Maggies Hardanger Projects

Please feel free to join in on our SAL

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde

MaggieM1750

Maggies Hardanger Projects

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Heres my first attempt at hardanger.
I am taking a class at my stitch shop. Kloster blocks was the first lesson, the stars and border were our second lesson. After I got all the way around with the kloster blocks- I found that I was ONE STITCH OFF and needed to rip out about half way around.. uggghh. Thats when I decided to draw lines all over the place.

Last edited by MaggieM1750 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
karen4bells

Re: Maggies Hardanger

Post by karen4bells »

Wow!!!! Beautiful work already Maggie. This is going to look fantastic!! So sorry mr :anotherfrog: visited you but it looks like you are doing great with it now!! :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Looks very good :applesauce: And how lucky you have a class near you. I almost thought I did and then discovered they only do needlepoint. I have one more place to check out after the holidays, I think. so in the meantime I am looking forward to seeing the other things you learn. I guess mr :anotherfrog: is always lurking somewhere. I'm glad you found a way to avoid him in the future.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

Looks really good Maggie - I feel for you with the :anotherfrog: I hate that panic and horrible cold sinking feeling you get when you realise you are a stitch out :doh: .
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Rose

Post by Rose »

Wow that looks super!!!!!!!! :applesauce: :applesauce:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

looks nice, mags !

so glad you have a class nearby. you are so lucky...
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

For some reason I can't see the pic, but I hope you're enjoying the process!
Carole

Post by Carole »

It's looking great. Shame about that pesky :anotherfrog: though.

I always stitch a T at the very top of the fabric now after a wee mishap a few projects ago :oops:
Current WIPs
Precious Dreams
Crazy cat lady
Previous WIPs
Previous WIPs

Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Shame on Mr :ribbit: for coming to visit you! But the reworked piece looks great, and how wonderful to have a course near you!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Great start!!! :applesauce:
Faith
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

*(@^&$#&*(!()_!$#&^$%Q@#=)!

So tonights hardanger class was not really class. Instructor was there but just to help us with any areas if we were stuck. And stuck I was.. trying to figure out how to start and finish a thread when doing the outside blanket stitch.. It is a visual I cannot wrap my brain around- even after trying 3-4 times tonight. So it was good she plans on a "free week" for helping us get unstuck- I certainly needed it.

This story however has nothing to do with hardanger. It starts back in the summer when I submitted my AAN Christmas Cardinal Ball cross stitch project to our State Fair.
Last week my instructor said that she works with the Fair. The ladies at my shop knew I submitted a piece and had seen it while I was still working on it but I hadn't brought in in all finished and framed.
So this week, I brought it to class with me. I gave the piece to one of the shop ladies. She commented on the framing.. how it was a nice choice for the piece (they know the framer- the stores are about 4 blocks from eachother) That was one of the areas where I was marked down points.. and the critique I have never agreed with nor understood. It was my framers suggestion to go with green frame. Its a Christmas design- green frame, red fabric, white thread.. it sort of makes sense. Well, in looking at the score sheet.. shop ladies recognze that its my instructors handwriting.. she was my judge!
So I ask her for more clarification.. what exactly was distracting about the frame? She had no answer.. sort of hemmed and hawed.. ahhh well geee.. I see so many in those 3-4 days.. I'm really not sure. WHAT?? I get it that shes seen a bunch in a short time.. and obviously shes not going to remember every single project she judges.. but she should at least be able to explain what is distracting about the frame. Should it have been white? Should it have been silver to match the beaded insert? We tried those options and they didn't look right. I thought she should have been able to defend her position.. and explain it. (I promise.. I wasn't aggressive or acusatory.. promise promise promise)
She also said my tension wasn't consistant.. and I tried to get her to explain that better. She sort of pointed some spots out.. but didn't give me any tips about how to keep tension more even.
I got a 2nd place on the project.. which I am still absolutely thrilled about. I didn't deserve a 1st place finish.. I noticed some big things that were wrong with it after I got it back from the framer. And I said before I brought my things in that I was doing it for the evaluation by someone that knew stitching. But come on.. never in a million years would I think that my teacher was the one that judged my piece. And then to not be able to explain the reasoning behind her comments... grrrr.
Lenne

Post by Lenne »

Blimey Maggie like they say it's a small world isn't it? Surely, being an instructor, she should've suggested how to keep tension consistent at least it's just something that would come naturally to a teacher isn't it; critique then advice on how to improve? I admit I feel your frustration because I would be pretty miffed too in your place.

