framing/mounting question

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

AmandaNC

framing/mounting question

Post by AmandaNC »

I finished the project I was working on for my brother's Christmas present. Now I am trying to find a frame that will match it well but I was wondering if there are any hints that you may have that will help me to do it myself instead of haivng to pay to have it done.

What kind of adhesive is good to use? Tape? any info will be appreciated.

I will post a pic of my finished project as soon as I locate the darn cord that goes to my camera!
:!: UGH! :!:

Amanda
carolyn61

Re: framing/mounting question

Post by carolyn61 »

Sorry Amanda, I've never framed one of mine myself. Sounds terrible doesn't it? The ones I've given as gifts were either already framed or I had them matted just so the back would be covered and it would be a suitable gift (except for my sister's, I just gave it to her back and all) I couldn't wait. The very first stitch I did, I gave to my mother-in-law and she took it in and had it framed and a local frame shop where the she has taken photos and such for years. I just thought it was what you do. It's a family owned business. He's always been really good to me and helps me make choices that are affordable. I took only one to Michael's (craft store) but was dissatisfied with the results. But there's no reason why you couldn't do it yourself I'm sure. I'm positive this group will have excellent pointers for you. :D

By way of explanation, I've mostly only done L&L angels and brides so they were bigger projects and not easily fit into a store bought frame.
Last edited by carolyn61 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolyn
Rose

Post by Rose »

If I am going to tackle the job myself or not the first thing I do is wash and iron the piece.

Then I take the piece with me to the store so I can see how the colors are going to match up. Some times I will us a mat and some time just the frame is the best way to go. I then come home wash frame inside and out and let it dry. Put the frame back together put the mat in (if there is one) place the piece in the center of the cardboard that usually comes with the frame and make sure it is straight. I then lay the frame over it to make sure all of the stitching shows. I turn all of the pieces over together and press into the frame. I then put the back into the frame and secure with the locks I will some times add extra locks so that the piece stay in place. (You can buy them at most places that sell frames.) I don't like to stretch my fabric, that is just me, so I don't use stitching on teh back but I do know some people do. I never us tape or any other adhesive as I have found that over the years they can yellow adn stain the fabric.

That is how I do it. :?
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Becca

Post by Becca »

With mine i bought the frames, washed and ironed the cross stitch, then put it on the backing board which came with the frame, wrapping the sides round the back of the board and attached them with masking tape. This held it in place really well and you can unstick and stick it again if you want to adjust the tension.
Click the banner above to visit us at Crafts 'n' Creatures!

And my blog which is full of all my stitching
lacemaker2004

Post by lacemaker2004 »

I attempted a frame job myself three times and decided I'd rather pay to have it done. I ended up having two of them done anyway and the third one is in florida so I would have to ask my Mom how it is holding up.

The one thing that I did do though, on a piece I made my Dad, was to buy an unfinished frame and had a friend cut it down to the right size for me. I then painted it to match the piece. The piece said corvette and I painted the frame a glossy black and added road strips in a yellow to match the stitching. It came out (after having it professionally framed) really cute.
WIP:
Mirabilia Christmas Elegance
Keeshond
Tropical Heart
nettie

Post by nettie »

My mum has framed her own she laced/stretched hers as she felt it was a better result than just putting it in flat. She always takes the piece with her to choose a border and frame it helps you to match it up and get the size right.
AmandaNC

Post by AmandaNC »

Thanks for all your ideas!
I have been at work for the last few days and am just getting time to check in.
I still have not found that blessed cord that I need to up load my pics to my computer.
UGH!!!
Amanda
Rose

Post by Rose »

Amanda it will turn up when you aren't looking for it. That is what happens to me all the time.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror