Would appreciate some help

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

elkwoman

Would appreciate some help

Post by elkwoman »

Hello everyone.

I'm brand new here, and very happy I found this forum.

I have a request...yup, right from the git go!...lol....I purchased last year a beautiful counted cross-stitch kit from Asia....it's a portrait, (which I want to
make for my son), of Chinese General Guan Yu......

While it is richly detailed and intricate, my problem is that it comes with no instructions....and the color chart has me totally stumped.

Problem being, in that there are at least 2 colors for every symbol, and I'm mystified as to what goes where....even looking at the picture.

If I can figure this out with anyone's help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Probably got in over my head, but the individual portrayed is just about my
son's favorite character from Chinese History....which he's studying in college...
so it seemed as tho it would be a great gift.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd certainly appreciate hearing your suggestions.

Thank you so much, and profuse apologies for jumping in right off with a tail twister!

Jan
Rose

Re: Would appreciate some help

Post by Rose »

Are you sure that every square is calling for 2 colors????? I have seen patterns that will use what is called tweeding, that is were 2 colors are combined (one thread of 1 color and 1 thread of a second color) to get a shade that is just a bit off from the other one but usually there are a few of the tweed colors and then the rest of the symbols are a single color.

The other option that came to me is that possible they are giving you the option of using DMC or Anchor and the 2 numbers are there for both companies but are not meant to be combined.

I am sorry I may have confused you more then helped. Is it possible to take the pattern directions some place to get them translated. Like a college or culture center?????
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Can you post a photo of the top of the floss key, with column headings and such? Either of Roses suggestions may be right.. either floss numbers for 2 companies, or blended/ tweded colors ( although, a chart of ALL blended colors would be strange).
Stitchinkitty

Post by Stitchinkitty »

Detailed and intricate makes me think the entire design is tweeded-one thread each of two colours.You said there were two colours listed against each symbol so tweeding seems logical.If the two colours were listed and no floss supplied then it would be you are given a choice of two flosses to buy,but they would still have needed to provide floss make and numbers.
I'd try to cross reference the symbols with the colours and then locate them on the chart.That way you can see if they match up.
I did go to our trusty friend Google but didn't find a kit like the one tyou mention.
Good luck with the General.
Marilyn in SE Queensland

"People who hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~mmoorhouse" target="_blank" target="_blank"
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

I'd agree with the blended approach
MaggieM1750 wrote: ( although, a chart of ALL blended colors would be strange).
Actually not all that strange for things like Scarlet Quince's. My SQ has, I think about 5 solid colours versus somewhere in the region of 100 blends....
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal