The CF, No-Rationalization, Stitch-From-Stash Challenge

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

gparr

The CF, No-Rationalization, Stitch-From-Stash Challenge

Post by gparr »

The challenge: In what remains of 2014, can you control yourself, limit what you spend for stash, and actually stitch some of the stash you've already purchased?
Begins: April 1, 2014, but join anytime you'd like
Who can participate: Anyone and you can join at any time.
The rules:
--Limit stash spending to an average of $25/month by the end of the year. That means that if you spend $25 in April and $30 in May, you need to limit yourself to $20 in June to get your average to $25.
--This includes spending for anything stitching related, other than finishing/framing. That means if you need new needles or scissors, they count against the $25. Use what you have. You'll never stitch it all anyway.
--$25 is $25. If you receive a gift certificate for $25, that does not entitle you to spend $50 that month. The idea is to control how much you add to your stash and work on what's already been purchased.
--No rationalization means no excuses, justifications, tap dances, going nuts because there's a sale, blah, blah, blah. You commit yourself to purchasing no more than $25 on stash supplies in a month, period.
Reporting: If you join, you commit to posting a report at the end of each month. A separate thread will be set up for each month. That report consists of
--How much you spent that month
--Your average spending to date (Yes, if your average exceeds $25, you have to report it so other members can beat on you for spending too much.)
--At least one photo (photo quality is irrelevant) of progress you've made that month on stash items. Multiple photos are certainly permitted. Feel good and show off the fact that you're reducing your stash pile.
--If someone doesn't report, all other participants are expected to apply severe peer pressure on that person through posts and PMs to force them to post. Trash talk and cheap shots are permitted.

That's all I can think of. Commit to the challenge by signing up here. Post questions in this thread, but if they involve some form of trying to find a loophole, my response will be either "See the rules." or "You're rationalizing." Watch for a separate reporting post for April.

Gary
Last edited by gparr on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gparr

Re: The CF, No-Rationalization, Stitch-From-Stash Challenge

Post by gparr »

I'm in.
Gary
Lori0

Post by Lori0 »

Please add me the your challenge. Thank you.
[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Ha ha.. love that last bit about peer pressure and trash talking. That's what got me... I'm in on this one.

My struggle will be to actually stitch and put my sewing machine away! I need to get going on these baby projects. One is due in July the other in August! And keep going on the 4 others that MUST be done by Christmas.
So, I'm fair game, open to any and all harassment on making progress on stitch projects.
gparr

Post by gparr »

MaggieM1750 wrote:
So, I'm fair game, open to any and all harassment on making progress on stitch projects.
Then you'd better starting heating up that needle. I keep wondering when that Chicken towel is going to get finished.

Gary
MaggieM1750

Post by MaggieM1750 »

Chicken towel is done! Strawberries are about half done.

Here's the link to the last page of that thread
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

I'm in!
gparr wrote: ...--Limit stash spending to an average of $25/month by the end of the year. That means that if you spend $25 in April and $30 in May, you need to limit yourself to $15 in June to get your average to $25.
And just a good-natured rib at Gary:
Don't ask him to help you do the averaging math. In this example, you'd be able to spend up to $20 in June. . .
Last edited by Allyn on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WIP
gparr

Post by gparr »

MaggieM1750 wrote:Chicken towel is done! Strawberries are about half done.

Here's the link to the last page of that thread
Looks great. Yay for you. Need to remove it from your signature. I keep thinking you're slacking. ;)
Gary
gparr

Post by gparr »

Ouch!! Guess I'll have to quit doing math in my head. I'd better correct that.
Allyn wrote:I'm in!

And just a good-natured rib at Gary:
Don't ask him to help you do the averaging math. In this example, you'd be able to spend up to $20 in June. . .
gparr

Post by gparr »

Participants so far:
gparr
Allyn
MaggieM1750
LoriO
Nimble stitch

Post by Nimble stitch »

Count me in. I've think I've converted dollars to pound so for me it's £15
Karen

Work in Progress
Dress Makers Daughter - Nora Corbett
Best of British Street Party - Sandy Littlejohns & Deborah Lester
Santa's Sleigh (Christmas Eve Couriers) - Nora Corbett

Completed
Santa - Mirabillia
jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

I'm in for sure. I've been trying to stitch from stash this year anyway, so making it official will be good for me.
One question though, I subscribe to 4 cross stitch magazines and the money goes out by direct debit every quarter. Do I have to take those subscriptions into account, or is this just for 'stash'? :thinks:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
coolpenguin

Post by coolpenguin »

I'm in! I've been stitching from my stash this year already except for a few baby gifts I had to buy for a dear friend who is getting married. I made up a list of everyone at the beginning of the year and what they're getting and I've been doing a good job of sticking to it.

Thanks for doing this!

It's sad how HUGE my stash is after a little more than a year in this hobby.

Question: Online friends and friends of friends send me random kits pretty much weekly. I don't ask for them and never know what I'm getting. Will this hinder me in the challenge?
WIP's
various mini's
OCEAN ABC

Finished in 2017
See my Stitch a Long
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

Having just spend four months of stash allowance in one go....but I'm not joining in, something like this would mean that I get cross at the restrictions and spend it anyway....so for the sake of my pocket, I won't do it but will enjoy watching you guys!!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
gparr

Post by gparr »

Magazines don't count. Free stuff doesn't count, either. It's free so it's not money you spent to acquire stash and it's rude to refuse it. But gift cards/certificates count because you are the one spending the money. Splitting the hair a bit, I realize, but our mothers taught us that, when someone gives you a gift you accept it gratefully and smile. You also send a thank you note.
Gary
clockwork

Post by clockwork »

I probably should skip this. The only money I've spent on cross stitching this year was the postage for one manilla envelope to send a chart to someone else and that's unlikely to change for the rest of the year because I love my stash just how it is. I achieve more satisfaction from removing things from it than adding them. I've only got one thing on my wish list and it is so absurdly overpriced that I'm not really that tempted. Good luck to everyone else though. I agree with Rose's advice in the other thread. If you are tempted, go through the things you already have. There is probably something you've forgotten about that will call to you.
~Clockwork~

Cute Stuff! http://www.etsy.com/shop/ClockworkStitcher" target="_blank" target="_blank"

WIPs
House Mouse series
Frog Pile
Dimensions Gold Collection Aurora Cabin (on hold)
mags

Post by mags »

I am enjoying all the chat about this and would join up but I have an order currently brewing for Sewandso (nothing major - mainly threads and beads and bits and bobs which might go over the limit) and won't get it done before April. :wink:

And I'm not one for spending a lot - I really have more than enough to be going on with and can't imagine spending anything like the monthly allowance. :lol:
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
guenever

Post by guenever »

count me in. why not? i am not spending much at all right now. but i will want to get some nice fabric at some point for another project. but i guess if i get kicked out, then i do! lol

sure, count me in. :D
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
msufly

Post by msufly »

I'll join in. I'm the one that originally brought the blog-based SFS Challenge to the attention of the forum, with it's ridiculous exceptions. I signed up for that one because I knew I spent less than $25/month and why not sign up for something with a chance to earn a prize?!?!

I'm all for peer pressure, criticism, and praise too!
Kim

WIPs:
A Summer Ball - Sandy Littlejohns
Camelot Sampler - Teresa Wentzler
(And 14 more!)
TracyG

Post by TracyG »

I'm in and it's the promise of trash talk and cheap shots that hooked me! :wink: I'll probably blow a good chunk of my allowance during an upcoming trip (if I'm lucky enough to find the shop) but since it's an average and the rules are so straightforward, I think I can actually do this one! I think I'll go fire up my needle...
WIPs:
Hillside Travelers by LHN
The Library by LHN
Past, Present, and Future by Disney
Balloon Glow by Dimensions Gold
Little Sheep Virtues by LHN
HAED 12 Dancing Princesses
Grandma Twinkles by Janlynn