Sewing machine....

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Pinguxxx

Sewing machine....

Post by Pinguxxx »

Hi folks, I'm toying with the idea of getting a sewing machine. I totally can't sew by hand and have NEVER used a sewing machine :oops: I keep dismissing the idea thinking I'll never use it and therefore would be a waste of money but having spent last weekend making an outfit for my daughters dance show, I had to go to my mums begging for her help and her neighbour's who has a sewing machine I'm thinking I should do the deed and buy one. Daughter is only 3 so I'm guessing there's years ahead of having to make stuff for school etc!!!! And it prob will be a good investment.

I'm sure there are lots of you out there with said machines so I'm calling upon your advice of what I should be looking for in a machine, I'm obviously a beginner but I'm not wanting to buy something that is so basic I might possibly outgrow it in a few years. But also not something too complicated that I don't use it!!!! What are the 'must haves' in a machine, what size would suit etc etc.

All advice gratefully received :)

Thanks x
WIP
Winnie the Pooh afghan
Santa's Secret (Dimensions) tiny bit left but run out of thread :(
KISS cushion (Emily Peacock) - for my new extension (its now built so I need to get a shifty on)

Finished 2012
ABCs of Parenting L*K
Princess Sampler
Offe

Re: Sewing machine....

Post by Offe »

My advice is to not get a machine that has a lot of decorative stitches. You grow tired of them real quick and they just look so... home-machine-made.

Get one that is easy to thread, easy to fill the bottomthread spool and easy to do the settings for the different stitches etc.
Ruthi

Post by Ruthi »

In general the cheapie ones sold by the likes of Aldi and Lidl are not the easiest to use. I would say go to a sewing machine shop and buy a reconditioned one on their recommendation. With a bit of luck they will give you a basic lesson in how to use it too.

Forget decorative stitches, those are for a second, or even third machine. You need zig zag, and if you are ever going to make curtains then a hemstitch, which is a zig zag variation is quite useful. Even automatic buttonholes are really quite demanding and not a beginner's project.
freelady

Post by freelady »

I agree with what has already been said. A basic machine from a good brand that does straight, zigzag and backstitch is what you need for most of the things you will ever do. The bells as whistles on sewing machines are like those on other things we buy, good to look at but we don't use most of them in everyday life. And easy to thread and use is the other priority. I agree with going to a shop or department store and trying out a few to get a feel for them before buying one. (A good brand doesn't have to mean expensive.)
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

There is a quilt shop near me that has a pretty extensive sewing machine showroom. Even though I do not quilt or sew or anything, I stop in from time to time.
They have a machine rental program where you can take a machine home for a month and see if you like it. They also have times where they will sit with you and demo different machines.. sometimes the factory rep may be there but most often its just the shop ladies. I've always thought the rental program was a good way to use a machine in the way you normally would, in your own environment. It may be worth checking out if any of the stores in your area offer that.
Pinguxxx

Post by Pinguxxx »

Thank you all for your sound advice :D Think I will pop to a store and see what they say but what you've advised will be firmly at the front of my mind.
WIP
Winnie the Pooh afghan
KISS cushion (Emily Peacock) - for my new extension (its now built so I need to get a shifty on)

Finished 2012
ABCs of Parenting L*K
Princess Sampler
Pinguxxx

Re: Sewing machine.... Update - Have seen an…

Post by Pinguxxx »

UPDATE - I have seen an old Singer for sale in working order, and I mean an old one (black with the wheel you turn on the end). I really like these aesthetically and thought even if I didn't sew on it I would display it but that's not what I was originally intending for a sewing machine :oops: Has anyone got one of these? Would a novice sewer be able to use it or would I be better going for a newer model? The asking price is £48.
WIP
Winnie the Pooh afghan

Finished 2012
ABCs of Parenting L*K
Princess Sampler
RosemaryH

Re: Sewing machine.... Update - Have seen an…

Post by RosemaryH »

Pinguxxx wrote:UPDATE - I have seen an old Singer for sale in working order, and I mean an old one (black with the wheel you turn on the end). I really like these aesthetically and thought even if I didn't sew on it I would display it but that's not what I was originally intending for a sewing machine :oops: Has anyone got one of these? Would a novice sewer be able to use it or would I be better going for a newer model? The asking price is £48.
The old singer sewing machines were built to last so you probably would not go wrong with it. They are very straightforward to use so a novice should not have any problems. Compare the price with a modern one from somewhere like Argos and evaluate whether you think that the difference would be worth paying.

By the way I bought the most up to date, bells and whistles machine at a sewing fair about 30 years ago and it is still going very, very well. However, as others have said the bells and whistles lose their novelty very quickly. Whilst I have make tons of stuff using it I have not used the extra effects to any great degree.

Rosemary
I’m part of the Transworld Book Group!’
Ketta

Post by Ketta »

I do love those old machines!

However, I did want to add my comments in hopes it would help you make a decision.

For a first machine, I would recommend a new or refurbished basic machine, just because they tend to come with warranty, manuals, etc. If you lived in the US, I could suggest a couple of really fabulous places I've purchased machines from, but what it comes down to is, as a beginner, it's always good to have a warranty and instructions to fall back on. For my 'basic' sewing machine, I just have a Singer... and while some poo poo on the Singer brand, I've never had an issue with them, old or new. Not saying they're perfect, but as an intermediate sewer, having one for your basic functions is just fine.

No matter what you end up getting, I also recommend a beginner sewing class. Most not only teach you how to do basic stitches, but how to clean and oil your machine, how to troubleshoot problems, setting tensions for different sewing, etc. You will really take a lot away from one of these classes!

Best of luck :)
Blog: http://ketta-ketta.blogspot.com/" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=12786" target="_blank" target="_blank (bug)

http://www.crossstitchforum.com/viewtop ... =6&t=13419" target="_blank (Serenity)
caitief

Post by caitief »

Another suggestion when looking: if money is an issue, I know there are places (usually the same places you can take classes) where you can put one on lay-away and pay over time on any machine, including refurbished. It is a great way to make it reasonable!
WIP:

Mickey and Minnie holding hands
Alphabet
Starry Night w/Tardis

To start

A dalmatian
Parents dog
Minnie Thumper Dumbo

http://pinterest.com/caitiefl/charts-i-want-to-stitch/
hada56

Post by hada56 »

I agree with what you said, about going to look in the shops, and having someone do a demonstration for you on a model you could be interested in. Don't let them try to convince you into something you don't want. I, myself, have a rather basic straight and zig-zag stitch Brother sewing machine, although brands differ in quality and price in other countries. When you do decide on a model and brand, be certain to get any guaranties, or whatever they're called, on your machine and make sure there is some sort of free, or low priced, "getting to know yur sewing machine" lessons or course included.
Good luck!