Nacho's fabric fun!

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

nachosmiley

Nacho's fabric fun!

Post by nachosmiley »

Hi all, I have been pretty much AWOL again as of late but there has been some reasons for this, most of which I won't bore you with but one of the reasons I AM going to bore you with....well hopefully not bore you :lol:
As some of you may know I'm a bit of a hand dyed fabric nut/stash hoarder/fabraholic :oops: and that got me thinking....maybe I should start dyeing my own.....which got me thinking....maybe I could set myself up doing this properly and possibly make some cash from something I love!
Soooo cue lots of research and scratching together a bit of cash for supplies and as of this week I have started dyeing! :dance: I'm not officially a business....yet. And I'm not offering anything for sale yet either, but what I would like is some feedback from you guys.

Here are my first attempts....I am trying to source a scanner atm so these have been taken with a camera both with and without flash....both are not right and the true colour is somewhere inbetween....all the pieces below are dyed on 32cnt murano, which dyes light....I will be trying out some jobelan and linen soon for a comparison as they take the dye better.

Image Image

A pretty green the closest DMC colour is 955

Image Image

A sky blue/grey combo DMC colours are close to 3752 and 415

Image Image

Purple and blue....closest DMC shades are 3608 and the blue is somewhere in-between 800 and 809

Image Image

A sultry bright pink and yellow....DMC shades are around 165 and 604

Image Image

And finally a purple and green....closest DMC shades 164 and 3727

My aim is to create colourfast washable hand dyed fabrics...I'm going to stitch some white on the pink/yellow fabric and toss it in the washing machine to see if the dyes I have bought actually are colourfast first!! :lol:

What are your honest thoughts about the above fabrics....what do you like/not like? What kind of colours would you like to see? Would you buy them? Would the fabric being colourfast sway your decision to buy? Anyone have any name suggestions for the colours?

A lot of questions I know but I really do want your HONEST feedback be it good or bad.

Hopefully it will be fun to share this baby business journey with everyone...it may just be a pipe dream but you never know unless you try right?
Last edited by nachosmiley on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Chatelaine Mystery XV-Deep Blue Sea 6/12
HAED Mini Fairy Book 43.55%
HAED Lady in the Meadow 13.07%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
mechie

Re: My new project...pic heavy

Post by mechie »

Those are amazing! I think you've done a fantastic job! My favorites are the first two, but then again greens and blues are my colors. :D I would absolutely buy colorfast hand dyed fabrics. In fact, I was looking for some when I made my little dragon dice bag, but my LNS didn't have anything colorfast so I ended up using a solid. I don't have any suggestions for names or other colors to do, but I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Please keep us posted on your progress!

mechie
WIP:
The Elementals (HAED) - Finished 9/42 Pages
Fall Fairy (Dimensions Gold) - Finished 4/4 Pages only backstitch left!
Springtime Roses Freebie (Chatelaine)
The Encounter - Finished 3/24 Pages (HAED)
speart

Post by speart »

OOOOH, love the bottom two! I'm curious--as I like to play around with natural, non-colorfast dyes on my own projects--what dye brand or process did you use? There is certainly a market for such fabric, especially if it comes in a variety of sizes.
Arianwen

Post by Arianwen »

ohhhhhh those are really nice! and i love the colour combos you have come up with. I'd definitely be interested in trying some of these when I get through my growing WIP and to be stitched pile! I have in the wings that are just waiting for the right hand dyed fabby so will keep an eye on how you get on!
Current WIP's

HAED What Lies beneath Dakota Daetwiler
Disney Dreams The little mermaid / Fantasia by MCG textiles/Thomas kinkade

Spinning/wool craft
Ramie in toureg/sunrise
Heather Mulberry Silk in 'Gladys
fccs

Post by fccs »

I love all of them. Do you think you'll do other fabrics (jobelan, lugana, Belfast, cashel)? Keep us updated.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

:applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: Beautiful!!!! Each of them is just amazing!!!! I'd also be interested if done on linen or lugana
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

mauveme

Post by mauveme »

All are gorgeous, I would have projects for them all.
Linda
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Wow some lovely feedback already and all positive...thanks! :D

I will definitely be branching out into other fabrics....I managed to get a large piece of murano very cheap and I thought it would be ideal for test dyeing....I have however had a metre of 28cnt jobelan and cashel linen arrive a couple of days ago so they will be next!

I have just stitched a square of B5200 on the pink/yellow fabby and it is in the washing machine as we speak......pleeeeassse don't run :beg:

My next experiment will be reproducibility.......my best stitchy buddy has picked out the blue/purple one so my next task is to see how accurately I can reproduce the colour on another piece of murano....but while I'm at it I think I will throw a piece of jobelan and linen into the same dye bath too and see how they turn out.

As for the dyes/process I'm using.....I'm not ready to divulge that just yet (that part took a lot of research!) only that they are not natural dyes and there is a chemical fixative involved to (hopefully) ensure a colourfast fabric....don't worry though the fixative is not nasty and is classified as a low hazard chemical.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
Allyn

Post by Allyn »

You asked for honest opinions and I'll give you mine. I'm looking at this as if I were a potential customer looking at your wares.

The colors are really nice. I like them all for different reasons and each is suited for different projects. They're all lovely.

If a piece of fabric is the color/colors I want, I will still buy it if it isn't colorfast, but I need to know up front. If I find hand-dyed fabric in the color I want, I don't continue the search to see if I can get it colorfast. I buy what I like when I see it, because with hand-dyeds, I might not find those 'just right' colors again.

I won't buy a piece of fabric if I know it's been washed with laundry detergent -- even gentle ones like Woolite or Deft. For the sake of conservation, I use only a ph-neutral, cold-water soluble detergent. I'm rather a snob on this point, I know; but the vast majority of your customers won't care so you can weigh this part of my opinion as you see fit.

I rarely buy fabric in a size less than a fat quarter. If the vendor doesn't offer fat quarters, at least, I move on.

Now that I've given you my business-like 'honest opinion,' I'll give you my personal feelings. :) I'm really excited for you. :) This is so cool!

WIP
Lori0

Post by Lori0 »

All the colors are wonderful. I do not have a LNS anywhere near me. So I have never stitched or bought hand dyed fabric like this. I see others work on it and feel like I am missing out. When looking on line for pieces, I would shy away because of not knowing if it would run.The colorfast would be a must for me. And I prefer jobelan 28ct. So please post your results after testing it. I would be real interested in purchasing.
[/iLoriO]
WIP
Crawfish Boil- Leslie Wristers
Nighttmare Before Christmas-charted by me
As of 2/9/2014 MIA
Antique Shoe Collection= Bucilla. start 3/31/14 from stash
carladee

Post by carladee »

Love, love, love, especially the pink and yellow one, that is awesome! :)
*~Carla~*

my blog
my Etsy shop

Currently Stitching - HAED - Hmpf!, Mario Sampler, Chatelaine - Deep Blue Sea, Song of the Weather SAL, Woodland Sampler SAL, L&L - Angel of Summer, Summer Tree of Stitches
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

The purple and blue for me, but only just! Fantastic!!

I also usually buy fat quarters but I suspect the only way of knowing what size is best is to see what gets ordered!

I think you have a talent for this, your colour combos are really interesting as are the patterns, interesting (again) yet wouldn't overwhelm the cross stitch.

Best of luck with this, keep showing us the trials!

Nikixxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
mags

Post by mags »

Oh I like the green and the blue ones. I personally have never considered buying hand dyed because they all seem to be non-colourfast non-washable - I would always want to wash my projects when finished. So it would be nice to see some colourfast fabrics available.

Good luck with your venture.
mags

WIPs:
Heritage Tower Bridge (yes still :roll: )
various bits and bobs
Emmylou

Post by Emmylou »

I'm not usually one for pink but I absolutely love the sultry bright pink and yellow fabric! Well done and good luck with this new venture :applesauce:
Emma Louise
http://emmystitches.com/
Cochonou14 on HAED BB

WIP
Wedding sampler
Café de Paris
HAED TT Kitten 2
Dimension's Travel Memories
HAED Mystic Garden
DMC's Vegetable Basket
HAED Mini Curl up with a good book
nachosmiley

Post by nachosmiley »

Thanks for the feedback everyone I really do appreciate it :D

When I get going I will be offering a variety of sizes and fabric counts and I would obviously be open to custom cuts too (however I haven't devised a pricing strategy for those yet).

Anyhow my lovely hubby found a scanner at the tip shop today for the pricely sum of £7 so I've been scanning in my new colours :D But first here is the white square that I stitched and tossed in the washer.....

:dance: The fabric didn't run :D

Next the reproduction test.....the original murano piece is on the left....

Image Image
Pretty good match....but the jobelan and linen I added to the same dye bath went a bit.....ahem bold!! Jobelan on the left.
Image Image

Now I don't mind bold and it does have it's place but finding projects for fabrics like these can be a challenge so my next experiment was to make more subtle colours on these fabric types as I think they will be better sellers than the murano. I came up with four colours I like and a couple of rejects but hey....this is the research and development phase and is to be expected.

First up is Iris (jobelan) DMC 809/209

Rhubarb and Custard (jobelan) DMC 3689/746

Serpentine (Belfast linen) DMC 164/3849

And finally Firestorm (jobelan) DMC no exact match but somewhere between 350 and 351

All have scanned quite well except that Firestorm is more orange in IRL and rhubarb and custard is more subtle to the naked eye.....I will post DMC equivalents later as the light is not good right now and I don't want to judge colours in artificial light!

Thanks for looking and as always feedback both good and not so good is very welcome :D
Last edited by nachosmiley on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
W.I.P.
My Altair chart 66.11%
Finishes
Duality
Zelda valentine
Beware of the DM
HAED SK Oak King
Magic Dragon
calico

Re: Nacho's fabric fun!

Post by calico »

Wow! These are absolutely stunning! I love the pink with the white square!You definitely have the talent for it and will be successful! We can all say we knew you back when..... :applesauce:
Calico

WIPs:
Glory of Autumn
Orchids & Hummingbird
Santa's Feathered Friend
Eagle's Majesty
Feasting Frenzy
Chickadees on a branch
Autumn Owl Trio - HAED

My Blog
My Flickr
My YouTube Channel
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Great work! I love the iris fabric!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
karen4bells

Post by karen4bells »

More beauties and I love the linen ones a lot!!! :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce:
Work in Progress
Dimensions Passion Flower Angel
Tempting Tangles Welcome SAL
Various small designs

jocellogirl

Post by jocellogirl »

They are just wonderful Sam. Good on you :applesauce:
Jo x

WIP:
Celtic Autumn

On the back burner:
HAEDs Rhyme and Reason
Trio Godspeed Sistine Chapel

Around the World in 80 stitches, Herbularius
crosstitcher1

Post by crosstitcher1 »

My vote goes to Iris and Serpentine. :applesauce: :applesauce: :applesauce: I'm not a "bold" color person, more of a "pastel" person.
Good luck on your adventure.

HAPPY STITCHING IN STITCHING LAND. :applesauce: :D :applesauce: :D