PS green frame sounds perfect to me for a Christmas project ;)
WIP:
Talyn the kitten
The Great Escape by Abi Gurden
Pink AKA "Project Confetti Nightmare"

My blog: http://crossstitchnutter.blogspot.com/
Mabel Figworthy

Very frustrating, and also very unexpected -- even if she couldn't quite remember why she wrote exactly what she did back then (excusable if she's seen a lot of pieces since then), she should be able to look at it now and refresh her memory. And as a teacher she should definitely be able to give you constructive feedback with advice on how to improve what wasn't perfect. Because if she can't tell you how to do it well, or improve on what you did, it almost suggests that there is no way of "doing it right" and it's luck of the draw! Hope she'll have another think about it and give you more and better feedback next time.
And good luck with the blanket stitch!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
mags

Post by mags »

This is why I would never ever ever ever put my work up for judging. Having seen some of the comments written against work submitted in very local village shows - I have often thought who are these people and how dare they say that and what do they know and how are they qualified to judge in such a way. It is a shame because it probably puts a lot of people off :thinks:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

that is very frustrating, I am sure and also very surprising. Not so much that she couldn't exactly remember the piece, but that she couldn't now look at it and give you some constructive criticism and tell you how to improve, whether it was in the tension she mentioned or why the frame should have been different (sounds like it was perfect for Christmas) etc etc. My goodness, she is a teacher after all. Maybe on looking at it now she didn't see the same things but was embarassed to say so.
Good luck with your stitches. I know you will figure it out eventually and have some fantastically lovely pieces for us to enjoy.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Buttonhole edging can be fiddly. Let me see if I can explain. Firstly, open up this URL in a separate window and scroll down to the bit about buttonhole edging: http://www.needlework-tips-and-techniqu ... ttern.html" target="_blank

Now. This is what you do in words (mostly Mary Hickmott's words, to be precise): when your thread is getting short and you need to change to a new thread, stop at the stage of the stitch when you've just come through the loop. Set this thread to one side on the needle.

Thread a second needle with a new length of thread, fastening it behind the existing stitches. Begin your blanket stitch as if you were totally starting again, coming up in the hole right next to the one your old thread is currently occupying.

Do a couple of stitches, bearing in mind that, at the moment, you have a stitch "missing".

After a couple of stitches (mostly to get the new thread out of the way!), go back to your old thread (and needle). Take your thread down through the "loop" of the starting stitch of the new thread and take it down the four threads to line up with the rest of the stitches. (This is F-G on the diagram).

It should all look neat and tidy.

Fasten it off behind, and carry on with the new thread.
Mabel Figworthy

Yes, that's what I do to, but that's a really clear explanation Serinde, thanks!
WIPs
Waiting

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

First off.. thanks Serinde.. With that link and my project in front of me- I FINALLY got the hang of starting and finishing thread for the button hole edging.

Here's my piece by the end of class. Its not finished. I am not sure if I will finish it. I'm bored of eyelets for now. Second level class starts the last week of January. So I'll get a little break- then its back to kloster blocks and eyelets.

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am impressed if that is level 1. It is really lovely. There is an elegance about the Hardangers that I enjoy seeing. One day I will set aside the time to practice what I have.

Carole
:D
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

Your work looks absolutely lovely. Well Done! :applesauce: :applesauce:
I'm sorry what happened with your instructor. It sounds as though she was taken off guard -- suddenly having to face the owner of a work she had critiqued. But, I agree she handled it very badly. I hope this hasn't made things uncomfortable for you at the class.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim