Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

stitchingmae

Re: Confessions of a Cross Stitcher

Post by stitchingmae »

oh, duh why didn't I think of this? LoL thanks for the tip!!
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

I probably answered this before but I'm too lazy and exhausted to look, so I'll add in a few myself.

a) I lick my threads like crazy.

b)My mom gets on me about my backs but I don't really care too much. It's like the harder I try to keep them pretty the worse they look. But I do try to prevent lumps.

c) I have a HUMONGOUS stash that will take a dozen people their entire lifetime to complete, yet I still add to it. I buy on Ebay, I have people send me kits daily from another message board not related to stitching, I buy on my own and I ask for some as presents. It's an addiction. A bad one.

d) I have about 12 WIP's going right now. I guess some have become UFO's but I will get back to them. I actively work on 2-3 at a time, though. I split my days between my apartment and my parents house. Each residence has a different WIP.

e) I stitch things as gifts but I know half of the recipients don't really appreciate it.

f) I'm an extremely slow stitcher. I can work for an hour and have very little to show for it. But I still like to show off my work on here. I'm not advanced, yet I still like showing off my work on here to receive the positive praise. It keeps me going.

g) I use needles when they are bent. I often have a favorite needle and use it way past it's prime.

h) I put too much pressure on myself to work on my projects when I'm not feeling well. I put pressure on myself to get "x" amount finished a day and when that doesn't work I beat up on myself.
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Nimble stitch

Post by Nimble stitch »

Oh dear I've got a confession I've just got to share with you all in the hope that you can a) Reassure me I'm not a bad friend b) reassure my behaviour is normal?
My friend Lorraine and I have been best friends since we were seven which is now coming up to almost fifty years and we are like sisters. Last night I was going to visit her but my stitchy mojo as come back, all day at work I kept thinking i would rather stay at home and stitch tonight, thankfully I did fight the urge and visit but it was so hard.
Karen

Work in Progress
Dress Makers Daughter - Nora Corbett
Best of British Street Party - Sandy Littlejohns & Deborah Lester
Santa's Sleigh (Christmas Eve Couriers) - Nora Corbett

Completed
Santa - Mirabillia
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

Nimble stitch wrote:Oh dear I've got a confession I've just got to share with you all in the hope that you can a) Reassure me I'm not a bad friend b) reassure my behaviour is normal?
My friend Lorraine and I have been best friends since we were seven which is now coming up to almost fifty years and we are like sisters. Last night I was going to visit her but my stitchy mojo as come back, all day at work I kept thinking i would rather stay at home and stitch tonight, thankfully I did fight the urge and visit but it was so hard.
I'm sure your friend appreciated the visit!! I will admit to skipping out on a few outings just so I can stay home and stitch.. Sometimes you really need to enforce the me time :wink:
wjreese

Post by wjreese »

I have found that stitching takes away from the time I should be practicing guitar. But I don't much care. I do try to divide them up equally.

My first project was a kit. I messed it up badly and quit. I bought the same kit again and messed it up again!!! (But I moved on, hehehe)

I didn't take the advice of the nice lady at the stitching store and did not mark my progress on my first really big pattern. It has left me hopelessly lost on this huge project. I am still putting off going back and marking it now.

Sometimes I'll cheat and go several spaces when I'm backstitching.
wjreese

Post by wjreese »

Nimble stitch wrote:Oh dear I've got a confession I've just got to share with you all in the hope that you can a) Reassure me I'm not a bad friend b) reassure my behaviour is normal?
I don't know if the phrase "No harm, no foul," is used outside the US, but it certainly applies in this case!
AllStitchedUp

Post by AllStitchedUp »

I carry...not just a few stitches, but ALOT! I hate starting and stopping a thread, so I cut my string long and carry...30, 40, 50 or more squares.

I didn't know carrying was frowned upon until I started reading this forum.. I admit to carrying, but usually not this many spaces, my personal rule is no more than 7-10 spaces and definitely not over open fabric.

And I also use my thread until my needle won't turn around and still hold on to the thread...again, I HATE starting and stopping threads...I just want to stitch!!!!

I too hate starting and stopping, cut my floss in long pieces b/c of this, and stitch to the very last little bit of thread (just enough to tuck under at the end.

I have often thought about getting one of those needle/thread organizers so I can have pre-threaded needles ready to go, but still haven't decided if that would be a bigger pain than it would be worth...

-Nicole
Enjoy!

~Nicole
(AllStitchedUp)

WIP:
Lily of the Valley, Nora Corbett
August Peridot Fairy, Nora Corbett
Alpaca Cria, Jo Lynch (my first HAED!!!)

Completed 2014:
Girl With Cosmos
Phoenix Rising
AllStitchedUp

Post by AllStitchedUp »

9. I, too, hate rethreading and will run my thread down to the very last millimeter before I restart again.
I also use a good 36" of thread instead of the recommended 18"? I can get more stitches in... :D
I measure from the tip of my nose to a stretched out arm. :)[/quote]

I stretch my thread from the tip of one set of fingers to the outstretched tip of my other set of fingers... Is this too long? Not for me \o/ I hate treading the next piece, wish I had a needle threading fairy that would have the next piece threaded on a needle and ready to for me :-)

Happy Stitching,
Nicole
Enjoy!

~Nicole
(AllStitchedUp)

WIP:

Completed 2014:
Girl With Cosmos
Phoenix Rising
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

AllStitchedUp wrote:

I stretch my thread from the tip of one set of fingers to the outstretched tip of my other set of fingers... Is this too long? Not for me \o/ I hate treading the next piece, wish I had a needle threading fairy that would have the next piece threaded on a needle and ready to for me :-)

Happy Stitching,
Nicole
And I'm the opposite! I hate dealing with long threads as I feel they slow me down - there's all that pulling to get it through the fabric - which also adds wear and tear on the thread, dulling the finish, and tempting the tangle fairy. It takes me less time to thread a new thread than it does to deal with the constant tangles and all the pulling, so I probably cut my thread shorter than most and just keep rethreading. 1 pull of the skein for HAEDs and 2 pulls for any stitching over 18 count.

I have the terrible habit of holding my needle between my lips while I'm getting more floss. Each and every single time I do this I have visions of something startling me and accidently swallowing the needle. Yet I continue to do it. I've stopped when working on my HAED since I have a magnetic needlekeeper attached to the fabric, but when working on smaller ornaments in my 6"x8" qsnaps, there really isn't much space for that. I really need to find a better way and actually stick with it!
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Gypsy57

Post by Gypsy57 »

NeedleAndFork wrote:
And I'm the opposite! I hate dealing with long threads as I feel they slow me down - there's all that pulling to get it through the fabric - which also adds wear and tear on the thread, dulling the finish, and tempting the tangle fairy. It takes me less time to thread a new thread than it does to deal with the constant tangles and all the pulling, so I probably cut my thread shorter than most and just keep rethreading. 1 pull of the skein for HAEDs and 2 pulls for any stitching over 18 count.

I have the terrible habit of holding my needle between my lips while I'm getting more floss. Each and every single time I do this I have visions of something startling me and accidently swallowing the needle. Yet I continue to do it. I've stopped when working on my HAED since I have a magnetic needlekeeper attached to the fabric, but when working on smaller ornaments in my 6"x8" qsnaps, there really isn't much space for that. I really need to find a better way and actually stick with it!

Same! I also cut them short- I get in a tangle otherwise, and I also do the holding-in-the-lips thing!! haha!
Hugglebunny

Post by Hugglebunny »

Pengwenn wrote:
9. I bought a 4 bedroom house when it's just me so I could have a craft room. My stuff use to fill a closet, now it fills the room.
This is so true! DH and I bought a new 4 bedroom house couple of years ago. As we don't have kids yet, I have my own craft room while the rumpus is the man cave! I never thought I could fill an entire room with craft (but I am also keen on patchwork, so my patchwork and cross stitching addiction have ensured that the room is fully utilised!)

My other confessions....

1. I lick the threads to get them through the eye of the needle
2. I am a perfectionist and will unpick as soon as I have realised that I have mistake whether the error is big or small
3. I try to make my back neat but it is difficult.
4. If the thread gets knotted at the back and I haven't noticed I will keep working the thread until it is finished. If there is a big unsightly loop hanging out at the back I will simply snip it off :p
5. I am paranoid about washing my work after it is finished, I am always worried it will unravel
6. I am excited but nervous about starting the 'mammoth' cross stitch kit
7. I am always searching ebay for new cross stitch kits
8. I will unashamedly stitch all day instead of doing chores around the house
9. I don't think I could give up my sewing room once we have kids. Surely they will understand that mummy needs her sanctuary to stay sane? :p
10" I love kits that are shabby chic/country style and that are pastel. I don't understand fractal kits or modern or abstract pieces :p
huggle bunny xxx

WIP
JCA Elsa Williams The Beaded Marriage Sampler
cairee

Post by cairee »

I have often thought about getting one of those needle/thread organizers so I can have pre-threaded needles ready to go, but still haven't decided if that would be a bigger pain than it would be worth...
a must have for projects with confetti, like HAEDS and Scarlet Quince. I have one that holds 50 needles. spend a little time loading my needle organizor, then spend lots of time stitching without threading a needle!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Rose

Post by Rose »

This is something that we have talked about in my stitching group and the majority of the members agree with me but a small group of ladies told us......all in good fun........ We are Cross Stitch Snobs.

So the confession...... I don't believe and this is totally a personal opinion and not meant to insult anyone, so please take it in a good way...... I personally don't believe that a project that is done in tent stitching is a true cross stitch project as there are no crosses.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
cairee

Post by cairee »

Rose wrote:This is something that we have talked about in my stitching group and the majority of the members agree with me but a small group of ladies told us......all in good fun........ We are Cross Stitch Snobs.

So the confession...... I don't believe and this is totally a personal opinion and not meant to insult anyone, so please take it in a good way...... I personally don't believe that a project that is done in tent stitching is a true cross stitch project as there are no crosses.
so true! all tent stitch makes it needlepoint or tapestry, no less beautiful though.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

Rose wrote:This is something that we have talked about in my stitching group and the majority of the members agree with me but a small group of ladies told us......all in good fun........ We are Cross Stitch Snobs.

I completely agree with you. I did try it once but unpicked it and stuck with full crosses out of personal preference. Don't get me wrong, people's projects that have been done in tent stitch look lovely but it's just not for me.
Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
bookknurd

Post by bookknurd »

I'd have to agree with the ladies in your group; sounds like snobbery to me! Haha, just kidding. :P That is an accurate opinion, but it's all needlework which is what I say I do anyway. :)
**Signature Under Construction**
(will update soon with current WIPs and other info :dance: )
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

When it comes to cross stitch, I use the basics.. DMC floss.. mainly because I don't live anywhere near a needlework store and I'm very much a tactile person.. for fibers, I need to see and touch in person to fall in love with them.

However, going off on a tangent, I am an absolute yarn snob.. I refuse to knit with acrylic, and generally prefer my knitting yarns to be hand dyed by smaller artists or produced by small farms/companies.. I believe I get a MUCH better quality product that way. Either that or I want handspun yarn, be it spun by someone else or myself. There is a quality to it that just can not be touched by machine spun yarn.

Also, I've found myself wondering lately if I could spin a thread suitable for needlework, rather than knitting.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
CuriousKitty

Post by CuriousKitty »

1) I lick my thread to get it through the needle.

2) I obsess over my backs like no other. I plan out how to work a color so I don't have to cary more than 5 or so spaces (unless it's like, 22ct then 10 spaces is only an inch and not that bad). Today while at the craft store I met a lady who's backs made me sigh with envy. Granted she was working on a very linear design and could get away with it.

3) I uh, 'minimize' how much I've just spent so my signifigant other doesn't flip out.

4) I will leave all of my projects in their hoops. And when I start a new one I will just buy a new hoop for it. Yeah. Uh... :whistle:

5) I will avoid Hobby Lobby at all cost unless I absolutely can't avoid it. If I can get it from the locally owned store, I will. But conversely, I rarely buy thread outside of DMC. It's just so universal... =x

6) If I'm bobbinating variegated thread, I will manipulate it so one shade stays on one side and the opposite color stays on the other.

In regards to tent stitch, don't think of it as "snobbery," think of it as just being technical! :dance:
AllStitchedUp

Post by AllStitchedUp »

Here's one more... Didn't even know I had this problem until I opened up a kit I had in my stash. I HAVE to take that thread off the pre-sorted cards and bobbinate them. I can't work off the cards, it drives me crazy. Floss ends everywhere and getting all tangled... I just can't do it.

Haha, this has been an interesting thread!
Enjoy!

~Nicole
(AllStitchedUp)

WIP:

Completed 2014:
Girl With Cosmos
Phoenix Rising
fccs

Post by fccs »

AllStitchedUp wrote:Here's one more... Didn't even know I had this problem until I opened up a kit I had in my stash. I HAVE to take that thread off the pre-sorted cards and bobbinate them. I can't work off the cards, it drives me crazy. Floss ends everywhere and getting all tangled... I just can't do it.

Haha, this has been an interesting thread!
One kit I am working on I took the floss off the cards and put it on a plastic floss keeper thing (it atually took three of them). It doesn't get quite as tangled because the cards are all floppy and annoying, and the plastic ones are pretty butterfly shapes. :-) My Disney project has I think six or seven cards and I hate them. I've bobbinated one card and keep thinking I'll do the rest, just using the cards for the blended needles.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends