Interesting

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Rose

Interesting

Post by Rose »

I received my most recent Herrschner's mag today and look what was in there.......

I find it very interesting that our very own Amanda is putting together a paper doll set for her mag and surprise, surprise another mag and designer pops up with that very idea. If I was into conspiracy theories I would think some one was scoping out our forum and stealing ideas. :thinks:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
NinjaBetty

Re: Interesting

Post by NinjaBetty »

I do believe you are onto something there.
WIP HAEDs
Couch Dragon
Fall Fairy
Hush Little Horsie
Fauna
Gandalf at Bag End
QS Fairy with butterfly mask
QS Mystic Garden
Mini Water Dragon
Mini Midnight Secrets
SK Trick or Treat

My HAED BB name is Lynnster
calico

Post by calico »

Oh my! I do believe we might have a spy in our midst :( What a shame!
Amanda had better keep her ideas to herself from now on! :x :x
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
LastingAllure

Post by LastingAllure »

Oh wow that is really unfortunate :(
wwdiva

Post by wwdiva »

My, that does seem too coincidental. Too bad if we can't do what we love to do with sharing our wonderful ideas without worrying about them being scooped. :tantrum:
Lucky I don't have any clever new ideas.
Cheers :toast:
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Or maybe these are Amanda's??
Mystonique

Post by Mystonique »

It would be great if they were Amandas?

But I'm playing devil's advocate here - coincidences DO happen. I used to be a telephonist at a cab company and no word of a lie really bizarre coincidences were very common - eg, Jesus is a VERY unusual name in Australia (back then I'd only ever heard of one, in the Good book) but in one shift in succession calls came in from completely separate sources:
Call 1. Was a guy called Jesus booking a cab
Call 2. Was going to his friend Jesus' house.
Call 3. Was worried that her companion dog "Jesus" would not be allowed in the cab.
Call 4. The taxi driver who picked up the job was named Jesus.

Coincidences like this happened all the time. So maybe, maybe, this is just a coincidence.
Myst..
Nimble stitch

Post by Nimble stitch »

Lets hope this is a coincidence it would be such a shame if we cannot share our ideas
Karen

Work in Progress
Dress Makers Daughter - Nora Corbett
Best of British Street Party - Sandy Littlejohns & Deborah Lester
Santa's Sleigh (Christmas Eve Couriers) - Nora Corbett

Completed
Santa - Mirabillia
Mrs Milkybar Kid

Post by Mrs Milkybar Kid »

Cross stitch "Paper Dolls" in themselves are not an original idea - Stoney Creek has a leaflet for them which must be years old! The designs above are very reminiscent of the actual paper dolls that I remember from the 80s as a little girl. If you google paper cut dolls you will see that the paper versions have sort of made a comeback (you can even get Downton Abbey versions!) so it's not surprising that as a "trend" they have crossed over to cross stitch (just think of the "owl trend" there was in CS mags for ages!).

Amanda's designs were original in my eyes (and much better IMHO!) as she is designing with specific historical costume periods in mind (Victorian, Regency etc) there is no way I would ever stitch the designs above, but I am very excited to see Amanda's designs published towards the end of the year! As I said in her thread, she might be the first designer to get me to stitch on plastic canvas!
Amanda

Band Sampler (SANQ)
Elle Brodes des Lettres Carmin (Reflets de Soie)
Alice (Aury TM)
Mini Tears of Yesterday (HAED)
Miss Cherry Blossom (Mirabilia)

Instagram @mrsmilkybarkidstitches
Lessa54

Post by Lessa54 »

Also those ones in that magazine seem to be using the "traditional" method of little tabs to attach the clothes and I think Amanda is using magnets, which IMHO is a much better idea. I still remember the frustrations I had with the paper versions when I was young and the hooks broke or the outfit slid down etc on the doll.
WIP
Rose Window
SQ Sunday afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte - pgs 1-3 complete
HAED Curl up with a Good Book
Around the World in 80 Stitches - pts 1-12 complete
Mabel's SOTW - Jan-June complete
HAED BB Sal
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Nah, it's just yet another revival of an old thing! I well remember playing with paper dolls like this and I expect it was the basis of Amanda's idea, just changing it to cross stitch and magnets and all the other good ideas.

When I was a kid instead of the dolls I used to draw horses on card, colour them all in and then make little riders with a tab stapled to their middle so they could ride the horses! Spend hours and hours playing with them. I still have them, a precious remnant of a happy childhood! But I was wondering if I could revise it and do it with little decoupaged horses instead. Docoupage is my latest passion, as it fits every well with cross stitch.

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I like your different take on paper dolls, Niki!

Rose, I'm so glad you picked up on this -- as others have said it may very well be either a coincidence or evidence that paper dolls are making a come-back, but on the other hand it is good for Amanda to know so that she can look into it if she feels it may be an infringement on her copyright. This way she knows about these other designs and can decide what to do!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

Wow! Now that is interesting!! As they are quite a detailed set I guess they have been worked on for a bit longer than mine so maybe a coincidence? I hope they don't then see the magazine ones at Christmas and think I've pinched the idea from them!! But then, like quite a few of you have mentioned, paper dolls have been about for quite a while. Also, this set don't use magnets :) Thanks for highlighting this Rose.
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I can't see that it's anything other than coincidence, but you do have proof on here when you got the Idea Amanda!

Nxxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

There will probably be a race on with UK mags to produce something similar now :lol: At least it shows that the idea is workable.
backafteradozenyrs

Post by backafteradozenyrs »

I don't think anyone was spying here. IIRC, craft companies (like all companies) run on a yearly cycle (right now I'm getting a lot of Christmas crafting stuff) and they have to plan it 8 or 9 months out...coincidences DO happen!
Diana
WIP
Rejoice in Today Rooster=Stoney Creek
White Dorkings=Leisure Arts
White Wedding-Ellen Maurer-Stroh

Finished Masterpieces:
His Name Is Jesus
Never too old for teddy
Turn off the water sign
Debbies bookmark
Rose

Post by Rose »

I do not get in to the whole conspiracy idea and I was actually making that part a joke. It was just super funny to see the idea in another magazine when we had just discussed it on the forum recently. Amanda's are her unique idea and are going to use magnets so I am sure that there is no copyright or intellectual infringement. There are many paper dolls out there from all different companies.

But this makes me believe that the whole paper doll idea is a good one and should sell quite well.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Amanda G

Post by Amanda G »

I agree Rose :D It shows these are workable and likely to have a market out there too! Besides which, I am loving designing them as I used to do fashion design at college many years ago so I am putting together my love of XS designing and clothes designing :wub:
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

Amanda G wrote:I used to do fashion design at college many years ago so I am putting together my love of XS designing and clothes designing :wub:
Ideal!
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page