New Years day is going to be a difficult day

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Tonystitcher

New Years day is going to be a difficult day

Post by Tonystitcher »

After smoking c40 a day I really want to give up smoking, I dont enjoy it. it makes me feel ill all the time but as I am 44 and been smoking since 16 its going to be real difficult. Has anyone actually given up? was it hard? what tips do you have?
Current WIP ,
Butterfly Cushion by Joan Elliot.

Two Mother's Day Cards.

Mother's Day Card Completed 1st March
Mothers Day Bookmark Completed 20th February
vanessanjf

Re: New Years day is going to be a difficult day

Post by vanessanjf »

I have never smoked so I am afraid I don't have any tips but good luck with it :x:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I smoked very heavily (2 packs a day) from ages 21 to 45. It is a very hard addiction to give up but yes it really and truly can be done. I haven't had a cigarette in almost 20 years. I did use the nicotine patches to help me through it as that and nicotine gum were about the only things available and only by prescription at the time. I did drag it out longer than they say, but it worked. Slowly I was able to decrease the strength of the patches and then was without them. My DH was still smoking at the time so maybe the second hand smoke in the house helped me in my withdrawal. I didn't find it hard to be around the smoke. A few years later he also stopped smoking using patches. While you think they are expensive (and they are), how much are you spending on cigarettes? And eventually think of the money you will not be spending on cigarettes. One of the keys is being patient with yourself. Like other addictions you have to think of it as one day at a time. It really did make it easier for me, and recognize that this is doable. And come here for extra support when you need it.

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
Reta

Post by Reta »

I used to smoke but 6 days in hospital with no ciggies gave me the incentive to stop

If its a health issue go see your doctor there is help out there

But cold turkey worked for me

My downfall now is chocolate
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

I too, used to smoke--less than a pack a day, and quit smoking almost 23 yrs ago. My younger son was 5 at the time, and ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. His pediatrician asked if I smoked, and when I said yes, she quick sternly advised me to quit ASAP!!! She went on to say that she too had smoked at one time, and that she had stopped cold turkey--and added, if she could do it, then I surely could as well. I hated having my little one be that ill and figured, then and there, I was going to quit!!! When my son was released the following day, instead of throwing away my lovely smokes, I kept them right in plain sight on my kitchen counter!!!! I made hubby smoke in the garage, so as not to subject our son to the smoke but I refused to cave in to smoking. LOL that carton of cigarettes sat on the counter for a full year until I finally figured out that I truly had kicked the habit!!! Now, if only I could convince hubby to quit!!!!
Good luck with quitting smoking--it CAN be done. Oh, by the way--I pretty much started another addiction when I quit smoking---hehe cross stitching :lol: :lol:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

noctifyre

Post by noctifyre »

My father smoked for the longest time, but managed to quit some years ago... it was difficult for him, as I'm sure it is for anyone attempting to kick a bad habit, but he succeeded.

It might take time, but I have no doubt you'll be able to succeed as well, especially if your will to quit is stronger than the one to give in.
WIPs
Chickadees On A Branch (Dimensions Stamped)
Free Flight (Dimensions)
A Season For Everything (Dimensions Stamped)
Snowflake Elegance Ornaments (Dimensions Gold)
efhawks

Post by efhawks »

My grandpa quit by eating an apple every time he got an urge for a cigarette. He can't stand apples anymore because he ate some many but he also doesn't smoke. :P
Always keep your words soft and sweet, in case you have to eat them.

If you take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

Erica
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

I smoked 2 packs a day for close to 20 years when I quit using the nicotine patch, taking half the time the program suggested for success. I chose Mother's Day as my quitting day as a gift to myself and my family.
It was extremely hard but I had just gone through deaths of 2 young friends (both under 40)from lung cancer who left behind small children. My son was 4. I started having horrible nightmares of him kissing me goodbye on my deathbed. That painful image was my motivation any time I felt I couldn't carry on. 18 years later, I have not touched one since.
Go beyond the usual reasons we all know for quitting and find what the impact is on your life personally. Get a strong image in your mind of what it looks like when you are no longer smoking and hold on tight to that. Half a day will soon become a whole day, a whole week, a whole month....
You are worth it and you can do it with whatever method you chose!
We're here for you and sending you strength!
Cheers :grouphug:
Trylla

Post by Trylla »

I will be smoke-free for 7 years this coming March. I used to smoke easily a pack a day, if not more, from age 14 to 29. Quitting was challenging, particularly the first three days. I was an irritable, miserable person, but once that first bout of withdrawal is over, it gets easier and easier.

Best of luck!! I believe in you.

Trylla
Trylla
WIP
Drama Queen - custom chart (skitzzzzz)

My Blog
Nina

Post by Nina »

Good luck! Maybe you should replace it with another habit first? Everytime you feel the urge for smoking do something (perhaps relaxing) and eventually you'll get over it. Just a thought, good luck to you!
HAED wip's: SHH Now ~ QS A Bunch of Love ~ Diamond ~ Wrath ~ Evolutionistic ~ Mermaid (Marchetti)~ Sunrise ~ Garnet ~ Cerridwen ~ SK Blue Moon (2012 SAL)

I See the Light ~ PR Mystery SAL

My blog
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Good on you! I quit smoking just over a year ago now after three failed attempts. This time I used an electric cigarette, I started on the max nicotine cartridges and just weaned my way down until finally I was smoking nicotine free ones. I found it really helped with the actual physical habit of smoking itself. I must admit that even with the nicotine I had a few tough days, there are all manner of chemicals in cigarettes that your body is used to so be prepared. My advice...warn your friends and family that you may be a bit tetchy and read up on what other side effects you may experience, there are many that are not widely acknowledged but are possible and its good to know what to expect!
I applaud you for doing this and if you ever need someone to vent to you can pm me if you like. All the best, I'm sure that if you are determined and if you are doing this for you then you will succeed!

