Does your partner find it relaxing when you stitch?

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

BizzieLizzie

Does your partner find it relaxing when you stitch?

Post by BizzieLizzie »

Hubby happened to mention yesterday that he likes it when I'm stitching because it makes him feel relaxed. It got me wondering if other people's partners find it relaxing when they stitch or whether some partners feel irritated or even neglected by it? :thinks:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

wolfmom

Re: Does your partner find it relaxing when you stitch?

Post by wolfmom »

Hubby has never said, I'm sure he would let me know if it irritated him :) He finds stitching himself a little infuriating (but he's having another go) and he does love the finished product.
Tracey xx
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

:thinks: Good question! I think it irritates hubby more than relaxes him.. He likes to watch tv in the dark and make it feel like he's in a movie theater. My Day lamp is a buzz kill for the atmosphere he's trying to create :lol: And occasionally he closes my stitch bag I assume because it irritates him how much space I take up.
Faith
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

I'm usually happy when I'm stitching - so DH is all for that! He notices when I switch projects or if I'm using some different sort of materials and shows an appropriate amount of interest! Normally when I'm stitching in the evenings he is in the same room but on the PS3 - so we are both happy!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

I think my other half quite likes it when I stitch. He likes to go on his lap top or watch TV so we are both quite happy. Keeps me quiet! :lol:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Rose

Post by Rose »

My hubby enjoys coming over and looking at what I am doing and he is always impressed with the finished projects. Compliments them and asks who it is for. Appropriate things such as that. But I do you he shakes his head and rolls his eyes whenever he sees me :anotherfrog: . He asks why I don't just leave it and work around it, one stitch off can't be that big of a deal????So he enjoys my stitching but he has said it makes him crazy to see me picking out all of the work I have done when Mr :ribbit: makes a visit.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Right now, I live by myself and am not in a relationship. So there's no one around to be annoyed.. or relaxed.. by my stitching.
But in the past, a partner commented that he wanted to cuddle while watching TV/ movies and he couldn't do that if I was surrounded by needles. And he felt he couldn't disturb me once I got myself settled. He also wanted lights out when we were watching movies.
About a year ago, my sister (and as of 2 weeks ago.. my housemate) said she got tired of my "stuff" being out and felt she had to move my things out of the way just to put a glass on a table. It wasn't that bad but I'd have to admit she was right. I didn't really notice, but I did have bits of things all over the house. At the time, I didn't have a stitchy spot.. it was wherever I happened to be sitting. Upstairs, downstairs, on the sofa, or the big chair.. wherever I happened to sit for the night. After she said that- I made a determined effort to sit in one spot and to put my things away at the end of the night.
Aerona

Post by Aerona »

I live alone and am not in a relationship so I can do what I want, where, when, and how I want. :D That said, I sometimes annoy myself with how spread out my things are, and just how far the darn floss ends end up!

Regarding watching tv with the lights out, I would be asleep or in the other room doing something else in two minutes anyway as I can't watch tv or a movie without doing something else at the same time. Depending on what the partner wanted, that probably wouldnt work. I was one of those kids that hated tv and dreaded having to watch movies at school.
WIP:
HAED Mini Autumn Cat (18 ct Aida, 2x1 full cross)
HAED Mini Unleash the Butterflies (28 ct Monaco, 2x1 tent)
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

It gave me a start to read this post title, as DH remarked last night how he enjoys having a nice relaxing evening "with us stitching together" -- no, he doesn't stitch, and I don't think he meant it quite like that but yes he enjoy seeing me stitch and will have a look at what I'm doing and comment on it, suggesting things or sometimes asking why I do things a particular way, and generally taking an interest; but often he just sits and does things on his laptop or we're both watching something on telly and he'll just find it nice and relaxing to have me stitching away!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

I believe my dh does like it when I'm stitching....up to the point mean ol' Mr. :ribbit: shows up & I say something that shot through my mind (that I'd really NOT thought I was saying out loud)
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
Lizzieh

Post by Lizzieh »

My partner doesn't really like it. He likes the lights out when watching tv and in a funny way he wants to knoe my attention is focused on what we are watching so that we are 'together'. The few times I have tried seing he keeps saying "look at that" or "you missed that bit". So althgough he hasn't said it I can tell he is not so relaxed. My ex-husband was the opposite, he found me stitching really relaxing. Oh well, you can't have it all!
Liz

WIPIn rotation
Quick Stitch Tulips
Egyptian heart
Pretty pastels
Peek a boo

UFO
HAED storykeep

2014 finishes
Parent's garden
cristaltipps

Post by cristaltipps »

Well at least with my sewing hobby we sit in the same room not talking where as before I got back into it I used to sit at the computer and he would be reading in another part of the house ignoring one another mind you now he gets slightly irritated as I take up the whole 3 seater sofa and he and the kids have to share a 2 seater and a chair between them :D

Sam
YoungStitcher

Post by YoungStitcher »

My partner takes the mickey out of me saying I'm like an old granny Lol and then says she loves it because it keeps me quiet. But then she loves to read, so Its nice o have a quiet night with a bottle of wine, Her reading and me stitching.
Current WIP
Arise on the Wings of Your Dreams
Twilight Bridge
Nativity Scene

Finished Projects
Lily :whoop: Santa's Flight :whoop: Pirate Queen :whoop: Scotland Map
XandraS

Post by XandraS »

I think hubby finds it relaxing, apart from the odd misplaced needle. Usually I'll be stitching and he'll be on the Xbox or sketching or watching a film/telly
XandraS...
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

My DH loves me sitting and stitching.He uses my charts for inspiration,tells me what colours he thinks should be changed and how the design could be improved.oh did I mention he's a china painter,wood burner,leather worker,wood carver ,artist.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
JenEric

Post by JenEric »

Mrs Milkybar Kid wrote: He notices when I switch projects or if I'm using some different sort of materials and shows an appropriate amount of interest!
This struck a chord with me tonight - made me smile as this sums up my hubby quite well. :lol:
WIPS
HAED - Queen of Hearts
Spring Queen - making good progress

Finishes
Summer Queen
2013 and prior
Winter Queen, Royal Holiday Queen, Clock Fractal, Welcome Almanac, HAED Witching Hour
JA Fan

Post by JA Fan »

My DH is very laid back so he doesn't mind whether I stitch or not, but he does show a lot of interest in my stitching. He is very supportive, and even helps to choose projects occasionally.
In the evening, he is usually on the computer looking up things or tweaking his most recent astro-photo.
Of course, it works both ways. I, in my turn, will show interest in his hobby of amateur astronomy -- even if some of it goes over my head when he gets too technical! :roll:
WIP
Gold Collection Petite -- Cozy Cub
On hold:
HAED -- Bob Cratchit and Tiny Tim
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

Only recently started to stitch my own designs after a few years of designing but both husband and daughter are quite fascinated to see me stitch. I think they are amused :lol: . They are used to seeing me working on chart designs and give me loads of (welcome!) advice. Now they sometimes see me stitching: "Oh, is that what it looks like then?" Not sure if they are too keen on having big lights on while they watch TV though!
destructiveernie

Post by destructiveernie »

I don't know if he finds it relaxing but he knows I find it relaxing and if its keeps me sane then thats usually good enough for him!!!!

He likes me working on the afghan because I will at least sit next to him and half cwtch up on the sofa with him whilst I'm stitching.
Emma

WIP:
HAED Faery Tales
Tilton Crafts - MCM Olde Worlde Map
HAED QS Lady Bug
Ink Circles The Bramble and the Rose
HAED Sistine Chapel
HAED Butterfly Wood
HAED SAL Teddy Bear Tree
Lucy - Charted by Skitzzzz
tiffstitch

Post by tiffstitch »

My DH finds it relaxing because apparently I fidget to no end if I'm NOT stitching or knitting or something while we watch TV/movies. He definitely takes an interest in my work too, which is great.