frame bugs bunny and my two geisha pieces, apart from that if I can get it finished, I will give one of the small pieces to my mum for mothers day, but still going to have loads left lying around.

Other half starting to moan now, "why do you keep buying these when you have knowhwere to put them". So might have to buy myself a chest or something to put them in.
Gillian

W I P
~threadbear~

Post by ~threadbear~ »

I'm not going to be very helpful with this I'm afraid.
Some of mine are framed or made into cards, the rest are just stuck away in a drawer. :oops:

I don't think I'm very good at finishings and some of the lovely things you can do with them, well, I don't know that I could manage. Maybe one day I'll think of something simple but nice. :thinks:
:choc: There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE! :dance:
:choc: Forget love! I'd rather fall in CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Current :wip:
With Faith :dance:
Dogs
Snow Leopard (Haed)
Big Cats

Blog
Slinky

Post by Slinky »

Same as above, I have too many to keep framing, my whole house would look like a gallery! Some are unframed in drawers, some have been given away, one I have turned into a bag, & I keep meaning to try my hand at cushions ...

Latest plan is to take surplus projects down to my grandfather's house. He lives in a residential home now so his house is used as a holiday home by the rest of the family (he's cool with this!). But I decided he didn't have enough pictures up, and hey, there's a whole bungalow to fill!! Should keep me busy for a while!!
~ girls with dreams grow into women with vision ~

WIPs:
The Sweetheart Tree 12 Days of Christmas
Sharon Pope's Gingerbread Cottage
Chatelaine Christmas Mystery 2011
gyork

Post by gyork »

good idea, i think my mum might be getting a few too.
Gillian

W I P
Carolynn

Post by Carolynn »

I use the hall between the two levels for a gallery. I also rotate pictures routinely(sometimes). I always try to have a different picture in the guest room each time someone visits. This finally required a note book! Having a couple finished projects for gifts has been my plan for a long time. The stitched picture over a set of doors was intended for someone else, just could not part with it once it was framed. They did receive another nice gift!
Rose

Post by Rose »

You can turn some of them into pillows or you could put a few together and make up a quilt. I have done both. And they look gorgeous. They don't all have to be the same size to make a quilt. It is fun to mix and match the sizes to come up with a great blanket.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
ivanputz

Post by ivanputz »

I always frame my finished pieces. Mostly cause I don't know how to make things into a pillow or card or whatnot. Plus it keeps the design nice and clean under glass. I like the rotating pictures idea. Is there a way you could rework how you decorate your house and put the pictures closer together. It sucks to keep all your nice artwork in a box somewhere that no one can appreciate it.

Wall space is a problem that I have also :)
helbel

Post by helbel »

Part of my plan is to stitch Christmas things, so I can rotate what hangs on the wall for Christmas and voila! instant decoration.
kell

Post by kell »

Small ones are easy - ornaments, mugs, boxes etc. Larger ones could be used for bags, cushions and quilts...
paul

Post by paul »

I have made a few into cushions and even used some as place matts and coasters. Very good if you do Christmas ones. You can buy a plastic cover to put your finished project in. Can't remember where I got them from though.
Finished:
Massive Disney design
Freddie mercury (for my mum)
Ocras at play.
Dolphins.
gyork

Post by gyork »

some great suggestions think covers or cushions good idea
Gillian

W I P
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

My MIL used lots of small projects I'd sent her as cards by stitching them as patches onto a neutral cushion cover -- makes an interesting and unique cushion!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I don't have enough finishes but I like the idea of having a book of them, like a photo album ... haven't worked out the logistics yet though.
Myst..
Corey.G

Post by Corey.G »

pamelam wrote: I've got mine all over the house, and lots more unframed that I don't know where I'll put them.
I wish I had that problem. But right now I'm planning to try to stitch something on a pillow. But I'd rather use waste canvas. Not fond of Aida as fabric for pillows. And soon I'm planning a section of a wall for certain cross stitches. :)
K1nS

Post by K1nS »

Up until the last few weeks, mine have just been put away in my stitchy bag... I kept forgetting to get them framed :oops: But I am slowly starting to display mine, although soon I think ill be running out of room aswel so not a clue what ill do then.... maybe alternate them? :lol: