French knots

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

L_is_a

French knots

Post by L_is_a »

I have been cross stitching for many years now, buying really cannot get my head around French knots! I've tried everything including watching YouTube to see how others do them. Instead of French knots I have been known to used a small bead which is equally effective but it still isn't a French knot.

Do any of you have any tips please?

X
Lisa
MaggieM1750

Re: French knots

Post by MaggieM1750 »

You already do what I suggest.. switch it for a bead.
I am getting better.. but I still have to practice practice on bits of scrap before I do my "real" one.
Rose

Post by Rose »

The only tip I have is you have to hold the floss taunt all the way through the process if you let the floss go limp your knot will come out wonky.

I :love: French Knots I find them very fun.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
annastasia76

Post by annastasia76 »

the fix for your french knots really depends on your problem if they are to loose so not forming correctly then you need to tighten the loops around the needle then when you pull through don't let go of the loops until you have pulled the thread all the way through and it is tight. If the loops on the needle seem so tight that the needle won't pull then try to use a needle that has the eye the same width or almost the same width as the needle shank, it will be hard to thread the needle because the eye will be tiny but I haven't had too many problems. I can't find my needles right now or else I would tell you what they were called. They are used alot in heirloom sewing.
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I'm still not great at doing these, but am much better since joining Mabel's SAL. Mabel's directions are very clear and her SAL blog has great photos. If you don't have access to it, this tutorial is a really good one. Mary Corbet's video tutorial. My knots got better when I learned that after twisting the thread, you are supposed to go down next to the hole you came up, not in the same hole. I was doing that for years and most of the time my knots were so wonky. Mary Corbet's tutorials are generally the best ones I have found. Good luck with those temperamental knots!

Carole
:thinks:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
msufly

Post by msufly »

I couldn't manage a French knot until I watched a YouTube video and saw that my problem was that I was putting the needle back down the same hole it came up through. You need to put the needle in the hole next to it or pierce the aida right next to the first hole, etc...then it worked for me. I haven't been able to make them consistent in size yet though...
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I didn't know that you weren't supposed to go back down in the same hole! No wonder those little boogers have been so tricky. Thanks!
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
fccs

Post by fccs »

verajane wrote:I didn't know that you weren't supposed to go back down in the same hole! No wonder those little boogers have been so tricky. Thanks!
:-)

I pretty much have given up on French knots and now do Colonial knots. I find them easier to do, and sturdier (but that could just be me being angry at French knots in general for being so uncooperative over the years).
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Mrsadm

Post by Mrsadm »

annastasia76 wrote:the fix for your french knots really depends on your problem if they are to loose so not forming correctly then you need to tighten the loops around the needle then when you pull through don't let go of the loops until you have pulled the thread all the way through and it is tight. If the loops on the needle seem so tight that the needle won't pull then try to use a needle that has the eye the same width or almost the same width as the needle shank, it will be hard to thread the needle because the eye will be tiny but I haven't had too many problems. I can't find my needles right now or else I would tell you what they were called. They are used alot in heirloom sewing.
Are you referring to milliner's needles?
WIP
1. "Two Yellow Houses" (Little House)
2. "Elizabeth Saville's 1841 Sampler"
moogypop

Post by moogypop »

I've never actually managed to do a French not. My current WIP requires a couple so ill have to have a bash at them! If I can't and use beads will it look okay once framed?
WIP:
Bothy threads - Christmas cupcakes

moogypops.com - Craft Blog
annastasia76

Post by annastasia76 »

finally found my box with needles, yes it was the milliners, the others I like are called straw needles
cairee

Post by cairee »

french knots: pull your thread up through the fabric all the way. wrap the thread around the needle twice and put the tip in the next hole over, dont pull it through yet. pull the thread so the loops around the needle are snug against the fabric, hold the thread tight with a finger close to the needle. now pull the needle through keeping the thread tight with that finger you placed near the needle, dont let go until the last moment. you should have a lovely french knot.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
thegrindre

Post by thegrindre »

I know you said you've watched many YouTube videos. This one was the best for me.
Notice, and as Rose said, she keeps the thread taught all the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SofI20Adt3c" target="_blank" target="_blank
Mr. Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap.

Stop by my web site for free charts,
My Cross Stitch Stuff
Also;
Rick's Recipes for Singles
donna1911

Post by donna1911 »

I'm with FCCS on this one... While I can do the French knot, I find it easier to do a Colonial knot and I can keep them consistent. A while ago I did a Harvest Cornucopia, the corn was all colonial knots.... Once I have figured out how to post to my gallery, I'll add a picture of it
Donna

WIP's
Black Capped Chickadee (Sharon Pope)
Star of Wonder (Carol Emmer) (finished except for beadwork)

Recently Finished
Cedar Waxwing in Winter Hawthorne (Sharon Pope)
Dear Santa (D. Morgan)
EMS Flower of the Month