OT - Olympics

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

fccs

OT - Olympics

Post by fccs »

I've been watching the Olympics, although not as much as usual. But I am totally hooked on curling! I DVR the curling and watch all of it. The strategy just intrigues me. Am I the only one who loves watching this sport??
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Squirrel

Re: OT - Olympics

Post by Squirrel »

Curling is interesting to watch but I didn't know that it was on at the Sochi winter games. Its played on frozen lakes down in the South Island of NZ - in the winter months of course - mostly in Central Otago at Naseby I think it is. I loved to watch them 'sweeping' ahead of the stone thingy (name escaped me).

Hope you enjoy watching it some more of it before the Games end. :lol:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I watched the Canadian men and women win gold :mexicanwave: :mexicanwave:
I usually don't watch it, but it is an interesting study in strategy.
My brother and his first wife used to play it for a while.
Linda
Rose

Post by Rose »

I have watched it and when I was growing up in Montana they would have it on the Canadian TV station that we got. Back then it was a lot different then what you see now but I just do not get the whole idea of what they are doing. I have read a few sites that try to explain the rules and listen to the commentators but I still just do not get it. It is fun to watch during the Olympics and I have seen quite a few of the games/matches whatever they call them. But understanding???????? :doh:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mabel Figworthy

Post by Mabel Figworthy »

I like watching it and even sort of understand what the "polishers" are doing but the tactics are beyond me I'm afraid :-).

(On a different note, may I just brag a little bit about the Dutch who managed to get 21 out of the 30 individual speed-skating medals, with three clean sweeps in the men's events?)
Visit Mabel's Fancies at www.mabelfigworthy.co.uk
WIPs
Elizabethan Beauty, RSN Certificate & Online
Waiting
Soli Deo Gloria, Mechthild, bling unicorn, goldwork & silk shading kits

Flights of Fancy (blog)
Mabel's FB page
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

:applesauce: :applesauce: to the Dutch men's events. Well Done :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Sally in Brisbane Australia

WIPS
Christmas Stocking from World of Cross Stitching mag. 262
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I'm loving a lot of it! The curling remains a total mystry to me despite reading up about it on wiki!!

I love the snowboarding and ski cross as well, and the figure skating is my favourite.

I can't believe the poor British speed skater who got disqualified two or three time!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

I suppose I shouldn't post on here since I am NOT a sports fan! I have seen just a bit of the Winter Olympics, but only perforce, when watching the news. However, I must say the curling is something new to me, and therefore slightly more interesting. I last truly watched Winter Sports when Torville and Dean won with Ravel's Bolero, which was fabby. Very beautiful.
But did I mention I'm not into sports? I just get annoyed because they remove my very few fave tv programmes to show Olympic and/or sports instead.
:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVDUTAn6Ttg" target="_blank"

Watch Leonard and the young singer! ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6JssTdnvw" target="_blank"

Cohen's son, Adam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiP3PkLoMdI" target="_blank
cairee

Post by cairee »

I love watching curling!
perhaps thats because I do actually understand the strategy, scoring and all. often I can predict what shot the team will attempt.
oh, and Yay for Canadian gold! :mexicanwave:
my other favourite is of course hockey. Love the womens gold game :applesauce: and looking forward to mens gold on Sunday!
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

I love watching the Winter Olympics, especially Figure Skating and the Ice Dancing most of all. Always have and still remember the absolutely perfect Bolero by Torville and Dean. And I loved seeing Davis and White :dance: :dance: :dance:. I watched during the day on the live streaming version on my iPad. Also enjoyed the snowboarding. Congratulations to the Dutch for the speed skating, also.
Curling is such a different sport. Very popular in Wisconsin where I went to school. I like watching it in bits and pieces.

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

Yep. You all can count me in on "loving" watching this sport.
Been watching "both" Olympics since I was a kid, 61 now.
Curling is just like "shuffle board", that triangle game on cruises, except it's played on ice.
1.The "object" of the game is to get as "close" to the center circle with the emblem, the "house."
2. You have 4 people on a team, lead, 2nd, 3rd, and "skips", team captains,
3. You get 16 stones,"rocks", 8 for each team.
4. "Sweepers" sweep in front of "rock" to clear any debris, or "melt" the ice to "speed" or "slow" the rock to the opponent's rock, to knock it out of the center.
5. The "yelling" or "screaming" is for the lead or goalie, person in the circle, to tell the "sweepers, how "fast" or "slow" to sweep to move the rock.
6. Each round is a "end."
7. 1 pt is scored for each "rock" closest to the center.
8. The team that wins 1st round plays 1st in the next round and they get a "extra" stone.

