Dimensions kit stitch question

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

vtwin

Dimensions kit stitch question

Post by vtwin »

I am currently working on a dimensions petite gold kit. The kit uses half stitches for the background and full stitches for the foreground. The question is which direction should the top thread of the full X stitches go?

The direction of my half stitches are like /

When doing a full stitch for the foreground which which direction should the top stitch go? Should the bottom of the full x be the same direction as my half stitches like this / and the top of the completed full x stitch go in this direction \

Or should the bottom of the full x stitch go like this \ and the top of the completed x be like this /

Or does it not matter?

I hope this makes sense

Thanks in advance....
Angel

Re: Dimensions kit stitch question

Post by Angel »

It's all personal preference and my personal preference is for all my stitches to lie / when finished, so the top of my full stitches and my half stitches both go in the same direction ^_^ But I know others do it the other way so the bottom of their full stitch and their half stitch go the same direction.
Secopz

Post by Secopz »

I do it bottom /, top \.
WIP
HAED Faces of Faery 93 4/6 pages done
HAED Mini Draconis Lepus Leo
Lots of non HAEDs
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

It really doesn't matter. I've done a couple Dimension kits (have 2 on the go now), and I've gotten into the habit of having my half stitch the same direction as the bottom of my full stitch. It's just personal preference--I think it gives it more dimension instead of fading into the full stitches (especially when they are done with 3-5 strands).

My suggestion would be to try both ways on a scrap piece to see which way you prefer.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I agree completely that it is a matter of personal preference. My bottom stitch is / and my top stitch is \. Unless it is clearly marked on the chart as to which direction a 1/2 stitch should go I usually make mine /. Don't know why other than I started doing it that way and have continued to do so.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

I did a Maia kit for my bedroom and the half stitches went in the same direction as the bottom stitch of my full cross
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Solitaire wrote:I did a Maia kit for my bedroom and the half stitches went in the same direction as the bottom stitch of my full cross
That's usually how I do mine as well! :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Pinguxxx

Post by Pinguxxx »

I do all mine so the finished stich always lies the same way which is /.

I did Dimensions Santa's Secret and that had half stitches too. Not sure how well you can see the stitches but I've a SAL for it if u want to have a look?
WIP
Winnie the Pooh afghan
Santa's Secret (Dimensions) tiny bit left but run out of thread :(
KISS cushion (Emily Peacock) - for my new extension (its now built so I need to get a shifty on)

Finished 2012
ABCs of Parenting L*K
Princess Sampler
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

i've seen finished projects done both ways, and they each looked fine.

one way the half stitches stood out more (even for a background) when they went opposite to the full crosses.

the other way, they blended in better and looked more connected to the full crosses as the stitches all went the same way...

i liked them both. i've done them both. depended on the project...

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

I've done both depending on the flow of the piece.

For instance when the background is soft and gentle I generally work in the same direction with the top of the cross but if it's stark and asking to be contrasted I do opposite.
Myst..
Wildflower

Post by Wildflower »

I am currently working on a Dimensions Gold kit, too. Christmas stockings. I'm doing the half stitches like this / but my full crosses end the other way like this \. Because the majority of the half stitches are the background and clumps of snow, I think it gives the finished piece a little more depth and contrast.

I've also done them facing the same way on other patterns. Have been very happy with both methods.
Carolyn