Couples who stitch together....

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

KateThePlate

Couples who stitch together....

Post by KateThePlate »

Hi, I'm Kate and I have been a stitchaholic for the past 6 years. I first started at age 19 then gave up for a few years (life took over) but now I am in a settled and quiet place in my life where I have 24 hours of free time per day! lol I have started up again in the past couple of months, and so far have only completed smaller peices, the largest being about 8 by 4 inches, but I am quite quick at it and I have stitched lots of teeny weenies.

On the first day I restarted, my partner decided he wanted to try, so from that moment on he was hooked too! We stitch together every day, sometimes a marathon, sometimes half an hour here or there. I have a long term medical problem which prevents me from working, and we are trying for a baby, although I keep being told by docs that I'm TOO FAT....

Anyhow, I live in the North of England, and have 3 cats and a dog. I have built up a small stash, but on a limited budget I am struggling to expand that, and we aren't in contact with any family or friends so have no one to show our finished peices to, so they all end up in frames around the house. Any ideas as to how else I can utilise them? PS Don't have a sewing machine yet.

Ok, thanks for listening to my life story, and hopefully I can meet some like-minded people and get some advice and tips etc.

Happy sewing for now..... xxx
Elephant's never forget!

I'd rather eat chocolate every day for the rest of my life, and only live another 10 years, than never eat it again and live forever. xx
Squirrel

Re: Couples who stitch together....

Post by Squirrel »

Hi Kate and Welcome from Brisbane Australia. Great to have you along.

I think we are all stitchaholics on here so you are in good company. Sadly the stitchy bug has been known to take a holiday too sometimes - darn it but he always comes back.

How wonderful that your partner has taken up stitching too and I am sure you have a lot of fun together. Sorry to hear you have a medical problem though and hope it doesn't interfere too much with your stitching.

Sally
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Hi Kate and welcome to the forum from South Carolina. I imagine it must be nice to have your partner stitching too. We are very much stitch addicted here also and will be glad to encourage and enable you along. We love to see pictures if you have any of your work so we are always glad to see what you have done and what you are working on. You can show your partner's work also. I hope that you can get your medical issues dealt with, but in the meantime stitching can be a great pastime.

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Sandycheeks

Post by Sandycheeks »

Hello and welcome. That is so great that you have someone to stitch with. My husband tried about 20 yrs ago. I think he did a whole 10 stitches and lost interest. Just wasn't meant to be. He has other interests.
African Grey
Meg's Geisha Girl
Chrissyml

Post by Chrissyml »

Hi Kate. Greetings from Vancouver, Canada. :)
Misty

Post by Misty »

Kate, how lucky you are to have a stitching partner! I don't think it ever occurred to my husband that he could join me. Although to be fair, I never invited him to:) I'm sorry you have no one there to show off your work to. I can't wait to see what you've accomplished!

Misty
Misty

WIP: A Treasured Time
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You are lucky that your partner likes stitching too. My DH won't go near a needle and thread. :lol:
Completed 2017: Anniversary Sampler by The Sweetheart Tree

Love comforteth like sunshine after rain. Shakespeare
KateThePlate

Post by KateThePlate »

Thanks so much to those of you who replied (and took the time to read the essay) lol. Well I get severe pelvic pain which means I spend alot of time in bed or led on the sofa, but stitching requires little movements so I find it very therapeutic. I will certainly post pics when I have completed a few more things, at the mo they're so small I'd feel embarrassed!
Elephant's never forget!

I'd rather eat chocolate every day for the rest of my life, and only live another 10 years, than never eat it again and live forever. xx
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

Hello and welcome to the forum Kate. It's always so nice to have new members here and I'm glad to hear that your love of stitching is therapeutic for you!!
As for your stitching, we love love love to see pictures of completed projects--from tiny ones on up. Please please please post pictures of your works, we love to share here!! :)
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

Never feel embarressed to post a picture no matter how small it is. We have all sizes of projects and WIPs posted and love to look at and encourage everyone. I'm sorry that you have to deal with severe pain, but I'm glad that you are able to stitch and find it therepeutic.

Carole
:wub:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

:wave: A warm welcome to the forum, Kate. It's lovely to have you on board.
Don't be embarrassed to show your work. You'll find we encourage everyone to post pictures of their projects -- small or big. All of it is equally admired!
I'm sorry you have so much discomfort, but I'm glad you find the stitching helps.
:applesauce: :applesauce: to your partner for joining you! I asked my hubby whether he would like to do cross stitch. The Incredulous look I got was priceless. He does know how to sew though, and can use a sewing machine, but doing it for fun is just not on his radar.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
pattiebelle

Post by pattiebelle »

welcome from southern california 8)

:wub:
pattiebelle

"Gratitude is memory of the heart" (Jean-Baptiste Massieu)
Emma1977

Post by Emma1977 »

:wave: from London :D Welcome to the forum and have to say that I'm another one who is envious of your stitching partner. My DH has no time whatsoever for x-stitch to the point he has implicitly told me that I am NEVER to make him anything :roll:

And do share your pics. We stitch all manner of projects on here and love to share our work no matter what shape, size or theme :wink:
Finished
Fantasy Flitterflies
Ruby Wedding Sampler
Vervaco: To have and to Hold wedding sampler
"Gift from God" birth sampler
Vervaco Wedding Bouquet

W.I.P
Cinderella, Joan Elliott
Swan Fidelity
Galaxy
Dimension - Baby Express
Forever the Flagship
coffee_freak

Post by coffee_freak »

hello and welcome! So cool your mate stitches with you..mine wouldn't even think of it..thought my daughter, now a teenager, would keep up as she showed an interest years ago..nope..but now my 6yo son is beggin to learn. I think on my vaca during his spring break from school..I'll give him a stitching class lol..
If you get a comment of a :smile:,I must be holding my :coffee:
http://coffeecupcakescrossstitch.blogspot.com/
WIP:
Joan Elliot Spring Fairy
Cupcakes
Snuggle Up
2012 HD's
Bohemia
Fairy Friend
Athalie

Post by Athalie »

Welcome from Newcastle in Australia, Kate. It must be lovely to have someone sit and stitch with you in the evenings. I taught my three grandsons to stitch but only the youngest who is now almost 16 still shows any interest. Mind you they all like to keep up with what I am stitching and never say no when I offer to stitch something for each of them
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

That's so cool! My DH refuses to stitch, says it would drive him crazy. He's not terribly patient. :) But he loves what I make, so that helps.

Nice to meet you from Vermont, USA!
Pinguxxx

Post by Pinguxxx »

Welcome to the forum :)

Please show us your stitching, we love to see it x
WIP
Winnie the Pooh afghan
Santa's Secret (Dimensions) tiny bit left but run out of thread :(
KISS cushion (Emily Peacock) - for my new extension (its now built so I need to get a shifty on)

Finished 2012
ABCs of Parenting L*K
Princess Sampler
Busy_B

Post by Busy_B »

Sorry I didn't welcome you earlier! It's been a little crazy lately, but I wanted to chime in. My DH started stitching 3-4 years ago. We were in joann's looking at the reduced price kits, and he found a couple he liked, my son found one he liked, and my daughter found 2 small ones she liked. Well, I already had a good sized to do pile, so I jokingly mentioned that he might have to help me stitch them. He actually said he would. He finished one of Ariel's head for our daughter's birthday that year, and he's been working on a bigger horses project for our son for a couple of years. I hate the nights that he choose to sit and stitch and I have a million things to do so I can't.
WIPs: There Be Dragons, Feed My Sheep, Canyon Flight HAED, Lotus Flowers HAED, Christmas Cove
KateThePlate

Post by KateThePlate »

Thanks everyone who replied, and welcomed me on board. Well I do feel lucky that he stitches with me, as I am yet to find many other stitching couples. I will upload pics of my finished projects soon, and once again thanks all who replied. I have a question though, to those whose DH's and OH's don't stitch, or don't pay any interest....

Would you like it if he did? Surely it would bring you closer together, as you have a shared hobby? Or do you like it that it's your own little thing? Just curious to know.... xxx
Elephant's never forget!

Emma1977

Post by Emma1977 »

Would be great if he did stitch as well but as I know that will NEVER happen I would settle for him liking x-stitch. He makes positive comments on my work but isn't interested in the slightest in what I'm working on. He has also made it clear that he wouldn't ever want me to make anything for him :(

And I suppose I do like having something that is purely mine as it gives me a certain standing within the family as no-one else does x-stitch on my DH's side so people do ask me to make things for them which is great.
Finished
Fantasy Flitterflies
Ruby Wedding Sampler
Vervaco: To have and to Hold wedding sampler
"Gift from God" birth sampler
Vervaco Wedding Bouquet

W.I.P
Cinderella, Joan Elliott
Swan Fidelity
Galaxy
Dimension - Baby Express
Forever the Flagship