Hello from New Hampshire

Welcome to our forum. This is the place to introduce yourself, if you wish.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

Leroy_B

Hello from New Hampshire

Post by Leroy_B »

Have a few minutes to compose my 1st post which as with any forum that I've registered, which are many due to varied interests. Yeah probably 1 in 50 a guy that stitches. Well my interest began when I bought a cross stitch for my mother and my aunt as a birthday gift since embroidery, arts/crafts and any creative hand crafted hobbies run in the family. I asked my wife (divorced) how difficult can the cross stitch gifts I bought be to do? She replied "you'll never be able to figure it out, it's beyond your ability. Besides your a guy." Well 1 hr prior to that comment I saw a finished wizard stitch work on 14 count Aida. I admired the craft whoever did the wizard, the colors on a black cloth and the beauty of the art. It was taken as an insult to my varied creative abilities, my imagination and my intelligence to what I can put my hands on so I took it as a challenge, a dare. I bought the wizard, stitched it, built the frame, cut the glass and hung it on the wall of the office/art room/mancave room I built in the basement. Later during the divorce my ex wife burnt it along with our wedding album. I moved on and have been stitching on black large Aida cloth pallets for 18 years when I can between all my other hobbies I make time for. Winters shorten my daylight hrs. that allow more time to catch up on what I'm working on now, Charts and Charms Alluring Sorceress.
Leroy
karen4bells

Re: Hello from New Hampshire

Post by karen4bells »

:wave: Hello and welcome to the forum!!! It sounds like you are indeed addicted to cross stitching and I hope that you will soon be sharing pictures of your projects. Anyone that is able to stitch on black aida is indeed more than a qualified stitcher.
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

vanessanjf

Post by vanessanjf »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Vanessa

A little progress every day adds up to big results

WIP
The adoration of the kings- Golden kite completed
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

Hello and welcome to the forum from Italy :wave:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Welcome from the West of Scotland! :wave: You're not the only guy on the forum here, so I hope you feel at home. (sorry about the wizard. totally out of order.)
Nachstenliebe

Post by Nachstenliebe »

:shock: She burnt it?! I guess it's pretty safe to say the divorce was probably for the best!
Welcome to the forum from Connecticut :wave:
littleturtlegirl

Post by littleturtlegirl »

Welcome to the forum from Virginia! :wave:
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:wave: Welcome to the forum from South Carolina! Hope you will post pictures of your work, some that you have finished and definitely your WIPs (Work in Progress). Besides wizards (sorry you lost that one) and Sorceresses, what types of things do you like to stitch?

Carole
:D
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
calico

Post by calico »

:wave: welcome to the forum !
I'm happy to hear you are no longer married to someone who would burn a cross stitch, yikes :tantrum:
Looking forward to seeing pics of your works!
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
NeedleAndFork

Post by NeedleAndFork »

Welcome to the forum! There are several other men here so hopefully you'll feel right at home.

I love that you made a point of proving her wrong by stitching the wizard. What a.... hmm.. bleepity bleep thing to say! Given that kind of attitude and her burning the finished piece (I guess she took it personally that you proved her wrong?) I have to agree with others that things probably worked out for the best.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
fccs

Post by fccs »

calico wrote::wave: welcome to the forum !
I'm happy to hear you are no longer married to someone who would burn a cross stitch, yikes :tantrum:
Looking forward to seeing pics of your works!
Same here, and hello from another Coloradoan.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
perftangel

Post by perftangel »

Hi and welcome!!!
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Thank you for the warm welcome. Destroying the wizard was one of many personal items that meant a lot to me. I still have the chart, a good many floss and extra Aida cloth to stitch another one. It'll be a part of my WIP very soon and easier second time around. So some things can be replaced other items heirlooms not so lucky. I've moved on to better things once the chaos settled and just picked up on many previous projects and hobbies I've always had in my life with peace of mind. This group involved here are very helpful in comparison to other forums. I'm going to say that it has a lot to do with patience and the mind is more at ease when relaxed and creating a beautiful image upon cloth. The world of art has always been one of the favored state of minds. Unfortunately very many look upon it and take it for granted not understanding the love and time taken.
Leroy
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:wave: Hi Leroy and Welcome from coolish Brisbane - just the sort of day to settle into stitching that is for sure.

How wonderful that you have been able to move on from the "chaos" and to still have the chart fabric etc to redo that lovely wizard design. Looking forward to watching you stitch it. :lol:

My mother, when in her late teens, did some beautiful oil paintings but alas not one of my talents which used to sadden me. The one day I realised that I paint pictures with my needle and thread, so all is well now. :D :dance:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Peepfaleep

Post by Peepfaleep »

Welcome from Massachusetts! Looking forward to seeing your work!
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

Welcome aboard. :) I have that Charts and Charms, Alluring Sorceress in my stash along with a wizard that goes with her. I don't remember the name of it, but it was also a James Himsworth design.

I live for many years just north of Boston, MA; but now I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We're getting a winter storm today. My husband was giddy like a little kid because he saw a snowflake -- his first since 1987.

WIP
fccs

Post by fccs »

Squirrel wrote: The one day I realised that I paint pictures with my needle and thread, so all is well now. :D :dance:
Years ago a friend stitched a design for me that reads: "With needle as brush and a palette of floss, I become an artist as I paint with a cross."
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

fccs wrote:
Squirrel wrote: The one day I realised that I paint pictures with my needle and thread, so all is well now. :D :dance:
Years ago a friend stitched a design for me that reads: "With needle as brush and a palette of floss, I become an artist as I paint with a cross."
:wub: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

Allyn wrote:Welcome aboard. :) I have that Charts and Charms, Alluring Sorceress in my stash along with a wizard that goes with her. I don't remember the name of it, but it was also a James Himsworth design.

I live for many years just north of Boston, MA; but now I live on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. We're getting a winter storm today. My husband was giddy like a little kid because he saw a snowflake -- his first since 1987.
Yikes, I'm working on the Alluring Sorceress now. I finished the wizard also, it's fine and dandy and intact. I live just north of Boston. Originally from Lowell. Let your husband know he's welcome to ride along with me as I plow snow, he won't be giddy anymore.
Leroy