Sewing machine - help needed, please

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

agi

Sewing machine - help needed, please

Post by agi »

I knew it wouldn't be easy. I "learned" how to use the machine in half an hour at Alexandra palace last autumn, but there the machines were all set up and ready to go.
Now, I finally managed to get my courage together and sat down to try out my new machine. Here it is:

After spending an hour reading the manual, and threading the things I got a lot of tangles, and after many trials finally managed to sew this many stitches:

Alas, I was happy to early. The back looked like this:

And couldn't even pull it off the machine.

The dark thread is the top thread, so I assume there is a mistake in threading or the tautness - can somebody please, please help me out?
Thank you so much.
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."
(Géza Ottlik, Hungarian writer)

My blog
Reta

Re: Sewing machine - help needed, please

Post by Reta »

Have you got the bobbin in the right way?

Try Adjusting the tension knob just above the needle Do a few stitches and check again and keep doing it till you get the tension right

It is a trial and error job
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

I agree with Reta it is a trial and error piece of work for you to do. Tension just above the needle, pressure on the top (looks like a silver knob that turns etc, adjust everything that can be adjusted but only a little at a time so that you can see what difference each makes. Play around with it and it will help you to get to know your machine.

rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Offe

Post by Offe »

This happens to me when I forget to hold on to the thread ends at the very start.
Last edited by Offe on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rose

Post by Rose »

It could be 2 things first the bobbin could be in the wrong way/ or you have the threading incorrect.

Or the tension is set incorrectly.

As the girls say you have to do the whole trial and error process to find the proper setting and also remember that different fabrics will need different tension settings.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
cgirlish

Post by cgirlish »

LOL, awe and I was going to ask for a new sewing machine for christmas...I think I may end up in the same boat....I learned how to sew in High school but dont remember any of it now.....
Connie
http://cgirlish.blogspot.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP
Monoply board
HEAD Angel of mine
HEAD SK Treasures

Future Projects

Maryln Monroe pic
World Map
Reta

Post by Reta »

I have a basic electric sewing machine it goes backwards or forwards

That'll do me for the jobs i need to do
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

I am pretty sure that I know what this is - because I used to have the problem myself.

With some machines the exact position of the thread takeup arm when you start sewing is critical.

to see what a "thread takeup arm" is look here

http://sewandserge.com/sewparts.asp" target="_blank

You need to make sure that this is at the TOP of its travel.

Then thread the machine and when you have passed your thread through the eye of the needle take both that thread (the top one, and the bobbin thread and pull them out about 30 cm. That is longer than you need, but it will do no harm to have it too long.

Set the tension (the numbered wheel on the front just near the thread takeup arm) to about half way, so if the numbers run from 1 to six set it on 3 or 4.

Try sewing.

If this turns out to be the problem then you will probably find that every time you stop sewing (for example to turn a corner) you need to make sure that you have wound the machine on by hand till the takeup arm is at the top before you start the motor again.

It is easer to assess the tension if you are doing a straight stitch - it will show if its too tight because the material will pucker, too loose and when you pull the material apart the thread will show. Also I would suggest that you start learning to sew on some old plain material - something like cotton dress fabric or sheeting, which is easier to sew than loose woven stuff, and you can see more easily if you have your tension right. Once you have the tension right in straight stitch, it will automatically be right in zigzag too.

I could teach you to use a machine and maintain it in half an hour - face to face - but it might take a bit longer online!!
cgirlish

Post by cgirlish »

See if the hubby will go for this one

"hunny I need to go to london for my sewing class with Ruthi"

LOL
Connie
http://cgirlish.blogspot.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP
Monoply board
HEAD Angel of mine
HEAD SK Treasures

Future Projects

Maryln Monroe pic
World Map
mags

Post by mags »

I too have had this problem but cannot remember why or how I corrected it. Hope to have the machine out tomorrow so I will report back if it happens to me. :thinks:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
agi

Post by agi »

I tried to adjust the tension of the upper thread, but I have a feeling that the lower thread is too tight, and I cannot losen the screw there, it is stuck. I might have to find a man to do that for me LOL. Well, Stephen arrives on Saturday, if I cannot find anyone earlier :D
I have a friend who promised to help, if only we can find time for her to come over for a short time. That would be the best.

Thanks for all the tips and please, keep them coming, my sewing experience is half an hour all my life :lol: - but not for long now!!!
Agi

"The world, as a colourful knot of threads, has turned into a memory, and now you cannot be sure whether it was real."

My blog
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

If it comes to it, most sewing shops (like the one you purchased your machine from) will take a few minutes to help you figure that out. It's a really basic fix, but each machine is a tad bit different. When you purchase a sewing machine from a shop and they've walked you through the basics, you typically walk out with the tension set for basic sewing, but it looks to me like, as others have said, your bobbin tension is off.

I wish I knew more about your particular machine to help... but my advice is to take it in if it's even remotely convenient, to someone at a shop who can spend a few minutes with you.
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
Rose

Post by Rose »

Usually you adjust the tension with the knob on the front of the machine if the tension on the bobbin is wrong you probably have the bobbin in wrong or there may be some thread stuck where it should not be but I would NOT loosen anything in that area as it will really get messed up then.
agi

Post by agi »

I didn't buy it, it was given me for free from someone on Hungarian freecycle. When I went to pick it up we just plugged it in and checked that it was working. I assumed they thought I knew how to work it. Unfortunately they were just in the middle of a Sunday lunch so I didn't want to interrupt too long otherwise would have asked more questions.

The manual says that the upper thread should be loosened or tensed by a knob, which I can do, and the lower thread by a small screw on the little round thing into which you put the bobbin. When I try pulling the thread from the lower bobbin, it doesn't come easy... And I put it in the only way I can see to do it.

Well, will let you know how it works out :)
Agi

My blog
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

Am I right in thinking that the big loops underneath are of top thread?
RosemaryH

Post by RosemaryH »

Check that the pressure foot engages properly with the fabric. Sometimes they do not go down firmly and this would give loops.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
hada56

Post by hada56 »

benceagi wrote:.. and the lower thread by a small screw on the little round thing into which you put the bobbin. When I try pulling the thread from the lower bobbin, it doesn't come easy... And I put it in the only way I can see to do it.

Well, will let you know how it works out :)
Give that screw a tiny twist to loosen it, but just barely. Try to pull the thread and see if it's loose enough.
I learned to use my very basic sewing machine just by reading the manual, so I really don't know much. HTH!

and, yes, it's a matter of trial and error.
freelady

Post by freelady »

In the photo it looks to me like you have a bobbin on the top of the machine. My machine will not sew properly from a bobbin on top, the tension on a bobbin isn't the same.

Your bobbin can go in with the thread coming up from the right or left depending on which way it is facing you. Some machines want in one way or the other. Again, mine will only work one way. If the tread doesn't pull easily from the bobbin, you may not have the bobbin in it's holder correctly.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Freelady that is a good catch. I did not notice that the top thread was a bobbin. My machine will not work with a bobbin on top either. It just does not hold the thread properly. That could be part of the trouble. And yes the thread on the bobbin need turn in the proper direction for it to move smoothly.
agi

Post by agi »

Thank you both!
I showed my bobbin to a lady at choir who sews and she said the bobbin holder is too tight, but the screw to losen it is stuck... so I was right in that. And I will change the top thread... do you just put there the thread as it comes from the shop?

I have found a sewing machine service place very near me, i might pop in and ask if they would help me with setting it up and for how much - perhaps they will do it cheap. :x:
Agi

My blog