software help!

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

vicci

software help!

Post by vicci »

does anyone know of a software you can get to make patterns like the ones in the magazines?
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

There's quite a selection of them -- the trouble often is not so much finding one, but choosing between the half-a-dozen or so that you find!

I use Jane Greenoff's Cross Stitch Pattern Creator 2, as I said elsewhere for no better reason than that I found it cheap on eBay and thought I'd give it a try. It works well apart from a few backstitch niggles and an unreliable 'undo' function.

I think you can get demo versions of some of them, perhaps if you Google cross stitch designer demo it might give you a few ideas.
vicci

Post by vicci »

i have used that and i find thats its complicated. id like to find an easier one. i cant seem to get the pictures to look the way i want them to. i downloaded a demo of cross stitch professional platinum and i like that but i can only find it in America.
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

This may be a very silly question, but why does it matter if you can only find it in the US? Apart from paying for it (and the exchange rate is way in your favour if you are in the UK), if your computer will support the software, there shouldn't be a problem. Am I missing something?? :shock:
vicci

Post by vicci »

its not a silly question id just rather buy it in the uk. but if not ill just have to buy from america. i just hate waiting. :)
Rose

Post by Rose »

I use Cross Stitch Pro I find it very good to use and the functions work quite well. I am not very computery but I get on with this one once the glitches have been worked out.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
mags

Post by mags »

I just did a yahoo search for 'cross stitch professional platinum' + UK and several sites came up - don't know them but may be worth checking out
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
vicci

Post by vicci »

thanks ill try them. :)
dpsoftware

Re: software help!

Post by dpsoftware »

Cross Stitch Professional Platinum was written in the UK (by me!) and is available from stock in UK, USA, Germany, Portugal and Denmark. The UK online store is http://www.dpsoftware.co.uk/catalog/index.php" target="_blank

You can also buy cheaper for download from SWREG (Softshop):
https://gbp.swreg.org/soft_shop/51192/index.shtml" target="_blank

There are different price levels so checkout the free demo to see which one you need first:
http://www.dpsoftware.com/xspro/xsplatdemo.exe" target="_blank

Most of the magazines will use more general layout software to produce their pages like Adobe InDesign and probably on a MAC system. Origin publishing that produce world of cross stitch magazine use Cross Stitch Professional Platinum but then export the chart to their usual publishing software and change to their own symbols.

Dave Peters
DP Software
SusanF

Re: software help!

Post by SusanF »

I bought Cross Stitch Pro Platinum recently and have been really pleased with it. I would suggest you download the various free versions of this type of software and see what suits you the best. I liked Cross Stitch Pro more than the others specifically because of the ability to see what the design will look like in real life - you can see it as if it's a photograph instead of a graphic. Dave Peters also seems willing to listen to requests (from the Cross Stitch Pro forum) and incorporates many of them into later versions of the software.

Just thought I'd take this opportunity to say thanks :D
Susan

My Stitchy blog: SF Stitch
(updated 16th April 2010)