I am a sports fan, baseball, St. Louis Cardinals, my favorite bird, and football, Miami Dolphins, was born in Fl.
When little, Dad would sit the 2 older brothers down to watch the sports each Sat. and Sunday. I sat in on 1 of the games, and Dad thought it was "silly" for a girl, but I told him, I wanted to see what they were so interested in.
When it was baseball time, Dad told us to pick a team, except the New York Yanks, as that was his team. So I picked the Cardinals, oldest brother picked the Cubs, and middle brother picked the Mets.
Then in football, Dad picked the Lions, oldest brother picked 49's, middle brother picked the Saints and I picked Miami.
Dad would take the newspaper, at the appropriate time of the year and explain all the facts on the sports page.
I have tried, in the 40 years of marriage now, to explain to B/H the object of each sport to him, but he's like "What's the purpose of hitting a ball out of a ball field, or running a football down the field?" :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
So when it's baseball/football seasons, B/H just goes to bed. He's not into any sports, even though he proposed to me at a baseball game between my church and his, 40 years ago. :D :D My church won. :dance: :dance:

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D
Raine

Post by Raine »

I love the Olympics but must admit curling puzzles me. :thinks:
My blog: http://ravelldsleave.blogspot.com/

Finished in 2014 ~
By The Bay Needleart 2012 Mystery SAL
We Love Dogs
Warm Winter Woolens
TracyG

Post by TracyG »

I've been really enjoying watching the Olympics and I have to say that curling has been my favorite thing so far...all attitude but no drama!
WIPs:
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn
fccs

Post by fccs »

TracyG wrote:I've been really enjoying watching the Olympics and I have to say that curling has been my favorite thing so far...all attitude but no drama!
I love this sport for the strategy, and the attitude and sportsmanship of the athletes are icing on the cake. I have yet to see any pouting faces or disgusted looks in defeat. I admire athletes who can lose graciously...especially since in my mind, just being there is quite an accomplishment.

I still have the mens medal matches to watch (even though I know the outcome).

And yay for all of you whose teams have won medals (of any color)...and for any of you whose teams didn't medal, at least they competed, right?
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
TracyG

Post by TracyG »

I agree completely Debby! It's refreshing to watch athletes who genuinely embrace the concept of sportsmanship. And I have to say, I think those women on the curling teams are insanely graceful! I was completely transfixed by the little twist they give the stone as they let go...beautiful!
WIPs:
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn
Rose

Post by Rose »

I agree that many of the athletes need to learn how to lose as gracefully as they win. I do like the sportsmanship of the curlers and respect they show to the other teams and for the most part the snowboarders are good at showing other competitors respect.

At least most of them. The men from the US were terrible team mates this year, but the girls did a good job of supporting each other.
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
cairee

Post by cairee »

watching the Canada vs Sweden game
1-0 Canada end of first period.
GO Canada!
:mexicanwave:

edit:
2nd period SCORE by Crosby! 2-0 Canada!

Second edit:
half way throught the third, 3-0 Canada, we are so going to win this!

another edit:
its GOLD!!!!!!!!!
:mexicanwave: :mexicanwave: :mexicanwave:
:horn: :horn: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
feeling very good to be Canadian today
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

:mexicanwave: :mexicanwave: :mexicanwave: :mexicanwave:
Linda
rcperryls

Post by rcperryls »

:toast: :toast: to the Gold Medal Winners! Congratulations to our neighbors up North!

Carole
:dance:
WIPs
Star Wars Afghan:Chewbaca
HAEDs:
O Kitten Tree
Dancing with the Cat
Everything else "on hold"
2022 Finished: Star Wars Afghan: Princess Leia, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda, Finn, Rey, Poe, Han Solo,Darth Vader, BB8,Luke Skywalker
fccs

Post by fccs »

cairee wrote:another edit:
its GOLD!!!!!!!!!
feeling very good to be Canadian today
A very well deserved gold. Congrats!
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Cache la Poudre