Linen Vs. Aida

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Heather

Linen Vs. Aida

Post by Heather »

Hi everyone!

I am gathering stash for my next couple of HAEDs. I have never worked with anything but aida cloth that comes in kits before, up to 18 ct.

I would really like to try a 25 count fabric for my next cross stitch project, and found the 25-count dublin linen on 123stitch to seem like a perfect match (fabric count and size..and price!). My local Michael's doesn't carry any fabric so I can't go and touch/feel/see it in person. And the photos on 123 stitch are a bit hard to see properly...

Are the squares on linen really obvious, like aida? If that makes any sense, lol. Will I find it difficult to use the holes/squares on linen or is it just like much smaller aida?
WIP:
Universe In A Jar (HAED) 07/08/12
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
Serinde

Re: Linen Vs. Aida

Post by Serinde »

Aida and linen are like lions and tigers: both cats, but not at all the same. :king:

I've used Aida, linen and other sorts of evenweave fabrics. At the moment I'm using 25ct Dublin linen for my HAED, but it's not for the faint-hearted. Linen has a mind of its own, although I'm enjoying using it. You will be stitching over 1 thread for an HAED on linen. I use a magnifier!

Lots of people use lugana 25ct for HAED. It also happens to be my favourite fabric in the world, but that's by-the-by. The holes are, I think, very clear even at this high count. the threads are also all the same size -- no thick ones or thin ones -- and no slubs, of course. You might want to have a look at that fabric while you are still choosing.
Heather

Post by Heather »

Just had a look at the 25 ct lugana on 123 stitch... it looks a LOT better! Thanks :D
WIP:
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

What Serinde said! If you've never worked with anything but aida before have a look at Lugana first - the threads are even and the holes are easy to see. I'm planning on using 25ct Lugana for my next HAED start, having used Brittney (the 28ct equivalent) and being very happy with it. Linen is gorgeous to work with and I love it, but it may take some time to get used to the holes being irregular due to the different thickness of the threads that make up the fabric. Once you've got the hang of stitching over 1 on 25ct, moving on to linen will not seem like such a big jump.
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

I actually quit working on a piece I had started on 25 ct Dublin. I hated it. The natural slub of linen made it look as though I skipped stitches. And the loose weave of it made my stitches look wonky and the unstitched areas were pulled too much- and loosening my tension didn't help. Switched it out just last night with a piece of 28ct Laguna.

And this is the reason I had suggested you make a trip over to Gittas. Their fabric may be priced a bit higher than online shops- but you can see it for yourself and compare the two types. (or maybe its not more expensive- it's been 2 years since I was there) Even if it is- you'll save money in the end because your not buying the wrong thing.
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Definitely what everyone else has said. I certainly wouldn't dive in and stitch a HAED for a first attempt on linen. Evenweave is really nice to work with and a great introduction to the smaller counts. It's not really all that different from aida, just smaller and you have to watch tension so you don't pull the thread under the weave of the fabric. Linen though can be really tricky in its unevennessn - though very pretty in its outcome.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Heather

Post by Heather »

Thanks everyone. Can you still do 2 over 1 on this count easily?

Gittas is a bit far from me but you can never have enough excuses to go to Port Credit now, can you! I think it would be wise for me to go visit them and get my fabric there... I think I've got at least another month or two on my current HAED so I will have plenty of time to get there... I've never been, I'm sure I will be in heaven... thanks for the shop recommendation! :D

Edited: OMG! This store is right next to the pet store. My boyfriend is always in there buying crickets and whatnot and this entire time I've always just sat in the car like a slug when I could have been frolicking in this magical thread and fabric wonderland!
WIP:
Finishes:
Sunflower Bee (HAED)
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

Heather wrote:Thanks everyone. Can you still do 2 over 1 on this count easily?
Depends on your preference - I do 1 over 1 or 2 over 1 tent stitch on 25ct as that looks best for my stitching, others choose 2 over 1. Everyone is different which is why test stitching is always good as it is what works best for you that counts!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
JazzeyBear

Post by JazzeyBear »

I tried 2 over 1 on the 25 ct, and found it to be too bulky and looked funny to me, I tried the 1 over 1 and like the look of it a lot better than the 2 over 1. It's harde to start and end thread with the 1 over 1, but I worked that out as well. I start in the front about ten stitches down and I don't pull all the way through so when I get to where I started its been stitched over and I can just pull the tail through to the back and cut it off. Ending is done the same way.
An Angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth. And whispered as she closed the book "too beautiful for earth."

2013 Big WIPs
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED 2013 SAL Heather
Blessings
HAED Libra
Forest Chapel
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I am finding that I really like the 1 over 1 on the 22 ct and that surprised me. good coverage also as I have found the right tension. I think when I get back to my 25 ct that is 2 over 1 it is going to really feel tight.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker