Cross stitch forum facebook group

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

mags

Re: Cross stitch forum facebook group

Post by mags »

Thanks Chris, that seems a very good all round solution to the problem. My concern was that any not-nice activity on facebook would reflect on our lovely forum here. I personally would have no problem with the facebook group being closed.

Many thanks :applesauce: :wub:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
mags

Post by mags »

.... but, having looked, does this mean that what we say here may appear on the facebook page :shock:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

Mabel Figworthy wrote:
lucyanna118, don't feel discouraged -- I'm sure your willingness to put effort and time into a "proper" CSF FB group is appreciated, but speaking for myself, I wouldn't say yes to it simply because I wouldn't use it. My ideal notion of a FB page would be something that is only live when the forum is down, and tells us when the forum will be back up again :-). Otherwise, I'm just happy to be here, and even keeping up with everything that happens here is often too much for the limited time I have! So no reflection on your enthusiasm and effort, just that it is not something I feel I need or would use.
Mabel Figworthy wrote::hug:

hope the hug will find you even though you've unsubscribed -- please don't feel bad about it! people are reacting to FB, not you!

I would like to echo what Mabel has said, lucyanna118. Please don't feel it was a personal attack on you. No one meant that at all. :hug: :hug: I too hope you will find my hug.
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Lenne

Post by Lenne »

mags wrote:Thanks Chris, that seems a very good all round solution to the problem. My concern was that any not-nice activity on facebook would reflect on our lovely forum here. I personally would have no problem with the facebook group being closed.

Many thanks :applesauce: :wub:
Agreed, on all counts.
WIP:
Talyn the kitten
The Great Escape by Abi Gurden
Pink AKA "Project Confetti Nightmare"

My blog: http://crossstitchnutter.blogspot.com/
lucyanna118

Post by lucyanna118 »

Thanks for the lovely posts and PM's.....honestly, though, that was so last week :lol:

I'm fine.....quietly getting on with my stitching! I'm part of a lovely group on FB already and I'm happy to remain here as well......I also post page finishes on my FB page as I like my J to see all the hard work I'm putting into his Wolf before I send it 4000 miles away to him :cry:

After 11 years in the military I'm made of stronger stuff than to get upset to much....I truly value FB because of that reason as well.....without it I probably wouldn't have been able to stay in touch with all the people I've met over the years! If other people don't like FB....that is truly up to them :)

Thanks xx

WIP's for 2012
Edward Cullen picture stitch (Done with love in every stitch-lol)
The Spirit of the Wolf
Planned
Biscornu
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Chris, thanks for the information about how the group worked back then, works now, and what might be the next step. I would value having somewhere to check in case the forum is down, and so will bookmark the Facebook page, but I feel that your point about closing down the group is probably a very wise one.
However, I realise I can't really comment because as I never go there it would not affect me.

One thing though, if I may echo mags' slight worry -- do you/we have any control over what gets included in the Facebook page? Because this is such a safe and friendly environment I write things here that I would not necessarily like to appear on Facebook!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
zookx

Post by zookx »

So far so good then from the sounds of it.

The title and then the first line or so of posts made may indeed appear on the facebook page, yes. For those who don't have facebook it looks like this;

I know and understand 'privacy' is the first thought of a lot of people when they hear the word facebook but all the groups posts are as equally available via Google or any other search engine so this isn't really any new ground - I should add nothing will be linked to you or your account personally on Facebook either its just away of connecting the Page to the forum really.

I'll check in after the weekend to see what the feedback and the overall thoughts are.

Thank you.
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

I can't say I'm overly comfortable with it appearing on Facebook, but I don't use it and have a general distrust of it anyway. Having said that, you only have to google a subject key word and a post can come up from Crossstitchforum or any other source for any one to read on the internet. So, even here, we are not protected from the internet in general. That's why it's so important for us not to give out any personal information on here. Best to leave that to PM's.
This forum has such a comfortable homey feel about it, that we are lured into a false sense of security!
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Lenne

Post by Lenne »

Blimey, My Facebook feed is now officially full of cross stitch forum replies lol! Yup, looks like everything is going to be on there that is written here.
WIP:
Talyn the kitten

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I clicked on the link to the new page, but all it did was sign me in to my own (boring) page. how do I get to it so I can bookmark it? so I can get there if I need to, plus I'm curious. :roll:

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Lenne

Post by Lenne »

WIP:
Talyn the kitten

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

no. I clicked on the link that was in Zookx's post. which is a little different than this one. Can I just bookmark it like any other bookmark? not that I plan to go (I needed to doublecheck my FB password since I use it so little. or add it as a link from my own page?

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Lenne

Post by Lenne »

Not sure to be honest- could give it a go and if it doesn't work can do a search option on forum for the link? I am not entirely sure how to work Facebook 90% of the time :oops:
WIP:
Talyn the kitten

rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I did bookmark it and it seems to go straight there, at least if I'm logged in to FB. Didn't try it since I logged out. And yes, I do have a false sense of security in a way, about this not being open to the world, though often if I am googling something related to cross stitching or a question, I sometimes get my own post listed too. And we have so many people who stop by and are visitors that it is very important to remember to pm personal information. Still, I do like the idea of a backup for those times that we need it.
If there was a way of disconnecting the other group from our forum, that would be good and something that Chris and Alex don't have to deal with at all. but then I know very very little about FB. Thank you guys for doing this.

Carole
:wub:

EDA: I logged out of FB and clicked on my bookmark and it takes me straight to that page. so anyone, FB signed up or not should be able to reach it and see what is going on.
WIPs
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
KateThePlate

Post by KateThePlate »

OctoberLace wrote:Lenne, I dropped the Cross Stitch Forum Facebook Group for the same reasons you mentioned. Links to sites with blatently pirated charts were being posted, and my e-mails to the Admin team regarding this got no response. I don't participate in any group that allows copyright violations, so I left. Theresa

Good on you Theresa, it's a shame more peeps don't think on their feet like us. If no one bought them off ebay or used the copyrighted images then there wouldn't be supply. It's a sham. xx
Elephant's never forget!

I'd rather eat chocolate every day for the rest of my life, and only live another 10 years, than never eat it again and live forever. xx
KateThePlate

Post by KateThePlate »

mechie wrote:I don't do facebook either. I don't like the format and I don't much care for their (ever changing) policies. I'll stick to the old fashioned ways of communicating, thank you very much. :D

mechie

Hear Hear! Or is it here here? lol.

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned talking? Saying that, we do all talk on a forum. xx

It changes the format/layout/policies too much. I used to be a fb addict for about 3 months, but since I no longer am in contact with any friends or family (just me and OH, 2 dogs and 3 cats now) I have no one to talk to on there, I have no desire to check what people I don't know are doing.

Let's stick to what we love! XS Forum! Yay! xx
Elephant's never forget!

I'd rather eat chocolate every day for the rest of my life, and only live another 10 years, than never eat it again and live forever. xx