My first try with evenweave--tips please

For all topics which do not fit in the other categories.

Moderators: rcperryls, Rose, karen4bells, Serinde, Alex

guenever

My first try with evenweave--tips please

Post by guenever »

hi

sorry i haven't been around much. for over a month i have been dealing with my colitis. ugh. i am finally getting better. i hope.

any way i am still working on JE's dragonfly but during my crisis i have been really relying on my Faith and feel the urge to start work on my dracolair celtic cross. after Karen showed me than i can stitch a bit on linen i bought 28 Count Cream Lugana Fabric. i also got 26 and 28 size needles. which are the best to use? and also any tips on counting. i can easily count on aida--but i don't totally trust myself to count on linen.

any and all tips are appreciated! thank you so much in advance! and God Bless.

ps--lots of fractals.
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

Visit my site http://www.freewebs.com/guenever/

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
meganh

Re: My first try with evenweave--tips please

Post by meganh »

Well i use a magnifying light,can't see otherwise :D :D also practice with a small bit, just run some random stitches to get used to the feel and counting over two, hope this helps!! :D :D
Seeds of Friendship
Mermaids(Country Cottage Kids)
Various smalls and Christmas ornaments
Dessert makes me Happy
CCN Mermaids
Christmas Ornament SAL
fccs

Post by fccs »

Once you get used to counting over two, it's just as easy as anything else. Just remember to always cross the same direction thread (I always cross the vertical). If you cross the vertical and then notice you are crossing the horizontal, your count is off somewhere. I think you'll love it.
Debby

(main) WIPs
Angel of Love
Book of Mythical Creatures
Cache la Poudre
Past Present Forever
Fishing Friends
Serinde

Post by Serinde »

Slow and steady to start, and you'll soon get the hang of it. Lugana is a good beginner's evenweave: not slubbing and it doesn't seem to "move" the same way as, for example, Belfast. Relax and have fun. :P
Fizzbw

Post by Fizzbw »

I agree with the others, don't panic stay steady and you'll soon wonder why you stitched on anything else. You get your eye in to the counting quickly, though count and recount and recount if you are going further away from your bulk of stitching!

I'd start with one without too many fractionals, so not the Dracolair just yet, so you can get your eye in and feel comfortable. Then you will find that fractionals are so much easier on evenweave.

And of course we want to see your progress in the SAL board please!!

Niki xxx
Needle minders and grime guards etc https://www.facebook.com/CirrusCreations" target="_blank" target="_blank

WIP: Last Look HAED
Kauto Star by Skitzzzz
Coming Home SQ
Time and season sampler
cHristamas village
Oriettait

Post by Oriettait »

I totally agree with the others. You will soon realize that once you get started it is much easier to count that you expected as the crosses you already put in will guide you. Just be extra carefully counting when you travel far from the already stitched area.
As for needle size I would personally use a 28 but a 26 should be good too. Just try both and see what feels better to you. :wink:
I am really glad to hear that you are starting to feel better :dance:
--
Leave nothing on the beach except footprints
:wip:
HAED World Travel Bookshelf
HAED Tree frog
HAED QS Ladybug
HAED Dragon Rip
Instagram @oriettait
mauveme

Post by mauveme »

I was in a panic when I stitched for the first time on evenweave and now I prefer it. Once you get going the holes just seem to form into the square you need to stitch, (if that makes any sense). Just go slow until you get the hang of it and it won't take any time at all.
Linda
guenever

Post by guenever »

thank you so much everyone for your replies! i know i could count on you! i will post a proper reply tomorrow. i put in like a 10 1/2 hour day and i am zzzzzzzz....so yeah! proper reply tomorrow! thank you!
Linnea

God Bless!

"Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be."

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy
Kuschelschaf

Post by Kuschelschaf »

Yay!!! :) I'm glad you're going to try evenweave! I hope you'll find it as much fun to work on as I do!!

As the others have already commented, it's really easy, but it does take some getting used to. Counting over two seems daunting at first, but you'll get used to it after about 10 stitches or so. Also, if your pattern calls for fractionals -- those will be a breeze on evenweave. :) I always found them to be a pain in the rear-end on aida. :wink:

Have fun!!!!
Visit my new blog HERE

2019 finishes:
Mr. Sparkle
The North Wind
Nessie

On permanent hiatus:
Ferret in Sepia
guenever

Post by guenever »

thanks for all the encouragement! i may wait now until school is out--another month--to start the evenweave. i stitch mostly in the evenings on school nights--just 45 minutes before dinner. i feel like this project--especially if i take on the dracolair, as some of you noted is not easy---requires concentration and not rushing. a year ago i didn't even think i could do what i am doing now! so i guess you challenge yourself and move on. it is encouraging to hear that you all love evenweave so much and it just takes practice and getting an eye for it. thanks for the needle tips too.

again i cannot thank you enough for all the help and encouragement! God Bless! and when i do start i will post! i will probably cut a small section of fabric to just practice on first.
Linnea

God Bless!

WIP
Dragonfly Fairy