Sam
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

I have never smoked so can't give a personal comment.Dh1 gave up smoking at age 27..he had no option as he was hospitalised for six week with a collapsed lung due to his 80 per day habit.That was before I met .him.He had no desire to smoke after leaving hospital. He died of lung cancer 20 years later.
DH2 gave up smoking ,he was a very light smoker.He did have acupuncture and that worked.He no longer smokes an that was 20 years ago.
As long as you have the real desire to give up you will be fine.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
rogueprincess20

Post by rogueprincess20 »

Good luck! When you quit thats just more money for stitchy stuff lol.

I quit smoking about a month and half ago so its fresh in my mind how difficult it can be. Me and my cousin were to quit together and to give us a little incentive we decided that at 1 week, 1 month, 6 months and 1 year we would get a gift for ourselves with the price increasing the longer we went.

We set a date that we both agreed on and I let everyone I knew know I was quitting. Everyone luckily was really supportive and whenever I felt the urge for a cigarette I talked to someone and they encouraged me to not smoke one. I did it cold turkey because the patches irritated me and made the arm itchy, the gum tore up my moms mouth so I wasn't too keen on trying that and chantix well I didnt want to risk the side effects.

The important thing IMHO is that you really want to quit. I had tried quitting before to please others and it never worked but when I finally wanted to for me it worked.
ayna

Post by ayna »

Stitchinkitty has hit the nail on the head: success in this will only come if you, yourself, really want to quit. It sounds as though you already know you don't want to be a smoker any more. It will, however, still be a hard thing to do. After having been a smoker for more than 40 years, I finally succeeded 8 years ago. I attended an NHS quit smoking course ( I had to get my GP to recommend me to the authority). Now, I have to admit that, being an awkward type, I didn't take any of the substitutes that were strongly recommended: the reason for success this time was, I think, in addition to my really wanting not to be a smoker any longer, due to the fact that we met once a week as a group and, having made a fairly public statement of intention and `awkwardness' I was not prepared to admit failure and, therefore, refused to let myself fail. Stubborness, pride, arrogance? - but it worked for me. However, it wasn't at all easy and I had some very black days. Much of my `replacement activity' consisted of being more physically active (gardening etc) than before because I had never smoked when walking, gardening etc. I also had a special motivation in that my daughter was expecting her second baby and I really had come to dislike my smoky self after her first had arrived. If physical diversion is not an option for you, you do need to find something different to focus on during the withdrawal period. Can you ask your GP if there are any support services available in your area?

I wish you success; if you succeed not only will your health improve, but you'll have such a sense of pride in your achievement that you'll feel better about yourself overall. And just think, all that extra money to spend on something which is not threatening your health!!!!! You could, when you start `quitting' put aside, each day, the money you would have spent on cigarettes and watch it mount up; that can be quite an incentive!!

Best of luck to you.
janny

Post by janny »

January 6 is the 4th anniversary of my giving up smoking! I was a 40 a day for 40 years smoker and I must say it was the best decision I ever make. I did it with the help of "champix" prescribed by the doctor, and never really noticed any side effects.
Good luck, and never say never!!

Cheers Jan
kell

Post by kell »

Allan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking - brilliant book. I know many people (including myself!) who have quit using this book. I had no withdrawal symptoms or cravings at all using it. No patches or nicotine replacement of any kind. :)
BizzieLizzie

Post by BizzieLizzie »

I've never smoked, so I can't give any advice, but I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines! :mexicanwave:

No matter how hard it is to give up, PLEASE persevere for the sake of your health. My Dad and my aunt are the only two people in our family with serious health problems - Dad had a stroke a couple of years ago and we learnt on Christmas Eve that my aunt has breast and lung cancer. They are also the only two in our family who smoke. Coincidence? :thinks:

Good luck, and we're here for you anytime. :wub:
Sew many patterns, sew little time!

WIP
HAED Drawing Room
HAED Stitchers Retreat
Lion Profile
Coniferous Forest

Lulu22

Post by Lulu22 »

I smoked from the age of 14 until I was 33 (I'm now 37) and I smoked 20 a day, I used the nicotine patches which I got from the health center, if you go along to the doctor you can get half price patches from the NHS they support you and they won't give you a perscription if you've been smoking they can detect it with their machine.
I gave up because I always seemed to have a cold and short of breath, I told my son I would give up because I wanted to live to see my grandchildren, which my father never did as he died aged 45 from cancer (40 a day smoker) and I did not want to end up the same way, I hope you can give up Tony its very hard and I have failed in the past, but after the first two weeks it gets easier and after a few months it like you never smoked at all. I would have a boiled sweet everytime I felt like a fag some people say get the pretend cigs but I wouldn't advise that because you have to get out of the having something in your hand habit too.
Good Luck Tony let us know how you are getting on.

Lulux
WIPS
Snow
Gamer Nouveau
Clara
Meadow
tubbsy24

Post by tubbsy24 »

I smoked from age 14 to 56 when I suddenly found myself needing open heart surgery. I was told to give up otherwise it meant the surgeon's would be wasting their time operating so hubby made me stop. It was unbelievably easy. Although hubby was a heavier smoker than me he said he would give up too and he did it even easier than I did. Sadly it was too late for him and he died from lung cancer a few years later. Forget all these aides on the market and just quit. The financial benefits alone should be an incentive to stop if you really want too.
Carol

Love is......an act of endless forgiveness
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I Had a motorcycle accident and was in hospital for eight weeks and gave up smoking whilst getting better I went cold turkey it was the best thing I ever did even though cold turkey is hard. Only advise I can give is you never fail until you give up giving up, good luck