French VS Colonial Knots

Tips, Tricks & Techniques - anything to help fellow cross stitchers.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

NeedleAndFork

French VS Colonial Knots

Post by NeedleAndFork »

I recently came across a tutorial for a Colonial knot that I decided to try out the next time I needed to do a french knot, and discovered I really like it! I can get the knot to sit much closer to the fabric and get a more consistant size knot with it rather than a french knot. Here's a pretty good video of how to do it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie-g-H2wvx4" target="_blank

Just wanted to share with everyone because I know some people struggle with french knots, so this might be a good alternative.

That said, if anyone comes across a video of how to do the colonial knot left handed, please post a link! I searched and didn't find it. I can fatfingerfumble my way through it right handed and still get a nicer knot than doing a french knot, but somehow when I try to figure out how to do it left handed myself, I make a mess. Go figure! It might help to watch someone else do it to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
My blog: Obsessed With Thread

My WIPs: Kimono Lantern Mermaid, Rovaris Alphabet Sampler Christmas Ornaments

Participant of: Ornament a Month SAL, Stitch from Stash Challenge
Reta

Re: French VS Colonial Knots

Post by Reta »

I always post that video when people ask about french knots as it seems simpler to do colonial But the same effect
cairee

Post by cairee »

maybe Im strange, but I sub colonial knot for french knots. I never had a problem with french knots, they always just made sense to me, but colonial knots are a very different animal.
:wip:
Mables 2016 SAL
Holland Springtime Mandalla (chatelaine)
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

cairee wrote:maybe Im strange, but I sub colonial knot for french knots. I never had a problem with french knots, they always just made sense to me, but colonial knots are a very different animal.
LOL---I'm glad I'm NOT the only one!!! I don't mind doing french knots but the colonial knots just do my head in!! :tantrum:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

fccs

Post by fccs »

I'm a Colonial Knot fan. French Knots and I never really got along, but Colonials just make sense to me.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Rose

Post by Rose »

karen4bells wrote:
cairee wrote:maybe Im strange, but I sub colonial knot for french knots. I never had a problem with french knots, they always just made sense to me, but colonial knots are a very different animal.
LOL---I'm glad I'm NOT the only one!!! I don't mind doing french knots but the colonial knots just do my head in!! :tantrum:

I am in this group as well. I love French Knots but to do a colonial it is like they are speaking Greek or something.

We are all so fun about our craft what works for one is a devil for someone else. :roll:
If you are looking for some one to help change you, look in the mirror
Mrsadm

Post by Mrsadm »

I have had trouble with French notes, so I will try colonial! Thanks for the suggestion!

French knots, no thanks auto-correct!
WIP
1. "Two Yellow Houses" (Little House)
2. "Elizabeth Saville's 1841 Sampler"
kimkat_tkl

Post by kimkat_tkl »

NeedleAndFork wrote:That said, if anyone comes across a video of how to do the colonial knot left handed, please post a link! I searched and didn't find it. I can fatfingerfumble my way through it right handed and still get a nicer knot than doing a french knot, but somehow when I try to figure out how to do it left handed myself, I make a mess. Go figure! It might help to watch someone else do it to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
I have a copy of "The Left-Handed Embroiderer's Companion" by Yvette Stanton which I found I've used a little bit since I've started projects with specialty stitches in it. In my opinion it's well enough illustrated that I have been able to do all the stitches I've tried.
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I don't mind French knots. The Colonial knot looks okay, too. I had to watch the video a couple of times before I could stop looking at her fingernails and actually watch what she was doing. :)

WIP